DVDVR Message Board

NCAA 2016: Goin' Bowling & PLAYOFFS~

Dolfan in NYC

7 hours ago, EVA said:

I've said all season that Clemson is one of maybe two or three teams that could match up with Alabama.  Their DL is going to give Jalen and the OL a hard time all night, and obviously their offense is loaded.  Mike Williams is going to have a big game, I think, witht he way he abuses single coverage.

And it's not a great sign that Jalen has played his two worst games by far in the SEC title game and yesterday.  He may have hit the rookie wall.

The only things really trending in Bama's direction are Bo Scarbrough's emergence, which might be peaking at the right time, and the fact that Watson throws a ton of interceptions along with all the TDs.  But beyond that, I think it's really going to take a superhuman effort, even above and beyond what we've seen them do already, by the Bama defensive front for Alabama to win.

I'd say it's part rookie wall/part Lane calling awful games. It's kinda crazy how hard he seemingly fights giving Bo carries when it's shown to be working quite well. Like, the QB keeper stuff wasn't working the entire game, yet Lane kept throwing that out there almost every drive and the offense was stalling so bad that I heard "goddamn Lane Kiffin" numerous times from just about everyone sitting around me after the first quarter.

BTW, you cannot truly appreciate how massive a human being Bo Scarbrough(or Jonathon Allen) is until you see him live. Ho. Lee. SHIT.

4 hours ago, Ryan said:

Tomorrow, Tabe and I GO TO WAR or something. Go Badgers.

BRING IT! And by "it", I mean some high quality Wisconsin cheese. Love that stuff. 

I mean, I made a "Fire me, I'm already fired!" joke on Twitter last week, but I didn't think Saban would actually DO it. 

Lane Kiffin's true calling isn't coaching football. It's giving symposiums on how to ace job interviews. 

2 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

To be fair, the Ole Miss guy is Lane's brother.  I can understand that happening. 

Hiring Art Briles' kid after the Baylor mess is a puzzler, though.

He thought about hiring Art himself!

Kiffin did a great job for the better part of 3 seasons, but something was definitely amiss on Saturday.  Really, things have been amiss on offense almost from the moment Orgeron got the LSU job.  I think he's had one foot out the door ever since, and it showed on the field.

That said, was it amiss enough that making a major staff change the week of the biggest game of the year was the best course of action?  I don't know about that.

1 hour ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

How does someone get fired from a job he's already quit? Saban literally packed Kiffin a sandwich and told him to get the fuck gone. Wow.

Jackie Sherrill fired Jimmy Johnson at halftime of the Tangerine Bowl. Johnson had taken taken the head job at Oklahoma State and wasn't taking the game seriously so Jackie gave him and Dave Wanstache their walking papers at halftime.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, happjack said:

Jackie Sherrill fired Jimmy Johnson at halftime of the Tangerine Bowl. Johnson had taken taken the head job at Oklahoma State and wasn't taking the game seriously so Jackie gave him and Dave Wanstache their walking papers at halftime.

This is totally, 1000% something Jimmy would have done to someone as a head coach. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, happjack said:

Wow, somehow never heard about that!

I don't know if the change is going to be that drastic for Alabama.  Sarkasian has been in Tuscaloosa since the fall, though he hasn't directly worked with players.  So while he hasn't been calling the plays, he knows enough to where can make a few adjustments and run the offense to Saban's liking.  Plus, Clemson will be caught off-guard with the change, which sounds like a Saban thing to do.

Saban sort of did, between the lines.  Hurts has regressed and apparently, he expressed confusion in what Kiffin had asked him to do in the Peach Bowl.

Long story short, Saban didn't Kiffin's half-assing it to negatively impact his young QB any longer.

It's amazing--all the grief Al Davis got about the overheard projector and screaming HE'S A LIAR at that press conference.  Once again, Old Man Raider was proven right.