DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

Lost in the twitter nonsense, Lebron dropped a huge triple double last night.  We must be getting close to that triple double record we talked about last week.  I swear there have been like 5+ since then.

Anyways, back to Lebron.  The dude is about to go the fuck off.  Playoff Lebron incoming.

After they shit the bed against the Heat you knew he was going to turn it up the next game. 

Also I want to reiterate how much I love Taj Gibson making everyone on the Bulls feel like dicks when he's hustling his ass off with a bum hamstring. 

• Like 1

For the record, I would be shocked if Lebron left Cleveland again even if he wants to. He's pretty brand conscious if nothing else, and even if they all hate each other behind the scenes, there really isn't a better spot for him basketball wise. I think this is all pretty calculated to remind the Cavs that he can leave. He wants to make sure they don't get complacent, and he wants to make sure that he has his finger in the pie. There have been a lot of moves this season that have been perceived as "anti-Lebron" (trading AV, trading Cunningham, not hiring Marc Jackson), and this is Lebron giving management a not so subtle reminder that the ball is in his court. It's like your wife casually dropping that she's gonna go out for dinner with an ex boyfriend to catch up. 

The Cavs off season will be really interesting. Mozgov has basically played at a below replacement level, so who knows what his market will be. The Cavs will almost certainly look to trade Kevin Love, even though it undoubtedly makes them worse. The only question is whether they trade him and find a way to keep Lebron at SF, or do they trade him for a wing and Lebron actually plays a considerable amount of time at PF moving forward. I don't think he's gone, but I think they would be right to question Lue as the coach moving forward. They haven't found consistent rotations, the changes he said he'd make on offense haven't happened and the changes he made to the defensive schemes he ended up scraping and going back to what they were running under Blatt. His rotations have been truly baffling. Every good team in the NBA knows exactly who is playing and when. Lue can't even figure out who the first man off the bench is. Sometimes the 6 minute mark will come and I'll see people checking in and then I'll realize it's James Jones getting some run at PF. In the first quarter. 

I think this season would be viewed very differently if the Warriors weren't the Warriors. The Cavs are going to win 58-60 games. Toronto is playing out of their minds, but I don't think anyone in the east is a serious threat to the Cavs. And yet Cavs fans are screaming about the team under achieving and body language and whatever else. The whole thing is insane. It's like people have forgotten that they didn't really wow anyone for most of the regular season last year either. I'm not saying I think they are going to win, but I am saying anything can happen, and I'd rather have Lebron and all accompanying drama and a chance to win a title over scrapping with Detroit for an 8 seed. 

Also, for what its worth, Lebron followed the Cavs on twitter and instagram again this morning. 

Considering every single team is going to have the money, I can think of 5+ better spots for Lebron basketball wise.  I could probably push it to 10 if you count "wherever Durant goes" as a spot.

Would you rather have Lebron, Melo and Porzingis or Lebron, Kyrie and Love going forward?  How about Lebron/Wiggins/Towns Lebron/Kawhi/Aldridge, Lebron/CP3/Blake or Lebron/Durant/Scalabrine .... 

• Like 1

All joking aside, it would be really hard for him to leave again, but who needs to leave when you can just kick Kyrie and co out.  

In my opinion, Lebron and KD should join forces to destroy the damn Warriors.  I don't particularly care where as long as it ends with Draymond and Curry crying.

• Like 1

A lot of the NBA fanbase has really started to take LeBron for granted. The Cavs are a really good team. In most years, no one would bat an eye at what has gone on with this team. They have some downs among a ton of ups. LBJ's a man and can take the criticisms of his team-building approach.

But it's just that this isn't a normal year. At all. Golden State is hitting a historic high in both record and aesthetics, led by a guy who is changing what we thought a basketball player can do on a court. San Antonio is somehow nipping at their heels record wise. OKC has The Dynamic Duo.

The Cavs are a comparative snooze. They're not really all that fun to watch in terms of style of play compared to the other three teams. The backstage drama is the only real thing with the team that's captivating until they get to the finals.

Jrag's a miserable man though. Like almost CM Punk levels. Not sure we can take his bitterness as gospel here. :)

Don't let my March Madness rhetoric cloud your thoughts about the Warriors.  They are trash human beings.

• Like 1

Curry off the court seems like a nice guy (I'm always a bit wary of people who seem to be just a bit too religious) but on the court he's as cocky as anyone in the NBA today. Shooting the ball and turning to jaw at the opposing bench while it's still in the air is awesome, but it sure isn't "nicest guy alive" stuff.

Craig Sager's cancer is no longer in remission. He's going to fight it all the way but if he weren't getting treatment, the doctors say he'd have 3-6 months to live. Awful news. He comes off as a super dude and his relationship with Pop is fascinating and wonderful.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2016 at 2:44 PM, Greggulator said:

A lot of the NBA fanbase has really started to take LeBron for granted. The Cavs are a really good team. In most years, no one would bat an eye at what has gone on with this team. They have some downs among a ton of ups. LBJ's a man and can take the criticisms of his team-building approach.

