DVDVR Message Board

2021 General MUSIC Discussion

Got confirmation on my tickets for Deftones / Gojira / Poppy at the Anthem in DC on August 29th.  I'll definitely put in for leave on the following Monday since I will probably end up driving back to the RVA after the show.

One of my infosec homies has already given me money to pick up a Gojira shirt for him. 

I am going to a concert with Poppy on the bill.  I feel that my daughter will laugh at me.

I am old.  I should probably get some ear plugs, shouldn't I?

I will be a busy dude in August because I also have tickets for RATM / RTJ on the 15th.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I didn't take earplugs to my first Iron Maiden show and that was a terrible mistake

Anyway, not related, just scrolling the youtube, the more I watch Les Claypool play bass the more he makes me say 'what the fuck', this owns.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:45 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Young or old you should wear earplugs. As someone who's had encroaching tinnitus since he first plugged in a guitar, trust me. 

I remember standing near the speakers at a Motorhead concert and not being able to hear shit for like 3 days. It was kind of scary because it didn't go away after a few hours or a day. It wasn't even one of those things where it gradually got better after a bit and then went away. It was just like a constant stream of white noise in my ears for a couple of days. I went to work and literally had to have people write shit down that they wanted to say to me.

• Like 3

Yeah, guys.  I am already in the market for a decent pair of stadium earplugs.  I am open to suggestions.

@cwoy2jthat is tantamount to hearing suicide. Did you end up next to the speakers by accident or was it a conscious decision on your part? Because that's not very smart 😄

The loudest show that I was ever at was probably Destructor at one of the Chicago Heights Classic Metal Fests. I'm sure the other bands didn't help but they were the headliner and were super juiced (as was I, just in a different fashion; I remember people having to hold me up haha). The next morning I woke up in the hotel room and was literally in pain. It took an hour for my ears to stop hurting. The second loudest was a Selfish and Hellshock show with like four opening bands. The openers were fine but Hellshock was LOUD and I guess Selfish decided that as the overseas band they had to be LOUDER. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

When I saw James Blake, the bass from his set almost made my brain explode. But that's the only time I've ever been a little uncomfortable with the volume or anything at a concert.

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

@cwoy2jthat is tantamount to hearing suicide. Did you end up next to the speakers by accident or was it a conscious decision on your part? Because that's not very smart 😄

The loudest show that I was ever at was probably Destructor at one of the Chicago Heights Classic Metal Fests. I'm sure the other bands didn't help but they were the headliner and were super juiced (as was I, just in a different fashion; I remember people having to hold me up haha). The next morning I woke up in the hotel room and was literally in pain. It took an hour for my ears to stop hurting. The second loudest was a Selfish and Hellshock show with like four opening bands. The openers were fine but Hellshock was LOUD and I guess Selfish decided that as the overseas band they had to be LOUDER. 

It was a combination of both. I wanted to be close to the stage and there was also a ramp to get to a beer vendor nearby. So my wife and I got close to there. I wasn't consciously trying to be next to the speakers as much as I was just trying to get close to easy beer access and trying to be close to enough to see Lemmy  rock out. The place was pretty packed and the one spot we found where we could see stuff that was also near the beer vendor/bathrooms and didn't have a ton of creepy neckbeards trying to grab my wife's ass (it was fucking ridiculous, I was pretty close to getting into like 10 fights that night) happened to be near the speakers.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is great. I was always afraid that they'd be too melodic or slow (DC hardcore minus Minor Threat and Void always felt like that to me) but the songwriting is fantastic and the vocals and guitars, yes, fairly emotional, pre-dating what would become of the scene after Revolution Summer. "Linger in the Past" is brutally self-excoriating and sounds like a missing song by the latter-period of The Freeze. "Forever Gone" is about a teen suicide that was so heavy for the writer that he would break down onstage playing it and they'd have to stop the set. Really good album from a really good band. 

I'm pretty sure Bonnaroo 2009 was the last concert the Beastie Boys did as a trio, and I'm quite honored to have been at that.

Even if I was kinda pissed they only played newer stuff that I wasn't familiar with.