DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

TBF, Washington was coming to interview both him and Aaron Glenn and are expected to still interview Glenn.

As far as Glenn goes, his players love him but the defense wasn't very good, especially the second half of the season. Some of it is talent, they desperately need a second pass rusher opposite Hutch and general improvements in several spots, but I'm not sure why he's considered much of a candidate this year. Feels like, of the two, Glenn is the one that could use more time as a coordinator.

I'm not sure how anybody could watch the Lions' defense and think they were schematically excellent or well-coached. They gave up 384+ yards in their last 6 games. Points-wise, they were better, allowing 23 or fewer in the 6 games before San Fran, but... bottom line: Detroit's defense scared no one. 

8 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

EVERYONE else said no, huh?

Per all reporting - their top 2 choices were Ben Johnson and Mike Macdonald.

Johnson pulling out (for whatever the actual reason is) boned them

• Like 1

So we all know owners talk to each other, is Vrabel THAT hard to get along with/manage and that spread around? There didn't seem to be much interest in him at all even though by all accounts (including my own eyes) he was a damn good coach. Unless he just wanted to take a year off so teams could get re-excited about him. I have no inside sources but my thought now is maybe he becomes an 'assistant head coach' somewhere and just bides his time.

“Hey Steve, you think the Cowboys are gonna hire Belichick to be their defensive coordinator”

”I mean, nothing I’ve heard would indicate that to be a realistic proposal”

”Yeah but we could have him around to replace McCarthy”

”once again”

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

by all accounts (including my own eyes) he was a damn good coach. 

Based on what? He's a defense guy whose defenses are never good. He's had prime Derrick Henry but hasn't translated that into a top offense. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

So we all know owners talk to each other, is Vrabel THAT hard to get along with/manage and that spread around? There didn't seem to be much interest in him at all even though by all accounts (including my own eyes) he was a damn good coach. Unless he just wanted to take a year off so teams could get re-excited about him. I have no inside sources but my thought now is maybe he becomes an 'assistant head coach' somewhere and just bides his time.

I don't think many GMs want a combative coach who doesn't have a championship pedigree

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tabe said:

Based on what? He's a defense guy whose defenses are never good. He's had prime Derrick Henry but hasn't translated that into a top offense. 

I think, in general, fans/teams turn on head coaches too easily and blame them for too much of what happens. Not every coach can win a SB, most don't, it doesn't make them "bad". Not every coach can have a Top 5 Defense, it doesn't make the other 27 coaches bad. He was just Coach of the Year two years ago. While there are exceptions of course (like Josh McDaniels, notably), I think most of the time a team is bad equally by some other factor (players, injuries, bad luck) and not directly the head coach. The Titans were 54-45 with him as coach, the players seemed to fight for him (we saw that in the last week of last season), and he reached the playoffs three times which is more than a lot of coaches can say.

I don't even LIKE him, as a Bills fan I don't like anyone from New England or the Titans. But fans just look for any reason to jettison the coach, you can't convince me he is worse than Canales or Quinn. So, that's why I figure its more his personality holding him back but I assume he'll get another chance next year, they always do if they have some results.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think, in general, fans/teams turn on head coaches too easily and blame them for too much of what happens. Not every coach can win a SB, most don't, it doesn't make them "bad". Not every coach can have a Top 5 Defense, it doesn't make the other 27 coaches bad. He was just Coach of the Year two years ago. While there are exceptions of course (like Josh McDaniels, notably), I think most of the time a team is bad equally by some other factor (players, injuries, bad luck) and not directly the head coach. The Titans were 54-45 with him as coach, the players seemed to fight for him (we saw that in the last week of last season), and he reached the playoffs three times which is more than a lot of coaches can say.

I don't even LIKE him, as a Bills fan I don't like anyone from New England or the Titans. But fans just look for any reason to jettison the coach, you can't convince me he is worse than Canales or Quinn. So, that's why I figure its more his personality holding him back but I assume he'll get another chance next year, they always do if they have some results.

His defenses finished higher than 12th once and 20th or lower four times. 

The Raiders hired Kliff Kingsbury to be OC and Marvin Lewis to be Assistant HC

Titans are hiring Nick Holz to be OC (was in Jacksonville as passing game coordinator)

Rams promoted Chris Shula to be DC

Pats hired Alex Van Pelt to be OC

And stop me if you heard this before about a different "hot" offensive coordinator trying to get a HC job

Mike Garafolo of NFL Network said (at least on a radio interview in Seattle) that Ben Johnson interviewed terribly and wasn't going to get either Seattle or Washington job and hence why he announced he was staying in Detroit