DVDVR Message Board

2024 in Pro Wrestling Podcasts

4 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

someone named Pogo Pete Stein is on Between the Sheets next week as they cover 1995.

"Whoever the hell he is..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

Listening to this week's BTS. @Pete made a good appearance. Bix is reading from the column that Mitchell wrote about the Gangstas that pissed off Cornette and I can't believe Wade would publish that. 

I have to look into this cause I am in the middle of the Gangstas run (not sure how many months I have left before they leave for ECW), but I would say..uh...some stuff probably should have been redone.

There is a promo Cornette cuts for the Bodies returning to SMW for like the 5th time (in actuality, probably the 2nd time after the losers leave town match) to help Cornette out that I bet Dr. Tom would like to have himself CGI'd out of it if he could. I respect the effort to do something different, but Jim isn't the best guy to pull a lot of this off.

I haven't seen a lot of SMW and am considering doing a run through. Some of the Gangstas stuff I have seen is crazy and says a lot about the time that it made air. The things in Bruce Mitchell's column are even more outrageous. He probably hid behind the idea that he was being satirical or something but to me it came off as a guy with some views he didn't want to admit to airing them out. 

I've described before that I enjoyed Bischoff's podcast for being a hard, but semi-unbiased look at wrestling(moreso than i ever enjoyed him in wrestling before), but good god, he's really leaned hard into an anti-AEW schtick that is borderline unbearable.  He sounds like an anti-AEW Facebook troll. Shame.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Between the Sheets February 1994 episode noting that Superbrawl brought in 1000 tickets as part of a "turn in a gun for 4 tickets" promotion

These days, the more alluring promotion in some parts of the country would be "buy a ticket, get a gun"

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 4:56 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

What are the best Interviews (or portions of) specifically concerning 'Pro Wrestling Booking'? Cornette must have one, yeah? Has Heyman ever discussed booking philosophies in length? Or Bill Watts? Or Dusty? 

Cornette's booking videos are...Interesting. His Guest Booker with the Invasion was mind bending. He did one that was okay with the Wrestletalk guys when he went over to England a few years back.

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2024 at 4:40 PM, Cobra Commander said:

considering it a sign of good timing that Beau's rant on promoters being money marks wrapped up just in time for me to pause the podcast to go to a dental checkup

The more things change … 

Looking at an Apple auto-generated transcript of this week’s McAdam podcast (to find out the name of the book they mentioned without trying to find it while listening, the book is “The Six Pack” by Brad Balukjian)

and the transcripts insist that they were talking about “Snooker” (Snuka) and “Oli Anderson”

Shameless bit of self promotion here.  Some friends and I started a wrestling/pop culture podcast about a year, and in our latest episode that dropped today, we have an interview with former NWA World Heavyweight Champion, The Tokyo Monster Kahagas.  He talks about his unusual path of training to becoming a wrestler, who influenced him in the business, how his gimmick evolved, and some stories of working in different indie promotions.  We also plug the Glory Days of Future Past card taking place in Orlando on April 19th and the Glory Days Grapplecon convention in Orlando on April 20th, run by Barry Rose and Nick Masci, both events will feature Kahagas as well.  Thanks in advance if anyone takes the time to check out the show!   https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/theothership/episodes/The-Othership-Episode-47-From-an-Orange-Grove-to-the-Ten-Pounds-of-Gold--The-Story-of-Kahagas--The-Tokyo-Monster-e2gsvdv

• Like 1