DVDVR Message Board

2024 MOVIES DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I agree, @HarryArchieGus . I’ve seen all the best picture noms except Barbie (will see at some point), American Fiction (hopefully this week), Maestro (not too excited to see it, but open to it) and Zone of Interest (I want to see it, but need to find the right mood). I enjoyed all of the ones I saw. They weren’t all perfect, but they were at least all interesting. That’s a good thing, imo. This feels like some of the least “safe” nominees in a long time. I mean, Poor Things took home a few trophies and it’s batshit insane. Even Oppenheimer and KOTFM do some interesting things with factual stories. Between these and Dune 2, I’m more excited for movies than I have been in a while. 

Edited by Log
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

What a great year for film! This was easily my favorite collection of 'Best Film Nominees' that I can remember. I'm always happy to see films and filmmakers I like get a commercial boost from the Academy. Particularly happy to see Zone of Interest take some hardware. I've long loved Glazer and was glad to see him get a nod for arguably his best yet, but especially happy for 'Best Sound'. I suspect the picture will play well on the small screen, but seeing this movie in the cinema was so captivating. Too unnerving for most I'd have to assume. What a year for Sandra Huller! Also glad to see Justine Triet win for the Anatomy of a Fall screenplay. There were a lot of films that challenged the times and momentum-building-relentless-misinformation, and AOAF was amongst the best. Teachers Lounge, which didn't win, also felt like a great awareness raiser. Lanthimos' Poor Things too! Between that and the Curse - what a great year for the talented Emma Stone. Nice to see Da'Vine Joy Randolph's wonderful supporting role in the excellent Holdovers take the win. Also, pleased to see first time director Cord Jefferson take home some hardware. I loved American Fiction. Oppenheimer and Nolan were certainly well deserving. I loved KOTFM and Barbie too. Past Lives was very thoughtful and really good. High(est) voter on the Maestro too. I'd argue more ppl would've been on board with it had they had the opportunity to see it in the cinema. Great sound picture. I was a little disappointed that maybe my favorite movie of all Kaurismaki's Fallen Leaves didn't get any of the Academy rub, but that's somewhat to be expected. Strange hearing Wes Anderson win for that strange and really interesting (I need to see it again) short take a win while not getting any attention for the excellent Asteroid CIty, but the field was strong nonetheless. Again, what a year!

I agree - I managed to see all but two of the Best Picture nominations (Maestro & KOTFM) and I'm very close to wanting to have them all on Blu Ray. The second The Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall especially show up on Amazon, I'm getting them.

Sandra Huller should have been somehow nominated twice for Best Actress. Either of her roles this year were incredible.

Spoiler

It chills me to the bone to think about her scene wearing a coat from "Canada," which is the name of stolen goods from people in Auschwitz and wanting work done on the coat

The crazy thing is I saw almost all of them this past week. Honestly that and seeing Dune Part Two has renewed my interest in film (even though I didn't like Dune Part Two that much).

I'll have to check out Fallen Leaves.

I manage to watch everything Wes Anderson puts out and I wasn't in love with Asteroid City. The acting was incredibly flat and emotionless for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

I agree - I managed to see all but two of the Best Picture nominations (Maestro & KOTFM) and I'm very close to wanting to have them all on Blu Ray. The second The Zone of Interest and Anatomy of a Fall especially show up on Amazon, I'm getting them.

Sandra Huller should have been somehow nominated twice for Best Actress. Either of her roles this year were incredible.

The crazy thing is I saw almost all of them this past week. Honestly that and seeing Dune Part Two has renewed my interest in film (even though I didn't like Dune Part Two that much).

I'll have to check out Fallen Leaves.

I manage to watch everything Wes Anderson puts out and I wasn't in love with Asteroid City. The acting was incredibly flat and emotionless for me.

Couldn't agree more on the Huller comment. I suspect you'll go back to Asteroid City and that tone might just work. This was my favorite Tom Hanks role in 35 years. Tho, I've avoided a great many of his titles since Big. 

Fallen Leaves is a very subtle movie and won't be for everyone. I found it very meditative and incredibly (and deservedly) heartwarming. If you haven't seen any Kaurismaki films the pace could be a bit jarring, but if so try and stick with it. I think it'll work out in the end. He, Kaurismaki, is kinda the Finnish Jarmusch. Tho, his movies generally have a bit more emotional density. Jarmusch's Patterson with Adam Driver felt akin to his Finnish friend's films.

2 hours ago, Log said:

I agree, @HarryArchieGus . I’ve seen all the best picture noms except Barbie (will see at some point), American Fiction (hopefully this week), Maestro (not too excited to see it, but open to it) and Zone of Interest (I want to see it, but need to find the right mood). I enjoyed all of the ones I saw. They weren’t all perfect, but they were at least all interesting. That’s a good thing, imo. This feels like some of the least “safe” nominees in a long time. I mean, Poor Things took home a few trophies and it’s batshit insane. Even Oppenheimer and KOTFM do some interesting things with factual stories. Between these and Dune 2, I’m more excited for movies than I have been in a while. 

