DVDVR Message Board

The All Encompassing Star Trek Thread

Eivion

13 hours ago, Raziel said:

Do I lose my Trekkie card if I say out loud that I like Paul Wesley's Kirk way more than Shatner's.

Nope. I'm feeling the same way. He's not doing Shatner but he's nailing Kirk, with just a dash of Shatner. And it's what a young Kirk would be like. He's great. My sister in law watched that Vampire show for awhile and from what I saw everyone was as CW as it gets.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt D said:

I'm 9/10th through S3 of Picard and it was fun to go back through the thread and see everyone's ideas and then it just be the Borg again. All of you took it well though. It very much felt like a Daleks teaming up with the Cybermen kind of outcome to me. I've got nothing against the Borg coming in (though I was trying to explain to my wife how it was like someone using Venom again in a Spider-Man story), but it did feel a little weird after that had been such a focus of S2. I have this weird gap where I never saw DS9 

Exactly Matt. And I LOVE DS9. I loved that it wasn't the Borg per se, it was the OG Borg Queen who Janeway defeated teaming up with a rouge faction of The Founders. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

They dropped the Strange New Worlds/ Lower Decks crossover today. I just watched it, and I'm about to watch it again. 

I say this with all conviction, it's my favorite episode of any Star Trek ever. It was an emotional rollercoaster. I was laughing my ass off and then crying out of nowhere so many times. It's a masterpiece.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

How do you get these 4 days before they're supposed to drop?

First time was a glitch, this was planned. If I get it early again it's cause Q digs my podcasts and YouTube show.

My previous Number One Trek episode is DS9's "Trials and Tribblations", and this ep is a spiritual successor to that one.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

SBW S2E7 -Those Old Scientists 

I'm not giving any spoilers but this episode was amazing! Exactly what you'd want a SNW/LD crossover to be. They do reference thecsame episode ofcthe original TOS Animated Series rwice, further establishing that episode's caconicity (canonality?).

And yet another music cue (from First Contact) that made me a little misty!

I cannot recommend this episode enough (even if Lower Decks ain't your kinda Trek)

James

• Like 1

As someone who tapped out on Lower decks about five minutes into the first episode, easily the worst Strange New worlds. Both characters were annoying, but the male was like nails on a chalkboard. Just a complete clusterfuck and WHY? for me. I will admit the closing gag was funny.

Edited by Kuetsar

We're just on episode 1 or 2 of this season and I'm dreading getting to this one just for how much I imagine my wife is going to hate it. I'm sure she'll love the musical one though. I can see us just skipping it so that I don't go through the grief of it all.

• Like 1

I have to let this one sit a bit, but my first reaction is that it is just fine - and I love both Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds. The whole thing felt stretched, I think this would have worked much better as a 25 minute Lower Decks special than as a 45 minute SNW episode.

• Like 1

I love how SNW can just tonally shift like old TV. Last episode was the Saturday Night Special crossover comedy with Lower Decks, ( Seriously, even if it takes you a couple of episodes...check out LD. It's wonderful) , and this one was HEAVY. That kind of tonal shift can be jarring, but even though SNW is episodic, the characters aren't. This was hinted at in the first episode and it paid off. 
It reminded me of DS9's, "In The Pale Moonlight ".

• Like 1

Everyone in the SNW Cast is fucking fantastic, and Jess Bush is at the top. She's amazing. Looking her up, she won a Model TV show in Australia and got a few acting gigs in Soaps. This is her first big role and she is killing. She's a special talent.

Edited by Johnny Sorrow
  • Like 1

The back and forth between light and dark tones is kind of amazing in how well it works. This week's episode was fantastic. So happy we got a follow up to what we saw back in the first episode of the season. Thought we might have to wait another season

Ok, that musical episode was amazing, even the boy band Klingons.

I'm also low key loving them finding a way to get Bruce Horak into multiple episodes this season.

• Like 1

I don't want to say anything yet about the season finale because I know I'll spoil it for someone somehow, but Holy Shit. It was awesome. And let's hope the AMPTP gets their heads outta their asses sooner rather than later. If you thought it was a long time between Best of Both Worlds parts one and two, get ready.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1