DVDVR Message Board

November 2023 Wrestling Talk

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Monsoo sounds more like a name that people think that people in Mongolia would have than Monsoon

Unless Gorilla Monsoon was the translation of his Mongolian name, like how American wrestlers get ornate nicknames in Japan

Manchuria. That's same mistake I made on the pod. 

"My God, brother, this kid, you should've seen him, he could go an hour with Rufus Jones no problem, NO problem - 30 minutes in, he's just getting warmed up, and not just once, I'm talking EVERY night around the horn, brother..."

"Ric, all I asked was how fast he ran the 40"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Sparkleface said:

You don't see things like this anymore. Whether that's a good or bad thing, you decide.

A recent NIH study said that cocaine use was down to about only 1% of American adults; now, I'm not saying there's a correlation there, but I'll just answer with an 'Eh, probably for the better, sadly...'

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

"My God, brother, this kid, you should've seen him, he could go an hour with Rufus Jones no problem, NO problem - 30 minutes in, he's just getting warmed up, and not just once, I'm talking EVERY night around the horn, brother..."

"Ric, all I asked was how fast he ran the 40"

I like this but I was thinking more that Ric just gets absolutely plastered at the game and when they ask for the signs a hungover Flair says “Brother their is only one hand sign you need to know” and proceeds to throw up the four fingers for the Horseman followed by a whooooo.

• Haha 2

On 11/5/2023 at 4:42 AM, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

I watched No Mercy because @The Natural told me to.

Wasn't a huge fan of Dragunov/Hayes, but loved loved loved Stratton/Lynch. That was a star making performance, largely on the weight of how well the match was laid out and how unselfish Becky was. Everything the focus on how the rising star comes in and takes it to a Wrestlemania main eventer instantly. The result doesn't matter. Stratton gets all the shine spots. Becky still looks tough as shit for being able to survive it all and win. It's the sporting equivalent to when Rafa Nadal turned up as a teenager and started messing everyone's shit up on clay. Didn't matter that he was losing to the top guys at his age, and in tough five setters to boot. You knew that he was going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Also sent me down a path where I wondered if I was the only one who no longer cared whether a match was a good match in isolation and judged purely on the in-ring content?

To me, I think that's a dated 90s mentality when you only had a handful of guys on the roster capable of working a good match, and they were rarely paired together. Now not only is the entire roster capable of working a good match, it's got to the point where literally anyone can come in and work a good match, as is the case with celebrities. Anyone with a basic level of athleticism can come in, be plugged into their celebrity match formula, and it takes a lot to fuck it up if you're genuinely interested in trying. Everyone does moves now. I remember when there was a topic on the big green DVDVR board about how many guys in North America who were regularly doing a shooting star press, and they came up with like 4 names (in 1998).

I feel like the only time I am interested in the actual in-ring product is when someone does something that's completely unique and presented in a way that hasn't been done before, rather than the quality of it. McIntyre/Sheamus/Gunther is probably the last time that's happened where WWE were prepared to present this AJPW style match as its own without its wacky spin to it, or to a lesser extent seeing Vikingo for the first time in AEW as it was so reminiscent of when guys like Rey Jr would come to the US and just blow our mind about what would be expected. 

I am far more interested in having my however many hours of wrestling on TV each week compete with other entertainment forms, and make me want to tune in for more and be a compelling drama/entertainment product that tells a story, rather than movez, selling, blood and guts, workrate, that I can no longer care for as they are such an overproduced commodity?

