DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2C: TETSUA NAITO vs. IO SHIRAI

MM16: 2nd RDC - Tetsua Naito vs. Io Shirai  

64 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

There was a time when people within Joshi fandom had Mio Shirai to be the breakout star and were writing Io off as a spot monkey. I disagreed with that assessment simply because when this idea was bandied about Io had been wrestling less than 2 years nd I knew just by how she handled herself that the other pieces would fall into place for her. I honestly think her only major flaw is that she misses her mark on the moonsault more than she should. She was in my favorite Joshi match of the voting period (the Hudson Envy match from the 5 Star GP) .

Naito is all character work now and in a year or 2 everyone is going ot be tired of his act. When that happens he is going to have to remember how to wrestle a proper match again.

Io gets my vote

James

Naito is all character work now and in a year or 2 everyone is going ot be tired of his act.

Considering someone like Minoru Suzuki has had no problem sustaining his character for more than ten years I see no reason why Naito couldn't as well, especially since his is much cooler anyway.

Naito has a great match vs Shibata in the G1 and their rematch was really good as well. Most importantly to me he's been super enjoyable to watch in everything he's done and his match vs. Yano from the G1 may have been my favourite match all year. I would vote Meiko over Naito easily, the other worker in a great Meiko match not so much.

There was a time when people within Joshi fandom had Mio Shirai to be the breakout star and were writing Io off as a spot monkey.

No, there wasn't. People just went with the weird assumption that other people would feel that way despite Io clearly being further along in the ring.

But Suzuki 's character isn't made to look weak like Naito's is.

James

That's a booking problem, not a Naito problem. And I bet somebody fucking regrets it now that they've been hit with those high-level departures.

If you're voting Naito for his gimmick, fine.  But if he has any great matches in the time period, it's a very short list.  Even though he was wrestling regularly, some people wouldn't have any Naito in like their top 50 NJPW matches from March to March.  The Voices of Wrestling MOTY poll for 2015 spat out a list chock full of New Japan, but has no Naito in the top 100.

Don't know about that but she already was a trashy bad girl cocky heel before Stardom when Rossy realized he could turn her babyface to rebuild her cred after the whole arrest debacle.

James

If you're voting Naito for his gimmick, fine.  But if he has any great matches in the time period, it's a very short list.  Even though he was wrestling regularly, some people wouldn't have any Naito in like their top 50 NJPW matches from March to March.  The Voices of Wrestling MOTY poll for 2015 spat out a list chock full of New Japan, but has no Naito in the top 100.

That's interesting. I want to say he had a couple of matches in G1 that would make the low end of a top 50-100 for me. I'm by no means an "OMG NEW JAPAN IS THE BEST EVER" type fan either.

Man you are not going to convince me by pointing to VOW. People like Dragon Gate over there. And since his gimmick is intertwined in his ringwork I don't see why it wouldn't be a valid reason. And considering how many of the New Japan "greats" are worked these days I'm fine with Naito working differently.

Shirai is pretty darn nifty but she does a lot of contrived spots. Satomura is the complete opposite and that match was a great contrast. Going to try and watch some more Io before voting but I'm a big fan of Naito's.

Naito is all character work now and in a year or 2 everyone is going ot be tired of his act.

Considering someone like Minoru Suzuki has had no problem sustaining his character for more than ten years I see no reason why Naito couldn't as well, especially since his is much cooler anyway.

He certainly could sustain his character for ten years, but nothing he's done in wrestling to date suggests he's going to be the next Minoru Suzuki (to me, anyways).