DVDVR Message Board

JANUARY 2024 Wrestling Talk

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No bullshit, during an episode of Mid South in 1982 during like a Princess Victoria/Wendi Richter match, guest commentator BOB ROOP was talking about women's equality and how women should be treated as real athletes. IN 19 FUCKING 82.

BOB ROOP: PIONEER AND ALLY

and this was before Bob Roop went into a stable with 3 different women wrestlers (the Kevin Sullivan stable which had Luna, Winona Littleheart, and Nancy)

on my way to that part of his Wikipedia, I found the "Bob Roop majored in political science" part of his bio which I'd imagine is also atypical for a 1970s/80s pro wrestler.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I don't know if I've typed this on here before but John Tenta really is a guy that if Mid-South had lasted just a little bit longer, Tenta probably gets to spend some time working there based off of his LSU experience

I could imagine John Tenta vs Dr. Death being a match that Bill Watts would want to run but those two were never in the same place for any real length of time.

Tenta did wrestle Dr. Death once.

In a 2002 Tag League match of Mike Rotundo and Dr. Death vs Tenryu and John Tenta. A match which went 6 minutes and is probably more of a novelty since all 4 of those guys were old by the time that November 29th, 2002 rolled around.

The Cowboy mentioned Tenta by name on an episode of MSWA TV when Tenta was at lsu.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

No bullshit, during an episode of Mid South in 1982 during like a Princess Victoria/Wendi Richter match, guest commentator BOB ROOP was talking about women's equality and how women should be treated as real athletes. IN 19 FUCKING 82.

BOB ROOP: PIONEER AND ALLY

WOKE BOB ROOP is a surprise.  A welcome surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 2

Of course, wasn't Roop a heel at that point? "Women are to be taken seriously" is something only a heel would say at that time and place. Meanwhile, I'm sure the ever genial babyface announcer Boyd Pierce responded with The ladies can be good in the ring, just like they're good in the kitchen, we'll be back after this message from Mid-South Television Network.

Edited by SirSmUgly
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

Of course, wasn't Roop a heel at that point? "Women are to be taken seriously" is something only a heel would say at that time and place. Meanwhile, I'm sure the ever genial babyface announcer Boyd Pierce responded with The ladies can be good in the ring, just like they're good in the kitchen, we'll be back after this message from Mid-South Television Network.

Up there with Heel Don Moravia defending Adorable Adrian by saying “This America and we go as we want”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Up there with Heel Don Moravia defending Adorable Adrian by saying “This America and we go as we want”

I love what auto-correct did to this post 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SirSmUgly said:

And this was EXACTLY why I was taken aback. He was doing commentary with Boyd so he had to be both the heel and face commentator cause Boyd is use to not talking when Cowboy is there. It was absolutely surreal.

There was another 80s heel who was pro Women’s Lib. Part of me wants to say it was Jimmy Garvin in Dallas.

People forget pioneering civil rights advocate Sputnik Monroe was a heel when he wanted to desegregate the Ellis Auditorium. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, zendragon said:

*turns on World's most stereotypical Hawaiian accent*

this America, braddah, and we go as we want

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

*turns on World's most stereotypical Hawaiian accent*

this America, braddah, and we go as we want

Unless Crush said this, it's only the second most stereotypical Hawaiian accent in the world.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

it's more subtle heat than if he would have said "my favorite part of going to college in the 60s was not being drafted to fight in Nam"

He could very well have said that, considering his feud with Steve Keirn in Florida. Keirn's dad was a two-time POW who got major local press over being the first off the plane when the Cong emptied the Hanoi Hilton. Because Eddie Graham was busy trying to buy into Australia overseas and therefore not there to nix the angle, they got the go-ahead to let Roop say Keirn's dad was a coward for getting caught. Keirn hit the ring immediately and that started a white-hot feud. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

There was another 80s heel who was pro Women’s Lib. Part of me wants to say it was Jimmy Garvin in Dallas.