I totally get the apprehension to see Maestro, and I don't know anybody that loved the movie as much as me. I thought Bradley Cooper was so fun in the Bernstein role. I also thought the movie had a great pace. Carey Mulligan was the stand out for a lot of ppl, and I totally get that too. 

Yeah, you've got the right idea with Zone of Interest. I urge anybody reading this to go see that movie in the cinema if you're able. 

Honorable mentions for best of the year to three films not recognized by the Academy - Andrew Haigh's beautiful film All of Us Strangers, Christian Petzold's captivating Afire, and Todd Haynes' excellent May December. I suspect the subject matter of the Haynes film was a bit too challenging for the Academy. I don't know how Haigh's film slipped passed, but again such a strong field of choices.

I'd still like to catch Oscar winner the Boy and the Heron. 

• Like 1

Watched Poor Things tonight, it was super horny and weird. More movies should be like that. Out of the Best Picture nominees I've seen (Killers, Maestro, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Holdovers, half of Anatomy) it's been my favourite.

• Like 2

Some more films from yesterday and this morning:

Savages - Movie from Oliver Stone with Blake Lively and Benicio Del Toro. Basically a drug trade movie. The movie practically peaks in the first 10 minutes. "I get orgasms and he gets wargasms" (an actual line). Blake Lively can't act.

Pepe Le Moko - 1930s French crime movie. The movie pretty much predicted the amoral thief in later years. Jean Gabin is George Clooney before George Clooney existed. Superior to Savages in every way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, elizium said:

Watched Poor Things tonight, it was super horny and weird. More movies should be like that. Out of the Best Picture nominees I've seen (Killers, Maestro, Barbie, Oppenheimer, Holdovers, half of Anatomy) it's been my favourite.

I agree with much of this. I did guess part of the ending wrong. Still think Godzilla was best movie last year.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

I agree with much of this. I did guess part of the ending wrong. Still think Godzilla was best movie last year.

I did like that they didn't choose the obvious route. Ending spoilers ahoy:

Spoiler

I don't think that Bella would want Godwin's brain anywhere near the body of her ex-husband. I think she would feel that would be tainting him. While she wants to take after him, I think she's learned the value in a dignified death surrounded by your loved one.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 12:12 AM, elizium said:

I hope you see the other half of Anatomy. I loved poor things similarly, and in year of really excellent conscious films, poor things had some of the best messaging of all. 

More movies.

Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Netflix, leaving on April 1) - Early Scorsese movie that's a bit like Peter Broganovich films in some ways. You can tell it's a Scorsese movie - the scene in the car with "Daniel" playing, the scene going into the house with Mott the Hoople playing. The kid in the movie was annoying (which is the point). I don't see how Kris Kristofferson didn't end up as the leading man of the '70s. He and Ellen Burstyn are just incredible to watch. Harvey Keitel of course is scary as hell to watch.

Perfect Days - Went to a local arthouse theater to catch this.

Completely meditative as a movie but never boring. The first 30 minutes will depend on a person's interests: they'll either get caught up in the day to day minutae depicted or pulling their hair out waiting for 'something' to happen.

I found myself enjoying it and enjoying the rhythm of life in the movie - it taught me to pay attention to routines. Most films that depict 'day to day life' try to make it something bigger than it actually is. The movie just shows the quiet dignity of working a job and living a life. In most movies, guys like Hirayama's co-worker would get the girl and the focus would be on that. Instead, well....it doesn't work out.

How Koji Yakusho didn't get a Best Actor nomination at the Oscars, I don't know. I guess the Academy didn't want to nominate someone just living their life, scrubbing toilets, listening to Lou Reed and Patti Smith, going to the same restaurant for contention for an Oscar.

EDIT: Finished this this afternoon on Max...

The Cranes Are Flying - So far ahead of it's time it's scary. If you told me this movie came out this year, I would believe you. The fact that it came out in 1957 and seemingly predicted a lot of technique that show up in later films (hand held camera shots, close up on an actor/actress' face during emotional scenes, the ending scene has been used in tons of later films) is unbelievable.

If there had been justice in the world, Tatiana Samoilova would have gone to Hollywood and been as famous as Audrey Hepburn or Natalie Wood. The whole film is her.

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

Love Lies Bleeding - Decent movie although somewhat superficial. Essentially a film noir lesbian movie.

