DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

This won't really be necessary until tomorrow as I don't anticipate anyone getting fired after tonight's games but weirder things have happened

I am amused that someone (*cough* Ron Rivera *cough*) leaked to Adam Schefter that it would be disrespectful to fire Rivera tomorrow because it is his birthday.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I am amused that someone (*cough* Ron Rivera *cough*) leaked to Adam Schefter that it would be disrespectful to fire Rivera tomorrow because it is his birthday.

Snyder would’ve taken this as a challenge 

• Like 3

Derrick Henry all but confirmed his time in Tennessee is over as he posted a thank you to the fans on social media

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I am just gonna reserve a space in here for Arthur Smith

They waited for midnight to deactivate his cards.  

Schefter reports he's out.

13 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Derrick Henry all but confirmed his time in Tennessee is over as he posted a thank you to the fans on social media

Not even on social media.  He thanked the fans after the game on the mic.   I am sure it has happened recently but the last one I remember was Jerry Rice before leaving the Niners. 

I also thought the Rivera/Schefter birthday thing was very over blown because as much as the Skins had some incredibly awful coaches I don't remember one of them getting fired on game time even when they deserved it.  Now guys like Zorn and Spurrier were definitely fired at 12:01 on Monday

Edited by hammerva

Giants fired their Offensive Line coach

Brian Daboll says the expectation is that they will keep Mike Kafka (OC) and Wink Martindale (DC). Basically - if they want to be back they will be

EDIT - they also fired their Special Teams coach but that has been expected since week 1

Per reports yesterday "multiple" NFL teams are prepping bids for Jim Harbaugh.   

He's already been linked to LA and Washington. 

Btw - now that the season is over all the anonymous Washington players who didn’t like Eric Bienemy are becoming not anonymous 

Reports from around here are the Jets are going to trade Zach Wilson. (lol)  This appears to be the only major change they plan to make this off-season.  (LOL)

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Btw - now that the season is over all the anonymous Washington players who didn’t like Eric Bienemy are becoming not anonymous 

Sam Howell led the NFL in pass attempts this year. Feels like that's maybe not a recipe for success. 

Also, Washington ranked lower in yards and points this year than last. 

Edited by Tabe

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Per reports yesterday "multiple" NFL teams are prepping bids for Jim Harbaugh.   

He's already been linked to LA and Washington. 

I just can't see him ending up anywhere other than LA. Why would he choose anything other than the franchise with a superstar quarterback? 

1 minute ago, Tabe said:

I just can't see him ending up anywhere other than LA. Why would he choose anything other than the franchise with a superstar quarterback? 

Because Mark Davis is going to back an armored semi truck full of money up to his house and say "Take what you want."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Because Mark Davis is going to back an armored semi truck full of money up to his house and say "Take what you want."

He's going to be able to name his number everywhere. You wanna take a bet on him ending up with the Raiders instead of Chargers?

3 minutes ago, Tabe said:

He's going to be able to name his number everywhere. You wanna take a bet on him ending up with the Raiders instead of Chargers?

Honestly, I think the big hurdle for LA, LV, or anyone else, is that Jimmy's gonna want the keys.   

So, the question is do you give full organizational control to him (and/or his puppet GM) or do you find someone who a) won't be as expensive and b) allows you to keep control your team. 

I think that puts the Chargers and Commanders at the top of the list.  But, yes, the Raiders giving him full control and sniping him away from Spanos would be objectively hilarious. 

For what it is worth - many (maybe all) of the Raiders players want Antonio Pierce back

Of course - there is some irony in that no matter - the Raiders have to conduct a full search even if they want to promote Pierce to full time HC

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

Spanos has a history of not paying top dollar and wanting to be deeply involved in every decision. That could complicate things for Harbaugh. But if maybe they'll commit to him in a way they haven't past coaches. I think Herbert is the guy he most wants to coach amongst current or likely openings. Though maybe you could get him elsewhere and make him happy by drafting McCarthy.

Harbaugh is such an odd case for me as he's been flirting with returning to the NFL for years and then at the last minute either the NFL team changes their mind or he does. If I was Michigan I'd just be ready for him to leave, as this yearly flirting with the NFL must be annoying as hell. He's a great coach, don't get me wrong, but at some point this yearly routine has to get old.

If he wants to step right into a good situation, the only real option (right now) is the Chargers. if I was him I wouldn't even be interested in the other jobs, with his background and successes (both in the NFL and college) he shouldn't have to go to the Panthers or Commanders to prove himself. The other question of course if is Vrabel forces the situation at Tennessee, I think the Titans have the potential and could be attractive to an experienced coach but I don't think they are willing to give up personnel powers.

Well Brian Daboll said he wanted Wink Martindale back but then proceeded to fire all the other defensive coaches who were Wink's guys.

So Wink is resigning

Because you know the defense is what the problem was this year 🙄