DVDVR Message Board

SummerSlam XXXVI - 8/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Didn’t see much of the show but from what I did see- Corey Graves having to explain to the audience the vest Rollins was wearing was so corny. 

“He’s the MASTER OF THE MIND GAMES COLE!!!”

The Rollins shtick as a whole is unbearable 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave Meltzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that Reigns got hurt in the match. Meltzer said he didn't know the nature of the issue or the spot where Reigns got hurt, except that it happened early on.

"Roman Reigns got hurt in the match. I haven’t watched the beginning of the match over again, but I heard it was relatively early," Meltzer said.

"I don’t know the nature of the injury. I just heard that he worked the match hurt. He worked the match hurt, he got hurt early in the match.”

Fair play, Roman Reigns.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Brock Lesnar is going back into WWE hibernation.

According to Dave Meltzer on Monday's Wrestling Observer Radio, the former seven-time WWE Champion and three-time Universal Champion will be "gone for a while" from the company.

Meltzer said Lesnar was originally scheduled for one of the upcoming pay-per-views, but that is no longer the case. There's no definitive timeline for his return, but Meltzer speculated Lesnar would not be back for "four months or something like that." He said Lesnar will return, but likely for WrestleMania season.

Royal Rumble probably.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Dave Meltzer reported on Wrestling Observer Radio that Reigns got hurt in the match. Meltzer said he didn't know the nature of the issue or the spot where Reigns got hurt, except that it happened early on.

"Roman Reigns got hurt in the match. I haven’t watched the beginning of the match over again, but I heard it was relatively early," Meltzer said.

"I don’t know the nature of the injury. I just heard that he worked the match hurt. He worked the match hurt, he got hurt early in the match.”

Fair play, Roman Reigns.

Early in the match Reigns powdered and Jey hit a dive that Roman wasn't in position for. It was basically a flying forearm right into the kidney region. You could here Jey yelling "Joe" as he's shooting through the ropes realizing Reigns wasn't in position. He was favoring the low back / kidney region for a bit after that. Not 100% sure that would be the injury but it's probably a good guess.

• Like 1

Finally caught some of the matches. 

Gunther/Drew was alright. I feel bad for McIntyre, his crowning moment defeating the unstoppable Lesnar was at the Covid Mania and he's never really recovered that momentum. Gunther has the momentum now, hope Drew can get back into it

I got into to the Bloodline because of Sami Zayn and I stayed involved to point and say "Eat it!" when Cody lost but once this saga turned inward it started to really suffer. Some great moments along the way ("Et tu, Jey?!") but the promos and story have really been creeping lately and the Jimmy turn feels like one too many. If the next step is a 4-way I suppose that's fine, I think Roman needs a big time challenger to be really engaging

I think @NoFistsJustFlips is right, that early dive that hit Roman in the side was gnarly and I wouldn't be shocked if it slowed the match down even more. If you've ever taken a shot to the guts you weren't ready for, you know that can linger

Side note: If they book the final four of next year's Rumble as Cody, Sami, Jey, and a still undefeated Gunther the crowd might be so loud it will kill fish in nearby bodies of water

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 10:48 AM, Brandon Bones said:

I’m glad to see that the Usos getting not only a solid run.  But a long term run at the top.  I really felt they were underserved in those early years.  Now they’re doing drama based angles in stadiums.  Not bad.  

If they weren't identical twins, they would've had one turn on the other. Jey presumably would be the one of the two that they would run with ti get a strong sustained push. Good on the New Day for intentionally trying to keep a precedent of being a strong longterm team or faction to never break up. That's something that needs to be more of a thing in mainstream American Wrestling, especially WWE. I heard the Street Profits  say they don't want to split either.

• Like 2

Meltzer:

Logan Paul vs. Ricochet: ****.25

Cody Rhodes vs. Brock Lesnar: ****.5

Slim Jim Battle Royal: **.75

Shayna Baszler vs. Ronda Rousey; *.5

GUNTHER (c) vs. Drew McIntyre (Intercontinental Championship): ****

Seth Rollins (c) vs. Finn Balor (World Heavyweight Championship): ****.5

Asuka (c) vs. Bianca Belair vs Charlotte Flair (WWE Womens Championship): ***.5

Roman Reigns (c) vs. Jey Uso (Undisputed WWE Universal Championship): **.75

Brock vs Cody was my match of the night. It was their best match they've had against each other. I always get enjoyment out of seeing Brock work a long match even though he always turns purple 30 seconds in.

The main event went way to long. It wouldn't have been so bad if Roman hadn't almost completely dominated most of the match. I've Jey had more hope spots earlier on instead of until Solo got involved.

• Like 1