But it's just that this isn't a normal year. At all. Golden State is hitting a historic high in both record and aesthetics, led by a guy who is changing what we thought a basketball player can do on a court. San Antonio is somehow nipping at their heels record wise. OKC has The Dynamic Duo.

The Cavs are a comparative snooze. They're not really all that fun to watch in terms of style of play compared to the other three teams. The backstage drama is the only real thing with the team that's captivating until they get to the finals.

Part of it is fans being dumbed down by bad basketball.  Golden State and San Antonio play great basketball and a good portion of the league plays mediocre to bad basketball.

Another part is the Western Conference teams all blowing themselves up for Aldridge last summer in free agency.  

North Carolina passed a very sweeping anti-LGBT protection law repealing all protections and telling trans people they had to use bathrooms based on their 'birth sex'. 

The NBA has said it is 'deeply concerned' about the law, especially since Charlotte is the host of the 2017 NBA All Star Game.   So an implicit threat has been made. 

36 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

North Carolina passed a very sweeping anti-LGBT protection law repealing all protections and telling trans people they had to use bathrooms based on their 'birth sex'. 

The NBA has said it is 'deeply concerned' about the law, especially since Charlotte is the host of the 2017 NBA All Star Game.   So an implicit threat has been made. 

The NCAA also put out a statement saying the law would jeopardize there being any future tournament sites in the state.

Man, fuck NC's government so hard.

• Like 1

Hoiberg's positive effect on the O is outweighed by turning the defense from top 5 to complete and utter dogshit in a 4 month span.  Noah being out obviously plays a big roll, but holy shit.  

He can go on and on about how the players "need to want it," but the truth of it is if you play an Aaron Brooks, Justin Holiday, Doug McDermott, Nikola Mirotic, Bobby Portis lineup you shouldn't be fucking surprised by the defensive lapses.  I don't know who is more at fault, Hoiberg for completely erasing Thibs defensive culture in 4 months or GarPax for creating a roster with so few 2 way players.

Watching the Bulls fall into a thousand pieces without Thibbs, realizing that he's RIGHT THERE for us but won't get the job because Crazy Phill thinks Rambis is the right guy for the job, and then I just cry in agony.

• Like 1

And if you watch their offense, I can't say they're doing much of anything special. I mean they've got a few plays, but so did Thibs. A lot of what they do is dependent on Derrick driving in either kicking the ball out or hitting the lay up depending on what he sees. Which is what it was when he was healthy with Thibs as coach. They're running the same shit he ran with Carlos Boozer, except Pau Gasol actually hits his shots instead of bouncing them off the back iron. They still feed to Dunleavy like they did Kyle Korver. We're supposed to have guys who can stretch the floor with their shooting but Mirotic and Dougie are so inconsistent. The only thing they do consistently is suck at defense. Buttler is good but his plays are mostly ISOs for him and the alley opp he gets from Pau. Which he used to get from Noah. So really HOIBALL is mostly what we were doing before but we're scoring more and there's no defense at all. 

Almost blew that Utah game because of those fucked up lineups he trotted out there. You can't totally blame him because everyone is hurt, but we shouldn't have been in a position where the health of E'twaun Moore determines how good our bench plays.

Gar/Pax are douche bags. They did Thibs wrong. 

Doug is a consistent three point threat, it's just the other aspects of his O that fluctuate rapidly.  I think he is one of the few bright spots for the year simply because his defense went from borderline unplayable to below average.  His lateral quickness has improved so much it's not even funny though.  He can actually move his feet and stay with guys now instead of grabbing on some dude who is about to blow past him.  Looks like he has lost a bunch of weight from his rookie year.

Mirotic has to be on of the most inconsistent people in the league on both ends.  I still think he has the tools to play good defense.  He can block shots and he can switch on to smaller players, but he is also kind of a dummy.  The stuff he screws up on both ends is just completely infuriating. 

Something is obviously still wrong with Jimmy even though he wont admit it.  I would have to agree that even before the injury he was the type of guy who could get his numbers without really getting others involved.  It's funny because Rose assists are down, but it's night and day between the two when it comes to helping the O.  Rose still bends the defense so much more than Jimmy.  

GarPax not trading Pau at the deadline looks so stupid right now.  

The one positive from this season is that Rose is really fun to watch.  The grueling/ugly ball he was playing early in the year feels like forever ago.  Still has a turnover problem, but his offense is outstanding.  It's hard to judge his defense, though.  He is a terrible PnR defender, but he also paired up with a 36 year old tree in that situation sooo.  Perhaps he isn't as bad as the numbers suggest?  Not sure, but if you look up defensive RPM among PGs he is.. um.. not looking great.

I did feel like it was time for a change with Thibs, but holy hell they should have hired someone established.  I guess pretty much all of last years coaching hires have turned out to be trash, but it was clear about a month into the year that Jimmy, Rose and Pau were doing there own thing on O.  I'm not sure what to do from here, but there is no way Gar and Pax fire Fred in one year simply out of pride.