DVDVR Message Board

X-Men '97 (Disney+ Series SPOILER THREAD)

Casey

That felt like a season finale with one helluva cliffhanger. But I can't imagine they would kill off Gambit like that and he'll likely be in critical condition or something. Then again I could be wrong which would suck since we always liked Gambit. 

• Like 2

That last 20 seconds or so with Rogue and Gambit was fucking soul shattering, holy shit. This show might be the best thing Marvel has put out in YEARS. We’ll have to see if they stick the landing, and I’m sure they will, but oh my god. This is fantastic stuff.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Episode 4 was my least favourite.

Episode 5 I've seen people rave over without knowing why. Scrolled quickly to the bottom of the thread to post this. Look forward to seeing it.

11 year old is very annoyed with me that I’m not letting her see it until I see the next couple of episodes. I read the interview with the showrunner and it looks like time travel isn’t fixing this. Real case of “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”, but the execution was good.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Episode 4 was my least favourite.

Episode 5 I've seen people rave over without knowing why. Scrolled quickly to the bottom of the thread to post this. Look forward to seeing it.

Just finished Episode 5. Legit have shivers down my body. Fuck that was brutal.

• Like 2

I’m hearing the showrunner fellow that worked this season (the one that also got fired recently) posted something about future episodes.  He said something akin to “Episode 8 hits even harder than Ep5”.

I’m over here like… HOW???

I’ll brace myself nonetheless.  

This show rules the fucking world.  I’d bring that dude back if the only reason was he had an OnlyFans site.  He gets the characters.  

I even flinched at “that kiss” earlier in the episode. 

Spoiler

I was confused why Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost were not only in Genosha but allowed to have roles in the governing council. Maybe Frost turned over a new leaf after the Apocalypse incident, but Shaw weaseling his way in there didn't compute. Both were major red flags considering their roles in the Dark Phoenix Saga. 

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:
  Hide contents

I was confused why Sebastian Shaw and Emma Frost were not only in Genosha but allowed to have roles in the governing council. Maybe Frost turned over a new leaf after the Apocalypse incident, but Shaw weaseling his way in there didn't compute. Both were major red flags considering their roles in the Dark Phoenix Saga. 

You think Maddie might have had an issue at least.  

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Guessing its been a few years since that incident in the show, and their involvement is realistically probably not well known by anyone but the X-men. The Hellfire Club is a group of mutants with power and influence in literally every way. It makes sense they would take up leadership if given the chance. In general though that council felt like a bit of a shout to the Krakoan era that just ended.

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Um... 

Reveal hidden contents

that was... Gambit she was holding right?    Not Mags? 

Spoiler

Magneto I belive got nuked earlier and it sure looked like she was holding Gambit. 

If there's no time travel then my wife will be devastated. 

6 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

This show rules the fucking world.  I’d bring that dude back if the only reason was he had an OnlyFans site.  He gets the characters.  

Do I dare ask? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

Guessing its been a few years since that incident in the show, and their involvement is realistically probably not well known by anyone but the X-men. The Hellfire Club is a group of mutants with power and influence in literally every way. It makes sense they would take up leadership if given the chance. In general though that council felt like a bit of a shout to the Krakoan era that just ended.

Spoiler

OK but the leader of the X-Men was there, and a person with memories of the Hellfire Club and no one batted at an eye?

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

OK but the leader of the X-Men was there, and a person with memories of the Hellfire Club and no one batted at an eye?

Spoiler

I doubt they were happy with it, but the X-men don't run Genosha and likely weren't involved in the process that saw Shaw and Frost put in such high positions in the first place. 

42 minutes ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

I doubt they were happy with it, but the X-men don't run Genosha and likely weren't involved in the process that saw Shaw and Frost put in such high positions in the first place. 

Spoiler

I mean they are involved and lobbying for Magneto to be their president/king and he asked for Rogue to be his queen in exchange.

Edited by TheVileOne

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:
  Hide contents

I mean they are involved and lobbying for Magneto to be their president/king and he asked for Rogue to be his queen in exchange.

Spoiler

Yes, but that is clearly after Shaw and Frost have already been involved in the government. The X-men clearly had no say before then and weren't likely to try and argue over it now, especially Magneto who hasn't necessarily been at odds with the group.

9 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Magneto I belive got nuked earlier and it sure looked like she was holding Gambit. 

If there's no time travel then my wife will be devastated. 

Do I dare ask? 

Not much to share at the moment.  Neither this Demayo guy nor Disney is saying much about his dismissal.  I can say that I’ve read that Disney already has scripts he wrote for season 2.  So that sounds kinda good for the show.

The show runner guy has an OnlyFans is the supposition. 

Hopefully, this dude was just too hunky beefcake for the execs to handle and not a too handsy Spacey situation.  Then maybe bring him back for season 3?  

Edited by Brandon Bones
Context

The rumor was that he was fired from The Witcher for being physically and emotionally abusive to other staff, so who knows. Jeff Sneider says that was the case on X-Men ‘97 as well.

A lot of the stuff happening in the 97 cartoon is adapted, re-arranged, remixed from the comics. Sometimes not in order. They can combine the E Is for Extinction, Mutant Massacre and parts of the Krakoa arcs into one if they want to. Some stuff probably won't happen at all either. 

Edited by Kang

14 hours ago, Matt D said:

Going back through ep 5 with the 11 year old. Did people notice the Watcher in the stars before everything went down? 

I did. Forgot to mention it. Cheers for the reminder.

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

Seriously? Fuck, now I have to rewatch.

Here you go:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKyzeExXUAANURj?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Thanks 1