This is pretty much me when watching the weekly shows, especially if I'm woefully behind trying to catch up.  For WWE I catch up on the promos and how the matches end but unless it's something that truly excites me I tend to skip them.  Not because I don't like it but because it's just so damn much and the standard has seemed to have gone up over the years.  And that was before AEW which means tons more to watch.  And while I try to not skip matches if there's a lot going on the ones on Rampage and sometimes Collision tend to be skipped over.  I feel like my time's a bit too divided between wrestling, games, non-wrestling media and also trying to be present in the moments with those around me.  So while it's odd to say it's too much of a good thing I feel like it is and that's where recommendations help me go back to good shit I skipped over.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, Cobra Commander said:

Just went to Google and here’s some basic Sydne Watts info:

I had to slow down and carefully read that name four times to figure out if it's pronounced like "Cindy" or "Sydney."  She won't even need to change it, since it fits perfectly with WWE's "we pick names from prep school yearbooks" naming conventions.

On 11/4/2023 at 7:33 PM, Norwegian Rudo said:

According to Alexa Bliss dropkicks aren't very popular for women because they apparently have a tendency to make them pee themselves...

R Kelly has entered the chat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I had to slow down and carefully read that name four times to figure out if it's pronounced like "Cindy" or "Sydney."  She won't even need to change it, since it fits perfectly with WWE's "we pick names from prep school yearbooks" naming conventions.

Sydne Stampede would fit a few WWE naming habits

1) alliteration

2) not using your actual name so it can be trademarked

3) it's also sorta Bron Breakker-ish

4) it could be a reference to the Oklahoma Stampede

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

NXT apparently will get a new home on the CW

EXCLUSIVE: WWE NXT'S NEW BROADCAST HOME WILL BE.... | PWInsider.com

Whoa, interesting. Maybe reading too much into it, but I find it interesting they're putting NXT on broadcast as opposed to either main show (or a new Main Event/Superstars-type franchise). I gotta assume based on this that NBCU must be offering some big money for Smackdown (or at least the most they feel they can get, given that Fox pretty much publically blasted their viewers for not buying shit or watching anything else)

Edit: Am I going insane or did I recently see here that CW was going to be syndicating a Billy Corgan-NWA show on their affiliates?

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Whoa, interesting. Maybe reading too much into it, but I find it interesting they're putting NXT on broadcast as opposed to either main show (or a new Main Event/Superstars-type franchise). I gotta assume based on this that NBCU must be offering some big money for Smackdown (or at least the most they feel they can get, given that Fox pretty much publically blasted their viewers for not buying shit or watching anything else)

Edit: Am I going insane or did I recently see here that CW was going to be syndicating a Billy Corgan-NWA show on their affiliates?

They were but apparently CW is getting cold feet on the deal because James Mitchell did cocaine on the last NWA PPV.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Rumor is the NWA deal fell through because of a cocaine angle they did on their latest PPV. CW's new owners are apparently religious whackjobs.

CW is interesting because basically nobody watches it, but it's available in WAY more homes than USA is.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

There were rumors of heat on account of a coke snorting spot (???) involving James Mitchell. The wrestling inc article I saw said Hausman had their programming probably ending up on CW’s app.

edit: I’m so slow

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Rumor is the NWA deal fell through because of a cocaine angle they did on their latest PPV. CW's new owners are apparently religious whackjobs.

CW is interesting because basically nobody watches it, but it's available in WAY more homes than USA is.

Real quick, and apologies to all for the multiple posts - couldn't figure out how to edit the quote box into one of the others -

I know that Nexstar recently acquired most of the CW, but WBD still owns a 12.5% share in it - now, obviously I have no idea of the inner workings of any of this, or any contractual issues/exclusivity clauses etc., so this could be entirely predicated on nonsense - but if I were AEW/TK, candidly, I'd be having Megha working overtime looking into any potential conflict or breaches there

This actually isn't the first time the WWE had a show on the CW. Remember that Saturday Morning Slam existed for a few minutes.

On one hand, I think that NXT would quickly end up in the same realm as Main Event (formerly on Ion) or 2000s Superstars (formerly on WGN America)

But on the other hand, getting the NXT shows off of widely watched cable would do wonders for being able to keep NXT guys fresh once they get onto shows that people watch. We might see the Triple H version of promoting NXT guys that we never saw in the 2010s because Vince would kneecap all the new guys.

• Like 1