People forget pioneering civil rights advocate Sputnik Monroe was a heel when he wanted to desegregate the Ellis Auditorium. 

13 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

That’s also the Bob Roop who was front and center with torturing marks in the Snake Pit and tried to lead a takeover of two different territories in the 70s.

With Sputnik, he worked all of that into his act. Even though Memphis is a city, I can tell you from living in that part of the South, you have a slew of railroad towns where the black and white side of towns (the poor and affluent/upper middle class sections respectively) are separated by railroads going back to the Civil War. It was extremely hard to ignore especially when literally everything else is segregated. 

With Roop, keep in mind this is post Billie Jean King Battle of the Sexes and also more importantly right after Kaufman's intergender stuff in Memphis. If Boyd Pierce isn't going to say diddly squat other than pitching it to break, what else is Roop going to do? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

you have a slew of railroad towns where the black and white side of towns (the poor and affluent/upper middle class sections respectively) are separated by railroads going back to the Civil War

Hence the expression, "from the wrong side of the tracks"

• Like 3

Has this ever been posted? I had no idea! And this is edited. Is the full match anywhere? This was Barbarian’s best work since like 1988 lol! And it was Tracey’s best since whatever last match he had because all his matches were good. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Has this ever been posted? I had no idea! And this is edited. Is the full match anywhere? This was Barbarian’s best work since like 1988 lol! And it was Tracey’s best since whatever last match he had because all his matches were good. 

Barbarian was great in a bunch of Faces of Fear matches in early in the Nitro era (96-97) back before the WCW tag division went to hell. I believe the Steiners and Barb had a weekly contest of who could throw people the farthest. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

The last pretty good Faces of Fear match I remember was vs The Outsiders when they were cheered as faces on whatever ppv that was. He was good, just not to excited about having 5 star TV matches by then. 

A 5 star TV match in the 90s is a bit of an oxymoron. That and that tag division before the decline with Faces of Fear, the Steiners, Harlem Heat and occasionally the Nasty Boys and Benoit/Mongo had a robin round of fun matches on TV/PPV for a handful of months. I mean the Public Enemy stuck out like a sore thumb, but I guess they can say they were there too. However, Barb was usually great as the power man on a team that included Meng. He's not suppose to be Mr. Catch as Catch can anyway.

He also had a superb squash against Super Calo on WCW Saturday Night. You cannot have a more random CPU generated match than that.

• Like 2

The early 80s mid South women's matches are pretty surreal - months of nothing, several weeks of trailing that the Popular Girl Wrestlers will be appearing, Wendi Richter/Princess Victoria/Velvet McIntyre turn up and have a completely serious athletic contest, in the middle the wrestlers fall on top of the ref and they do a chauvinist comedy spot where they roll around and the ref gets embarrassed/horny, then the finish is something completely standard for the promotion. Like Watts' stern wrestling values and hatred of gaga led to him presenting women's wrestling more seriously than most other promotions did for decades

I thought Roop was absolutely dishwater when I started watching Mid South, but there was a great guest commentary week in 82 where he was lobbying for Ted Dibiase to get fined for interfering in a match, and Boyd Pierce hulks up and cuts an angry (for Boyd) promo on him telling him he's there to commentate not advance his own agenda; Roop spends the whole thing doing this magnificent shocked/embarrassed/bug-eyed look and then spends the rest of the show doing the most exaggerated best-behaviour "these sure are two fine athletes" babyface commentary possible. So they did sort of have an onscreen reason for him to commentate so neutrally going forward. I guess he was very well cast as a creepy political manipulator who was always complaining about something

Edited by Firebreaker Chip
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I remember looking up Bob Roop thinking he was Bob Sweetan and those are two very different dudes

I would say so in light of certain threads that have been started.

There is still time for Roop to legally change his middle name to "Definitely Not Sweetan".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2