Spoiler

Some genuinely gross scenes throughout the movie. The first scene in the bathroom where Lou (Kristen Stewart) had to clean out the toilet of a ton of poop about made me want to vomit.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2024 at 5:27 AM, JLSigman said:

It makes much more sense in the book. With the time skip removed, they've taken out a few important plot points that explain why Paul was the way he was.

Reveal hidden contents

So in the book, there's a couple of years between Paul going into the desert with the Fremen and then coming back out to fight the Harkonnens. He might have never come back out if they hadn't sent their killers to the seitch where he was living and kill his infant son.

They also made Jessica his father's wife, which she never was in the books. She was always just his concubine, because there was always a thought that Duke Leto would marry someone for political reasons. So that's what Paul does at the end. He loves Chani, but has to marry the Emperor's daughter to secure his throne.

Spoiler

Jessica was still Leto's concubine. He specifically says that he should've married her.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 10:44 PM, Andrew POE! said:

The Cranes Are Flying - So far ahead of it's time it's scary. If you told me this movie came out this year, I would believe you. The fact that it came out in 1957 and seemingly predicted a lot of technique that show up in later films (hand held camera shots, close up on an actor/actress' face during emotional scenes, the ending scene has been used in tons of later films) is unbelievable.

If there had been justice in the world, Tatiana Samoilova would have gone to Hollywood and been as famous as Audrey Hepburn or Natalie Wood. The whole film is her.

Kalatozov! Your post reminds me that there's more than Cranes, I am Cuba and Letters Never Sent. Have you seen either of those other two? I am Cuba has a camera sequence that is mindboggling by any standard of any day. 

Very curious about Perfect Days. 

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Kalatozov! Your post reminds me that there's more than Cranes, I am Cuba and Letters Never Sent. Have you seen either of those other two? I am Cuba has a camera sequence that is mindboggling by any standard of any day. 

Very curious about Perfect Days. 

No, but I think they are on streaming or I have a way of seeing them. Not sure when I'll watch them but I know I want to do so soon.

Kalatozov so far from what I've seen is what Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola got a lot of their ideas from. There's one sequence in The Cranes Are Flying where the camera is following Tatiana through a crowd that got emulated in tons of later movies and is before Steadicam was invented.

• Like 1

Coppola, Scorsese and many more. I'm pretty sure I've heard Scorsese discuss said sequence. All 3 of the Kalatozov films named are currently on the Criterion Channel.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

On 3/11/2024 at 4:26 PM, clintthecrippler said:

Someone else here has watched TIPTOES! What a compelling piece of absolute insanity and career self-immolation. So many bad choices made with so many different aspects of that movie and I can't imagine that Bright's extended cut would have done that much more to make it less insane.

My college buddies Fridge and H-Bomb were huge fans of Tiptoes but for some reason I've missed it through the years. Sounds like I should rectify that.

I watched New York Ninja on Showtime. Obviously not a great movie but I'm not upset I watched it.

• Like 1

More movies watched:

Fast Times At Ridgemont High (Peacock, leaving it at the end of the month) - I've never seen this before so it was a bit of a surprise to me. Great '80s movie and did something a bit different with the story. Basically inspired every other high school age movie that came after it (while it in turn was inspired by American Graffiti). It's crazy watching the mall and seeing malls now be half-empty wasteland with closed businesses and scam operations.

One Life - Just saw this. Above average film that really should be on Hallmark or Lifetime than movie theaters tbh. Inclusion of Anthony Hopkins and Helena Bonham Carter elevates the movie. Decent acting from them and final 30 minutes were amazing.

• Like 1

It basically goes American Grafitti
->Fast Times->Clueless->Mean Girls as the generation-defining high school movies (maybe with some room for a Hughes film in there somewhere) but I think after that youth culture became too atomized for there to be a clear successor. Is there any high school movie from the past decade with that kind of reach? 

• Like 1

Just now, (BP) said:

It basically goes American Grafitti
->Fast Times->Clueless->Mean Girls as the generation-defining high school movies (maybe with some room for a Hughes film in there somewhere) but I think after that youth culture became too atomized for there to be a clear successor. Is there any high school movie from the past decade with that kind of reach? 

I hate even mentioning these but American Pie and Superbad? American Pie hit right when I was the right age. Breakfast Club was my preference though. That and maybe Rushmore.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I hate even mentioning these but American Pie and Superbad? American Pie hit right when I was the right age. Breakfast Club was my preference though. That and maybe Rushmore.

I haven't seen Superbad but American Pie almost blatantly copies at times from Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The only difference is it's much grosser and Stifler is a much grosser, less cooler version of Mike Damone.

Where does Dazed and Confused fit into the high school movie canon?

From the last decade, Lady Bird springs to mind as a great one, but it’s more of a coming of age movie which is a completely different thing. 

Sight unseen (never watched a second), is Euphoria kind of holding this crown for the current generation? I have no clue. 

• Like 1