DVDVR Message Board

Award Season 2023

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

I'm guessing because it's a continuation of the Benoit blanc story. I think the academy considers existing IP even original to be adapted. 

Any sequel, per the article I read, is considered Adapted. 

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is apparently the first time that all 5 nominees for best actress are first timers since 1935. 

Quick correction: This is said to be the stat for Best Actor. In Actress, Blanchett is going for win number three and Williams has now been nominated five times. 

Mostly by choice, I’ve seen only two films in this Best Picture category and loved them both – ‘Triangle of Sadness’ and ‘Tar’. The word I received on Fablemans echoed my feelings about the trailer. I like seeing the suggestion above that it’s not that - 'cause I’m interested. I’m also interested in the remake of 'All Quiet on the Western Front'. A trusted friend hated 'EEAAO' and 'Women Talking' (Polley's earlier doc about her father was pretty neat, but I hated that Seth Rogan-Michelle Williams film) and I assume I would too. I'll be skipping those and the Elvis biopic and the new Avatar. I might watch 'Top Gun Maverick' some day, but I'm in no rush. Word is it’s good. I’ve decided to judge Martin McDonnaugh based on his last film ‘Three Billboards’, and from that I’ve concluded he’s a shitty filmmaker. Maybe this judgement is unfair and I’m missing out on something special with the Banshees. I’m pulling for Todd Field or Ruben Ostlund for Best Director, but my favorites, well, they so rarely win. But maybe Field could win this? I can’t imagine there was a better performance in the Best Actress category than Cate Blanchett. Tho, Ana de Armas was terrific in the underrated ‘Blonde’. I really liked Darren Aronofsky’s ‘The Whale’. I welcome the idea of a shiny gold trophy for Brendan Fraser’s excellent performance. I liked Paul Mescal in the not great, but very good ‘Aftersun’. Maybe I should have a look at Bill Nighy in ‘Living’? I didn’t see any of the Best Supporting Actor performances, but I love Brian Tyree Henry. I'm also a long time fan of the great Judd Hirsh, and very pleased to see him getting some nice roles in the twilight of his career. I cast my non-vote for The Whale's Hong Chau in the Supporting Actress category. The Glass Onion screenplay is nominated? That one was a complete miss for me from the mostly steady Rian Johnson, but my Mother liked it, so to each their own. I need to see 'All the Beauty and the Bloodshed'. I did see the excellent 'Fire of Love'. None of my favorites got nominated for Best International Feature, but I’m looking forward to seeing 'EO' (tho it looks fucking heartbreaking) and 'Argentina 1985'. Not familiar with the 'Quiet Girl' or 'Close'. 

The "history of Hip Hop" supercut performance at the Grammys last night was pretty cool. They dug Scarface out of mothballs to do a bit of "Mind Playing Tricks On Me" so I approved wholeheartedly. 

EDIT: I also had no clue who anyone else at the damn show was aside from Adele (who looks like she had a gastro tie or is anorexic now), Jay-Z (who has dreads?), and Beyonce

Edited by Curt McGirt

Heh, this one is funny. I was watching the local Morning Show earlier and one of the newscasters said she's seen Beyonce numerous times, starting in fourth grade. When I was in sixth grade Beyonce was still in Destiny's Child. She must be like 20 and I must be OLD. 

On 2/6/2023 at 6:12 AM, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: I also had no clue who anyone else at the damn show was aside from Adele (who looks like she had a gastro tie or is anorexic now)

Neither one. She got on a fitness kick about 5 years ago. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tight Best Actor race between Butler, Fraser and Farrell. Think it'll still be Butler winning the Academy Award for Best Actor. Oscars love a biopic and actors playing a real life person but there's Fraser's comeback. Think Farrell is third favourite.

'The Fabelmans' is indeed a far better film than the trailer indicates. A fun ride with excellent choices (casting in particular) throughout. I suspected 'All Quiet on the Western Front' would be good, but it exceeded my expectations. A compassionate eye on the ludicrous nature of war. Perhaps I need to take a look at Mr. Berger's 'Deutschland 83'.  

