DVDVR Message Board

CHICA(EW)GO TV - 8/30 - 9/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Enjoyed the women's trios match. Toni Storm is totally playing the part of Gretchen Wieners and I'm here for it. Also enjoy the blink and you miss it tension between Shida and Britt that's been teased on the last couple of shows. Doubt it leads anywhere but I like that we're getting at least a little complexity. 

5 minutes ago, Jamal said:

Enjoyed the women's trios match. Toni Storm is totally playing the part of Gretchen Wieners and I'm here for it. Also enjoy the blink and you miss it tension between Shida and Britt that's been teased on the last couple of shows. Doubt it leads anywhere but I like that we're getting at least a little complexity. 

I would imagine it leads to a Britt heel turn since that’s where she and Hayter were before the crowd turned Hayter face (and by extension Britt). Which also happened at the same time as Saraya’s return match, and Hayter winning the title from Toni, which ultimately lead to Saraya and Toni turning heel out of necessity.

Heel Britt doing heel things for a few months or whatever, and then Hayter makes the triumphant return from injury as a babyface and mops the floor with Britt.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Watching Collision last night, I was reminded of something that really bugged me from the much hyped FTR/BCG 2/3 falls match that they did again here.

In the first match, you build one of the falls around Juice tapping to the sharpshooter (and fair enough given it was in Calgary), and he and Jay both sell it like death as this super painful hold, but when Dax gets put in it, the selling of the hold is focused around how whether or not he's going to make it to the ropes or not, rather than whether the pain is so bad he needs to give up. 

Aside from the inconsistency of it in the one match making BCG look weaker for it, it summed up an issue I have with FTR as faces in that they struggle to sell convincingly from beneath as faces. They simply don't allow themselves to ever be in trouble, only ever outsmarted, or overpowered by much bigger guys and it doesn't feel right for guys their size. I think it plays into why Dax's match with Jarrett sucked a lot more than we expected. Dax can't do sympathy or work from underneath, while Jarrett's best work is picking the bones and working a body part during the heel heat segment. Whether or not Dax can reach the ropes doesn't put any heat on the heel.

• Like 2

Hey, I watched a TV Show.

• The Steamboat bit was very good. The fans (and I) figured it out shortly before the reveal as he kept saying the same thing over again but it all worked. Yes, Starks babyfaced himself a bit with Bill but I think he's allowed to have that level of complexity.
  • Bowens looked like a million bucks (again) in the Trios match. He should be world champion someday. I got kick out of the Garcia/Gunn interactions too and really liked the transition to heel offense where 2.0/Garcia hit all their big stuff (two for the show, double DDT, sharpshooter) all at once, as it felt like a solid equalizer even with Menard/Parker more comedy guys.
  • My deal with Fletcher is that while I think he needs seasoning and to work in an environment that's not the NJPW tag style, he's a lot of fun to watch take everyone's offense in a Curt Hennig sort of way. I noted this after All In but I thought he made Cole's stuff look better than I've ever seen it and made Wayne's stuff looked pretty good too. He based nicely for Komander here. The pop into the pile drive was gnarly. I liked how Wayne got do the promo after losing as usually that comes after a win and it was salt in the wound. The anticipation for Christian to say terrible things is lovely.
  • I kind of liked the Rodman bit (I know, I know). He was fairly good for an interloper on the mic. Gunn saying he was two old to wrestle twice in a night got a pop. Acclaimed and Jarrett always deliver together.
  • Women's match was fine. Not enough Toni antics but Shida hit hard and the heat on her was solid.
  • Hobbs squash was what it was but I'm looking forward to the match.
  • Main was good. Different take than the immediate post above but not necessarily a contradictory one, just focused on different things. It was interesting they built to both a pile driver and the sharpshooter, but since they were so consequential earlier in the show, I actually kind of dug it. I'm sure that wasn't by design but it was a happy accident. I continue to like White in general as he's almost always on/engaged in a way that feels organic instead of Rollinsh. It's pretty clear at this point that Dax works best against guys who can really go, because he makes use of their motion without overextending himself. That's part of why the Jarrett singles match didn't work, I think. You don't want to rely on him to drive that but he can work with it extremely well.

It was a really good show all things considered, and boy are there things to consider.

• Like 5

The Bucks doing a literal victory lap after the tapings is some next level childish shit.  I am sure they will say it is just doing heel shit but it really shows how immature they are too.  whether Punk had to go or not, losing him will have a serious impact on AEW.  you would think they would know that

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Yes, Starks babyfaced himself a bit with Bill but I think he's allowed to have that level of complexity.

I like complex heels, but Starks seems to be genuinely shaken by his program with Punk being overshadowed and then killed. There’s been a level of self pity to everything since he turned, which I think can work (heels always think they’re in the right) but he’s regressed as a promo since that incredible MJF program. Even acknowledging Bill in the first place felt like him reaching for a life preserver because he was struggling. It didn’t kill the moment because Danielson is Teflon and he’ll always get a reaction on a return, but Starks wasn’t looking to generate heat to build up to it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

He's promoting that ridiculous new child trafficking conspiracy theory movie starring the guy who played Jesus in Mel Gibson's weird antisemitic Jesus movie. 

Fun(?) fact: one of my second or third cousins (of whom I have many) is one of the producers of that movie. He and his wife are failed actors who got born again and he’s now heavy into the Christian movie racket as a director and producer.

22 hours ago, hammerva said:

The Bucks doing a literal victory lap after the tapings is some next level childish shit.  I am sure they will say it is just doing heel shit but it really shows how immature they are too.  whether Punk had to go or not, losing him will have a serious impact on AEW.  you would think they would know that

The Bucks definitely take advantage of the fact that Punk is a bigger, more alienating asshole to do a lot of petty shit without getting too much flack. The second match of the best of 7 they ran right after Brawl Out was funny, I'll give them that, but maybe learn something from Hangman and just walk away.

But if the Bucks getting 80% boos in Chicago is the only "bizarro" crowd response AEW got this weekend, TK 100% made the right call to send Punk on his way. This was by far AEW's biggest risk of a hijacked show, and I think it's a testament to the company and AEW fans in general that it didn't go that way. They may not have as large a fanbase as WWE, but the dedicated base is a lot less cynical and seems to generally realize that AEW will usually try to put out the best, most fan-friendly shows they can despite any bumps in the road. Danielson putting himself at risk to further that goal deserves a lot of credit too. Having an owner that's a true fan has got them into this mess, but it also hastened the recovery I think.

• Like 1