DVDVR Message Board

2023 Summer Blockbuster Movie Pool

S.K.o.S.

22 minutes ago, S.K.o.S. said:

What if people stop going to movies for the rest of the year to show support for SAG-AFTRA?

(Would that even make sense? Maybe it'd hurt the theaters more than the studios.)

Don't know if you meant to post this here rather than the Strike thread, but I'll respond here since that's where it ended up.

Seen a lot of people discussing whether it would be helpful to cancel streaming services or participate in boycotts such as this. Some people (including many on strike) say yes, others within the guilds have made the case that it only helps the position of the AMPTP if they can present their business as being too volatile to allow for any concessions. And the guilds haven't called for any such action at this point. So... hard to say. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Don't know if you meant to post this here rather than the Strike thread, but I'll respond here since that's where it ended up.

Yes, I meant to post it here. I was thinking about what would happen if everyone stopped going to movies and Barbie made $0.

Well, Barbie is 90% on RT and Oppenheimer is under a review embargo until tomorrow.. 

My journey to the cellar of the pool rankings begins on Friday.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

What if people stop going to movies for the rest of the year to show support for SAG-AFTRA?

(Would that even make sense? Maybe it'd hurt the theaters more than the studios.)

Basically - and to go with John said - I have seen a lot of folks ask that question and all the answers I have seen from writers and actors has been "Yes - still go see the movies" since they are finished products and if they do well it "shows how important the writers and actors are"

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Well, Barbie is 90% on RT and Oppenheimer is under a review embargo until tomorrow.. 

My journey to the cellar of the pool rankings begins on Friday.

My top four of Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning, Oppenheimer and Barbie on RT is one of the few things I've got right this time. Taken part every year and this is my worst showing, has to be. I'm not worried about Oppenheimer RT score. Feels like top tier Nolan with The Dark Knight, Memento and Batman Begins. Nolan's three best IMHO.

The reviews for Oppenheimer are coming in now, it's at 97% with 63 reviews at the moment.

I have Barbie at #2 on my RT list and left Oppenheimer completely off the list, because Tenet made me cautious.

Seems like I bet on the wrong horse. 😅

23 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since Enter the Dragon is coming out again I'm wondering if when the well starts to run dry they start re-releasing more old favorites.

That's what cinemas did to try and get people in during the pandemic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Since Enter the Dragon is coming out again I'm wondering if when the well starts to run dry they start re-releasing more old favorites.

Everything has an anniversary date. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah, I remember that now, and wish I had a list of what came out. 

...not like it was very conscionable of them to do that, but hey

The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Lord of the Rings and Avengers: Endgame were some where I'm from.

For August, even for a comic book movie, $17 million a month out ain't that bad. You cannot expect super big numbers for a month that's littered with no hopers. Keep in mind, it's probably being catered to a heavily Latino/Hispanic audience so there may be no great barometer. If you're casting George Lopez, who has a strong Mexican-American audience behind him, you're expecting a decent turnout one way or another. If it's a hit with that audience, that range is going to be very low in hindsight.

• Like 1

UPDATE 10 OF 19 - through July 20

Standings
1 [- 1] JRGoldman - 16 points (12/4, tiebreak 4.592)
2 [- 2] Phantom Lord - 22 points (14/8, tiebreak 1.519)
3 [- 3] Hail Sabin - 22 points (16/6, tiebreak n/a)
4 [- 4] The Z - 26 points (16/10, tiebreak 0.04)
5 [ 6] DreamBroken - 28 points (14/14, tiebreak 0.41)
6 [ 5] J.T. - 32 points (22/10, tiebreak 1.217)
7 [ 8] S.K.o.S. - 36 points (22/14, tiebreak 0.965)
8 [ 7] Rippa - 38 points (24/14, tiebreak 1.015)
9 [ 12] John from Cincinnati - 38 points (24/14, tiebreak 1.267)
10 [ 9] Kuetsar - 40 points (26/14, tiebreak 0.523)
11 [ 10] Elsavajeloco - 40 points (18/22, tiebreak 0.762)
12 [ 11] The Natural - 44 points (28/16, tiebreak 1.217)