• Like 1

Ke Huy Quan became the first Asian male to win a SAG acting award. Michelle Yeoh became the first Asian lead actress winner as well. 

But as always, James Hong fucking killed it when EEAAO won Best Ensemble, and he told everyone how life was 70 years ago. 

He starts about 2:30 in:

• Like 2

I know Jamie Lee Curtis is making no secret about how much she wants it, but she's the second best supporting performance nominated in her category from that movie. When I heard the pop she got during the "I'm an actor" bit at the top of the show, I sensed trouble was coming. 

Main event speech Dolfan posted ruled and is probably better than the speech you'll hear when it wins Best Picture in two weeks.

Hardest possible eye roll at Mark Whalberg, who called Women Talking "Women Are Talking."

First time I watched the SAG awards live, just turned it on and never found a reason to turn it off. All told, the show clocked in at two hours and fourteen minutes -- and that's for both movies and TV. The pitch clock is really working! 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Tight Best Actor race between Butler, Fraser and Farrell. Think it'll still be Butler winning the Academy Award for Best Actor. Oscars love a biopic and actors playing a real life person but there's Fraser's comeback. Think Farrell is third favourite.

Remember when Farrell was cleaning up the critics awards and it seemed like it was his year? Those were fun times. Distant third now. 

Love that James Hong is getting some due. Just watched a first season episode of Bonanza a few weeks ago, where he plays one of Hop Sing's cousins and helps them save Pa Cartwright from being sold into slavery in San Francisco. Same episode also has a Tor Johnson-Hoss Cartwright brawl. I'm getting sidetracked here, but James Hong and Bonanza rule

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Lady Gaga will not be performing "Hold My Hand" at the Oscar ceremony

She will still be attending (since she is a nominee) but, reportedly, Gaga said that because she is currently filming Joker: Folie à Deux she doesn't have time to prepare for a performance

The other 4 songs will still be performed

Predictions.

Best Picture: Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Best Director: Daniel Kwan/Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Best Actor: Austin Butler, Elvis. Going to close between him and Brendan Fraser in The Whale. Rooting for Butler.

Best Actress: Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once. Wouldn't surprise me if it's Cate Blanchett, Tar.

Best Supporting Actor: Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Best Supporting Actress: Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere All at Once.

49 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Top Gun 2 is up for six awards and Reddit The Movie is going to win Best Picture. And if Deakins wasn't the lone nomination of Empire of Light based on his name alone, Top Gun would be up for seven. Crying "snobbery" with a batch of nominees this populist doesn't really pass the smell test. 

The Academy Awards are getting better with comic book movies but it's not the best. The Batman definitely deserved a Best Cinematography nod, that was one of the best things about the film and even those who didn't like the film praised that element. Best Original Score nomination also. I'll always be pissed The Dark Knight wasn't even nominated for Best Picture and Best Director when it should have won both.

Edited by The Natural

31 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Top Gun 2 is up for six awards and Reddit The Movie is going to win Best Picture. And if Deakins wasn't the lone nomination of Empire of Light based on his name alone, Top Gun would be up for seven. Crying "snobbery" with a batch of nominees this populist doesn't really pass the smell test. 

I don't know enough about cinematography to say if The Batman had the best, but this argument doesn't seem right to me. Snobbery doesn't have to be logical, and I've seen a lot of snobbery directed specifically at comic-book films moreso than other populist entertainment. So this Deakins guy might be right.

• Like 1

The Academy's been chasing its tale for over a decade trying to please comic book fans, between expanding Best Picture in response to people whining about Dark Knight being "snubbed" and introducing the hilarious blunder that was the Oscar Cheer Moment last year. At this point I'd love to hear less from people whose favourite entertainment dominates a chunk of pop culture complaining that their shit isn't omnipresent enough. If people have to complain, less about Batman please, more from the "Mia Goth should have been nominated for Best Actress!" weirdo crowd.

• Like 2