DVDVR Message Board

Collision - 6/17/2023

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That is fucking AWFUL lol. Nothing says cuttig edge like using a song that's a literal FIFTY YEARS OLD.

Is the goal “cutting edge?” We hang onto a lot of fifty year old stuff as a culture that we have fondness for, songs included. Use it in marketing and content all the time. Wouldn’t be shocked if King Marty puts Gimme Shelter in Killers of the Flower Moon.

Spoiler

I’m kidding. He won’t do that. Probably. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I love it too. It just feels totally different from anything in wrestling. I'm not sure it helps with the demo mind you.

Who the fuck watched tv on a Saturday night? Old people that’s who there’s your demo right there

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zendragon said:

Would you people prefer the Kid Rock version? I for one welcome are classic rock loving wrestling overlords🤩(see also Kansas and Starship)

Mickey Thomas is 73 and still sounds like a million bucks - AEW should absolutely bring him in for a live entrance

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

That is fucking AWFUL lol. Nothing says cuttig edge like using a song that's a literal FIFTY YEARS OLD.

....so? I am not that old but I can name more 50 year old+ songs I would rather listen to than 5 year old songs. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dog said:

I work with several 20-somethings. If they know who Elton John is, I'd be shocked.

He is the dude who makes the pizza, correct? I believe I ordered one of his Papadias the other day.

• Haha 3

Wait, so the biggest feud in the company is between a guy who comes out to Cult of Personality and a group that comes out to Carry on My Wayward Son, and we're supposed to believe AEW is missing the mark using one of Elton John's biggest hits?

• Haha 10

1 minute ago, Go2Sleep said:

Wait, so the biggest feud in the company is between a guy who comes out to Cult of Personality and a group that comes out to Carry on My Wayward Son, and we're supposed to believe AEW is missing the mark using one of Elton John's biggest hits?

For a dude who was born in 1981, TK's eclectic selection of Classic Rock station hits is amazing. 

However, why hasn't this fucker gotten the rights to AC/DC's If You Want Blood (You've Got It) for Blood & Guts? It's right there. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Dog said:

Will they use "Tuesday's Gone" when the show gets preempted three days? Whose version? How much is TK willing to spend on a weird joke?

Not before Mark Briscoe comes out to Gimme Back My Bullets.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Nothing says cuttig edge like using a song that's a literal FIFTY YEARS OLD.

Do you honestly think they're using that song in an attempt to be "cutting edge"? If so, you're fucking weird, man.

Seems like they've taken a catchy, relevant song with built-in goodwill and feelgood-factor.

Trying to be cutting edge with Elton John. Fuck me dead. What a theory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

That's a canny and couth answer. Another Elton John song comes to mind...

That being saved for Ivelise’s big return…

I hope Moro in action is him coming to the ring and reading a list of 1004 positions him and the hot flexible wife tried during him time away

5 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

For a dude who was born in 1981, TK's eclectic selection of Classic Rock station hits is amazing. 

However, why hasn't this fucker gotten the rights to AC/DC's If You Want Blood (You've Got It) for Blood & Guts? It's right there. 

I’m two years younger than TK and two of the best concerts I’ve ever been to have been within the last year and they’re all older acts too (Toto & Journey, and Elton John). I swear when Toto started playing Africa that’s the loudest I’ve ever heard (in person) a concert crowd get. It’s like everyone had to know it was coming because they had played all their other hits and it was time for Journey to come out, but it was still incredible to hear how loud they got the minute the music hit. 

11 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Oh man, imagine if they'd liscened 'Bennie and the Jets' and went with a nice slow opening. 

PAC's a Ben IRL, maybe bring him back and have it play through all of his matches New Jack style. Might sync up nicely with some of those sarcastic slow motion kick exchanges with Cassidy

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There’s an entire genre of videos on TikTok where GenZ discover and dig old songs.

Hell, Kate Bush ended up charting again because the kids loved Running Up That Hill so much when Stranger Things used it. But that’s only a 40 year old song

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, elizium said:

There’s an entire genre of videos on TikTok where GenZ discover and dig old songs.

Hell, Kate Bush ended up charting again because the kids loved Running Up That Hill so much when Stranger Things used it. But that’s only a 40 year old song

Best Kate Bush song. I'm a fan of Kate Bush. I actually prefer Placebo's cover of Running Up That Hill especially this one:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5kPZT3wgoy4&pp=ygUgcGxhY2VibyBydW5uaW5nIHVwIHRoYXQgaGlsbCBiYmM%3D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hope we get a different set for Collision to the other shows.

That’s my biggest worry. I love them using Elton because it gives such a different vibe than their other shows, but it will be moot if the presentation is just Hulkamania colourway Dynamite 

• Like 1

Speaking of nearly 50 year old songs, I would much rather have the Bay 
City Rollers “Saturday Night” but I get that it’s about having fun with your baby to the rock and roll, not fighting.

• Like 8