DVDVR Message Board

Upcoming Video Game Releases (2024 & Beyond)

RIPPA

17 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Indiana Jones looked decent. The rest was all not for me.  The Civilization style game looked too "progressive" for someone who grew up playing Civ and Civ 2. 

That's a really bad AI Ford voice, but I'm all in for the game.

Even though in some ways its an odd year, as a lot of games I am looking forward to will be "in the works" for the foreseeable future (Dragon Age, Mass Effect, GTA, whatever Witcher games are eventually coming) there are still quite a few games that I am looking forward to. Avowed is definitely "My Shit", I love the look of Unicorn Overload, and of course Final Fantasy VII Rebirth. This year may not have as many "series" AAA blockbusters as we've seen in the past but still some unique/interesting games in the pipeline.

Despite the additional resources, the project struggled largely due to technical issues surrounding the engine, or the suite of tools and technology that developers use to construct a game, according to people familiar with the process. Odyssey was originally prototyped on the popular Unreal Engine, from Epic Games Inc., but Blizzard executives decided to switch, in part, because it wouldn’t support their ambitions for vast maps supporting up to 100 players at once.

Blizzard instead directed the Odyssey team to use Synapse, an internal engine that the company had originally developed for mobile games and envisioned as something that would be shared across many of its projects. But that led to significant problems as the technology was slow to coalesce, and Odyssey’s artists instead spent time prototyping content in the Unreal Engine that they knew would have to be discarded later, said the people.

When the Microsoft acquisition was finalized, some Blizzard staff were hopeful that they might be able to switch back to Unreal Engine rather than trying to finish the game on Synapse. In an interview at BlizzCon in November, Ybarra said that their new parent company would offer them the freedom to use the technology of their choice without having to go through the board of directors as in the past.

“The tech leaders will decide what the engines are,” he said.

Despite the challenges, Odyssey appeared to be making progress. People who played early versions of the game enjoyed it and thought there was a lot of potential in the market for a survival game that hit Blizzard’s bar for quality. Still, Odyssey was years away from completion. At one point, Blizzard was looking to expand the team to hundreds of people in hopes of targeting a 2026 release, but even that seemed overly optimistic to some developers.

Instead, the project was canceled as the company concluded that Synapse was not ready for production.

• Sad 1

I know the reasonable and mature response to Rippa's quote is to be angry at Blizzard and sorry for the people who lost their jobs. But I can't help being amused by the way the statements in the second paragraph are attributed as "said the people". It sounds like something from the Gettysburg Address.

I'd say the signs for another crash are beginning to surface, but I haven't figured out what that looks like without the massive overabundance of physical media to fuel most of it. 

I don't know about that but it's pretty clear that certain holding companies jumped into the industry expecting an easy source of income to feed to the Already Too Rich Assholes, and clearly as a whole wildly underestimated the production cycle for large scale video game projects.

Judas is extremely my shit and I hope we learn more about it this year. I’m fine if it’s a 2025 game but if it’s longer than that, I wish they’d stop showing these games so early. This was originally shown in 2022 for fucks sake.

I also really hope Physint is more Metal Gear, and less Death Stranding. But it’s Kojima without shackles so I’m sure it’ll be a stealth simulator with extremely gorgeous cutscenes and gameplay.

Metro VR? Sign me up. I need to play through the trilogy first though, which I’ve been meaning to do anyway.

Stellar Blade & Rise of the Ronin are the only other games that look interesting to me. Ronin might require me to actually use their game trial thing if it’s offered. It looks like Nioh/Wo Long and those games are not up my alley. I was hoping combat wise it would be more like Ghost of Tsushima, honestly. Stellar Blade is just Nier Automata and that’s okay with me.

24 minutes ago, Casey said:

Judas is extremely my shit and I hope we learn more about it this year. I’m fine if it’s a 2025 game but if it’s longer than that, I wish they’d stop showing these games so early. This was originally shown in 2022 for fucks sake.

Judas is a Ken Levine game, so…. 2024?  2034?  5 min after the heat-death of the universe?  All are equally likely.  I’m one of the guys that think BioShock Infinite was genius, but development was a disaster and the game might still not be done if 2K hadn’t brought in outsiders to finish the game and get it into a releasable state.  Dude is the protypical creative genius who has no management skills.

Thought the State of Play was very strong, but I’m in a retro mindset now, so the only thing sorta exciting me are the new Kojima games.  And, honestly, I’m more excited for whatever the Xbox project is than a sequel and unbranded Metal Gear.  DS2 will probably be great, but I hope Kojima moves on to a new ip.  He’s 60 years old, so I’m not counting on him directing too many more games.

Edited by Villanova Grad

My PS4 backlog is significant, and so far there hasn't been a whole lot to get me excited enough to buy a PS5.

Pretty much the only thing that has my attention is Death Stranding 2 and the other Kojima...thing? It's stating the obvious, but the comments in State of Play concerning how the project will blur the lines between film and gaming were quite funny. He has been trying to do that since the first Metal Gear Solid. I don't mean that as an insult. My attitude towards Kojima craziness in gaming has always very much been "I will take everything you have in the store."

There's so much coming out in 2024 that it doesn't make sense to me to pre-order any of it.

Although I would be tempted to get Dragon's Dogma II & Rise of the Ronin on the same day and Stellar Blade four days before my birthday. I feel like those I'll get at Christmas time too or next year.

Death Stranding 2: On The Beach will have my money as soon as it's up for pre-order. Of course, that'll depend on if I can beat Death Stranding this year.