Box office
1 [- 1] Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse - $328,371,821 (28 days)
2 [- 2] Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - $312,511,454 (28 days)
3 [- 3] The Little Mermaid - $261,567,764 (28 days)
4 [ 6] Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - $152,318,862 (21 days)
5 [ 4] Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - $141,723,312 (28 days)
6 [ 5] Fast X - $140,383,585 (28 days)
7 [- 7] Elemental - $116,589,287 (28 days)
8 [- 8] The Flash - $106,086,978 (28 days)
9 [ 11] Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 - $99,253,469 (9 days)
10 [ 9] Insidious: The Red Door - $64,501,673 (14 days)
11 [ 10] Asteroid City - $25,753,061 (28 days)
12 [- 12] Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken - $15,237,500 (21 days)

Rotten Tomatoes
1 [- 1] Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 - 365/380 = 96% (9 days)
2 [- 2] Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse - 327/341 = 96% (28 days)
3 [- 3] Guardians of the Galaxy 3 - 297/363 = 82% (28 days)
4 [- 4] Elemental - 171/232 = 74% (28 days)
5 [- 5] Asteroid City - 214/291 = 74% (28 days)
6 [- 6] Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - 260/377 = 69% (21 days)
7 [- 7] The Little Mermaid - 210/314 = 67% (28 days)
8 [- 8] Ruby Gillman, Teenage Kraken - 58/88 = 66% (21 days)
9 [- 9] The Flash - 226/352 = 64% (28 days)
10 [- 10] Fast X - 160/286 = 56% (28 days)
11 [- 11] Transformers: Rise of the Beasts - 112/210 = 53% (28 days)
12 [- 12] Insidious: The Red Door - 38/99 = 38% (14 days)

• Like 1

Barbie made $70.5 million on Friday, which is the biggest opening day for any movie this year. For comparison's sake, Guardians 3 had a $48.1m opening day and Across the Spider-Verse had a $51.8m opening day.  Barbie could very well end up as the #1 box office movie in our contest.

The highest anyone here ranked Barbie on their box office list was 5th.  Lowest rank was 10th.  Three of us left it off our box office list altogether.

There is zero reason I would ever want to see a Barbie movie. I would've expected the large majority of straight men would feel the same way. But there seems to be this sentiment online where if you're going to Oppenheimer then OF COURSE you will also see Barbie that same day.

Greta Gerwig solo-features have delivered big so far, which is plenty of reason to want to see Barbie. 

Can't remember where I saw this stat so forgive me if it's wrong, but the Barbie/Oppenheimer combo was supposedly the first time two movies opened to more than five million for Thursday previews on the same day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

There is zero reason I would ever want to see a Barbie movie. I would've expected the large majority of straight men would feel the same way. But there seems to be this sentiment online where if you're going to Oppenheimer then OF COURSE you will also see Barbie that same day.

Hi, woman here.

This is a movie for us. We get very few that actually get promotion behind them. It seems most Hollywood folks think we don't care about actually paying money to see movies.

I may have posted this on here, but I know multiple groups of people that have rented theatres specifically for private showings of this. I know at least a dozen people who went to public showings in costume.

(I might have gone to a private screening - in costume no less - too.)

I'm not going to make predictions but don't be surprised if this movie absolutely rinses all of your predictions. The last time I remember folks in my life getting this amped up for a movie was Titanic.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Barbie made $70.5 million on Friday, which is the biggest opening day for any movie this year. For comparison's sake, Guardians 3 had a $48.1m opening day and Across the Spider-Verse had a $51.8m opening day.  Barbie could very well end up as the #1 box office movie in our contest.

The highest anyone here ranked Barbie on their box office list was 5th.  Lowest rank was 10th.  Three of us left it off our box office list altogether.

I had a feeling it would do well just cause of the groundswell on social media, but it was a question of how well it would do. The reason I only had it sixth on BO list is I felt Oppenheimer might cannibalize some of the business. If Oppenheimer wasn't on the same week, I likely would have had it in the top 3.

• Like 2