DVDVR Message Board

SUMMER SECRET SANTO 2023~!

Matt D

Here's the deal. Starting NEXT SATURDAY, if there's interest (at least 6 people, myself included, is pretty much what's necessary), we're running this thing. Research or ask your partner, give them a match, review the match they give you, one week to do it. Keep the matches under 30 mins if possible. Make an effort. Learn about your fellow board members. Watch good wrestling. Go out of your comfort zone or double down into it. If you're going to be unable to give your partner a match for a week, let me know before hand so I take you off the list for a week. Matches can always be reviewed later. Worst thing is not giving your partner something to watch though! My hope is that we could run through the end of the month into the first couple of weeks of September.

Sign up here by replying below. If you've never done it before, give it a shot. It's a lot of fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd like to take part! It was a blast the last few and I haven't watched much extracurricular wrestling lately mainly due to how twitter has been dying so it hasn't been fun to post any gifs on Gifapalooza over there. Hopefully Bluesky will have gif support soon.

• Like 2

I will do it if people don't mind me assigning random Nitro, Thunder, and WCW PPV matches that I liked, but I think people don't really talk about or remember.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SirSmUgly said:

I will do it if people don't mind me assigning random Nitro, Thunder, and WCW PPV matches that I liked, but I think people don't really talk about or remember.

This would be perfect for me as a WWF-only kid growing up. So much WCW I missed!

• Like 2

I'm in and will hopefully be able to offer something/consistently participate. Even with the stuff I have seen throughout my life. I have a ton of blind spots both recent and not so recent. My relationship to watching stuff is more casual over the last decade.  

• Like 1

If anyone else wants to jump on, now's a good time, though do feel free to jump on later so long as you give a little notice before a Saturday. Anyone that wants to write up their interests/aversions, also a good time. I roll the dice tomorrow. As for me, I'll pretty much take anything. I wear my heart on my sleeve on this stuff. Give me a match that you want to see me write up for good or ill. That's it.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:06 PM, SirSmUgly said:

On 7/30/2023 at 1:08 AM, Octopus said:

This would be perfect for me as a WWF-only kid growing up. So much WCW I missed!

Suits me. WWF was much more readily available in the UK on VHS and TV. My first WCW on VHS was most of the 1990 PPVs and TV, Monday Nitro. WWF on VHS were the WrestleManias and TV, 1993.

As for aversions, graphic deathmatches. I'm okay with matches that have some use of barbed wire/thumbtacks such as Triple H vs. Cactus Jack at WWF Royal Rumble 2000 but nothing like razor blade boards/strimmers please. Ironic as I can watch the Saw films fine.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

They didn't have WCW Worldwide on ITV Yorkshire? It was on Granada and Central for years.

I definitely never watched WCW Worldwide growing up whereas I remember WWF TV. My parents didn't know about WCW Worldwide either, they'd have taped it for me.

In the Granada region, WCW Worldwide was on ITV at 2am on Thursdays. In Central, it was on Saturdays at 4pm. For most of the late 80s and early 90s!

• Thanks 1

Nothing before the 90s for me, please. I’m not terribly into anything pre-90s, whether it’s music or movies or anything. Just doesn’t interest me. Unless it’s late 80s puro/joshi, that’s the only exception. Doesn’t matter the platform, as long as it’s a free service (however - if something is on Peacock because it’s WWE owned, that’s fine too).

Ok, people. We've got 10. 10 is always the best number. Remember, check in on the thread! Give your person a match! If you can't do even that much, let us know in advance! Week 1 pairings below:

@Matt D
@The Natural
----
@Casey
@Octopus
-----
@Curt McGirt
@porksweats
-----
@Zimbra
@John E. Dynamite
-----
@SirSmUgly
@Chaos

Paul, I'll get something for you in a bit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Ok, people. We've got 10. 10 is always the best number. Remember, check in on the thread! Give your person a match! If you can't do even that much, let us know in advance! Week 1 pairings below:

@Matt D
@The Natural
----
@Casey
@Octopus
-----
@Curt McGirt
@porksweats
-----
@Zimbra
@John E. Dynamite
-----
@SirSmUgly
@Chaos

Paul, I'll get something for you in a bit.

Cheers, Matt. I'll do likewise xxx.

44 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Cheers, Matt. I'll do likewise xxx.

Ok, Paul. There's always the question on whether to give people something they haven't seen or something they might really enjoy to see again, and I'm going to give you an option here.

For the thing to see again, we're bummed about there being no Nigel vs Danielson at All In, so here's the match of theirs (6th anniversary) that even I can really get behind for the character-driven work. It's around 30 though.

So here's another option, which is my favorite match from Worldwide ever (even though this says Power Hour so it probably aired on both):

Your call!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1