DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 8/17/2022

The Natural

3 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Punk has become everything he hated back in WWE.

In his first year he's gone over young/fresh talent in Darby, Kingston, MJF & Page and then had a couple months off without dropping the strap.

He's a part time, special attraction, guy. He doesn't need the belt to have an impact.

Compare that to Danielson and it's absolutely night and day.

Let's be real, the pipebomb wasn't about getting more opportunity for young talent. It was Punk being pissed off that he wasn't the main event.

Bryan Danielson is such a giving, selfless wrestler. My GOAT.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Let’s not forget that Punk also talked shit about Eddie Kingston, who would absolutely stab him in the face with a box cutter on live tv just to prove a point. Eddie didn’t seem to like it much, either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Punk has become everything he hated back in WWE.

In his first year he's gone over young/fresh talent in Darby, Kingston, MJF & Page and then had a couple months off without dropping the strap.

He's a part time, special attraction, guy. He doesn't need the belt to have an impact.

Compare that to Danielson and it's absolutely night and day.

Let's be real, the pipebomb wasn't about getting more opportunity for young talent. It was Punk being pissed off that he wasn't the main event.

Now if Tony were super smart, or reading this.  How cool would it be to have Punk booked as a heel who is everything he ended up hating while he was in WWE?!  He could be the part time guy who won't put over the younger talent.  Who would be the best worker to call him out on this?  MJF is my pick, Darby isn't there on the mic,  Kingston is exactly young, Andrade and Page aren't there on the mic either.   It would have to either be MJF or Adam Cole if anyone

It's a work, imo, in that it's getting the online fans, the ones who follow their faves on social media and engage in online discussions, to talk this up and hype up the intrigue of next week's outcome

So, working the fans with reports of backstage drama a week in advance to possibly hype up a title match even more than it would be hyped on its own two feet

Aka the Charlotte/Becky drama with the belts before the BIG TITLE MATCH where on their media interviews they kept saying they weren't sure if the other would be unprofessional in the ring and if things might end up getting out of hand, but hey be sure to tune in and watch us settle it, in the ring!

*may not have been Becky and Charlotte exactly but it was two of the women,albeit before summerslam last year? Fuck my memory, I barely watch anymore since the backstage stuff is usually more intriguing, so I could be off on the timeline and which two women it involved 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

I’m personally cool if Punk decided to go home. Never been a big Punk guy. Along with MJF’s shitty Bubba Ray Dudley act, we’re an Adam Cole away from the dudes I don’t care about being off my TV screen trifecta. Split the freed up screen time down the middle between Hobbs, Hayter, Starks and Daddy Magic and call it a day.

Do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Weird that people are confusing "work with young talent" for "I will lose to anyone and everyone".

You really think that outright saying "I will not lose to (insert name here)" who is also the champion at the time mind you is... okay?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Now if Tony were super smart, or reading this.  How cool would it be to have Punk booked as a heel who is everything he ended up hating while he was in WWE?!  He could be the part time guy who won't put over the younger talent.  Who would be the best worker to call him out on this?  MJF is my pick, Darby isn't there on the mic,  Kingston is exactly young, Andrade and Page aren't there on the mic either.   It would have to either be MJF or Adam Cole if anyone

The guy he’s wrestling next week.

• Like 1

I like Hangman, but this is the most attention he's gotten in months. Of course he didn't come out to defend himself, he was busy hanging out in the back not getting on tv with his friends in the Dark Order.

Seriously, it's not such a big deal. Even if it was an ad lib, Punk might have thought he was doing Page a favour - at least he got the guy's name back in the same paragraph as the World Title. I'm pretty sure Ethan has been the Page with the most tv time lately.

And calling Punk a "part timer" is rich. The guy was hurt. Nobody's calling Miro a part-timer. What about Joe, or Hangman himself? Was Danielson a part-timer until he came back to lose to Garcia? I'm sure if you look at the number of matches guys had over the period between when Punk came in and when he got hurt, he'd be well within the bounds of normal for this overloaded roster.

Now, in the interests of fairness, if he really did basically force Colt out then that's an assholish thing to do. And if he really told Hangman "I am never ever losing to you" then that's an asshole thing too. (Personally I think if anything it was more likely "I am not losing this title match to you" which is not great but not nearly as bad.) I'm sure Punk can be a miserable bastard. But I'm also sure that he can give journos the impression of being a more miserable bastard than he actually is.

Just now, Krone Meltzer said:

You really think that outright saying "I will not lose to (insert name here)" who is also the champion at the time mind you is... okay?

No, that's not okay.

If a "wrestling journalist" who deals in hearsay and rumors is to be believed, sure. Normally I wouldn't go against things Meltzer or SRS say, but SRS in particular seems to have suspiciously detailed information that makes it seem like this info was purposefully given to him for reasons.

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

He's lost one match and it was through bullshit means.

As it should be. Well, he should have beaten MJF on that episode of Dynamite, but yeah.

My point was he didn't debut on Rampage (or the scrum after) and say he wanted to lose to all the young guys. He wanted to work with them. If anyone is mad that he didn't lose to Powerhouse Hobbs at Grand Slam (for example), well, that's on you, because he was only beating jobbers at that point.

• Like 2

One thing to keep in mind, also, is that by and large AEW is a promotion where, when it comes to the big names, the faces tend to win. Every title other than the TBS title is currently held by a face, and strictly speaking the last 3 world champs (including the interim one) have been faces. Hell, even the ROH titles are all held by faces right now.

I think that's one reason why the shows are as enjoyable as they are - certainly it really stood out when Kenny Omega was bucking the trend. By and large it's been sort of the opposite of WCW's "Well how will the nWo fuck over the faces this month?" doldrums. They want to send the fans home happy.

• Like 2

When Punk says he is “Dollars and Cents” he kinda means it.  He isn’t wrong about that either.  

I’d say Punk having a loss (even a bullshit loss) in his first year is getting good mileage bookingwise.  I honestly think it’s about time for Punk to turn heel anyway.  The big return, big feuds, took him all the way to the title.  Oops.  Got injured!  “Smooth”.  

It was a good run.  But it got allll fucked up with the injury.  Let’s be bitter.  

I can’t judge Punk.  I’m repressing a lot of anger too.

Did I say that out loud?

Punk's one year debut anniversary is this Saturday, and he defends the AEW World title just days later on Dynamite, in a town where the last time he was scheduled to wrestle - he walked out and didn't return to wrestling for seven years.

But yeah, totally a shoot guys.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don't quite get the endgame in my head, but there's one mighty civil war with several people hating one another or beeing torn between picking sides heating up involving Adam Page, Bryan Danielson, Chris Jericho, Claudio Castagnoli, CM Punk, Daniel Garcia, Eddie Kingston, FTR, Jon Moxley, MJF and Wardlow on the horizon. And I'm also trying to add Darby Allin, Jungle Boy (and thereby Christian), Orange Cassidy and Ricky Starks into the mix.

It's New Blood vs. Millionaire's Club all over again. Hooray. What's David Flair up to?

• Like 1

I dont see how it's possibly not a work, unless it actually turns out to somehow be a shoot, in which case boo it sucks. Listening to Alvarez screech into my ears this morning about how it's a million percent for certain a shoot is as good a reason as any to put my Observer subscription money towards a Charles Gayle album on Bandcamp or something.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, just drew said:

Boy, Punk really popped a rating his first week back, too…

Yeah, #2 for the night is terrible. And #9 overall including broadcast TV.

Just the absolute shits. Pack it up, boys.

• Haha 1