DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16: 2nd Half

Dolfan in NYC

49 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

The Warriors have rested their starters for entire 4th quarters regularly throughout the season. They should be fine

When compared to teams like the Rockets or Bulls, sure, they are getting rest.  Not when we are specifically talking about a comparison with the Spurs. Draymond, Steph and Klay have played a combined 1,310 MORE minutes that Kawhi, Aldridge and Parker.  

That's why the Lacob quote is so obnoxious.  Who is light years ahead of who in planning and structure?

Parker has a lot of miles on him. I think this is being blown out of proportion and if/when they meet up, it'll likely be way down the list of reasons for one team's success and the other's failure.

Perhaps, but if Dray or Steph develop nagging injuries before that matchup takes place it will shoot way up the list.  I understand the competitive pride in going for the regular season record, but it is not the best path to winning the title.

I guess the main reason I scoffed at the Lacob quote is because it's just completely false.  They have the best player in the league, who breaks defenses simply by being on the court, on a fluke contract. That's why they are destroying teams.

The best NBA better in the world believes they would lose a 7 game series to the Jazz if Curry was unable to play.  I'm not sure I agree with that, but I would be lying if I said I don't want to see that scenario play out.

Not that I want to see Steph go down hard, but if he rolled his ankle in game 1 of a Jazz series all bets are off.

• Like 2

I listed Parker, by the way, because I simply took the top 3 MPG guys from each team.  All 3 Warriors play more MPG than Kawhi.  All 3 have played at least 4 more games than the any of the Spurs big 3.  Parker is playing 27 MPG.

The Jazz are a really good team. Gobert ("The Stifle Tower", great nickname!) gives most every team, particularly in the small ball age, trouble. He was destroying the Warriors last night on the glass and changing shots in the paint on defense. He  needs to improve his mid-range game and FTs and he'll be unstoppable. Hayward is a great player and damn near won last night's game with a late 3 (before almost giving the game away before making up for it with a steal). Favors' ankle is in bad shape but his smash mouth style would hurt the Warriors too. Hood can go off. It's a dangerous team that's well coached. They will give the Warriors or Spurs a tough go of it and I'm excited to see them match-up with either of the big boys for a 7 game series.

Warriors are without Iguodala, don't forget. He's part of their, by far, strongest line-up and the one that should see the most game time during the playoffs. Harrison Barnes has played like dog shit for the most part since returning from injury. He was one of the main reasons last night's game was close. He went 1-8 from beyond, and most of those were wide open. His shot is kind of broken at the moment. 

How would the Spurs handle the Jazz without Kawhi? I think a Spurs/Jazz series would be tighter than a Warriors/Jazz series. Kawhi likely shuts down Hayward but Favors and Gobert would be an interesting match-up against Timmy and Aldridge. 

I should note that I'm far from a diehard GSW fan. Complete bandwagon fan that wants them to make history. After this season, I'll probably go back to half-heartedly hoping the Bucks do something. Giannis is going to start at point guard next year!

GSW is a really well-run organization. But they definitely got lucky with Steph. Or, more accurately, they gave Steph a reasonable contract based on his injury history and Steph took the safe route as opposed to a look at the market. And there were no indications Steph would be this insane. I think the first time everyone was "Woah" on him was his first playoff run. But no one could predict this.

That article didn't touch on the Mark Jackson insanity at all. That place was so weird assistants were taping conversations. That is not the healthy workplace Lacob talked up in that article. 

On a connected note, how bad a coach was Jackson in retrospect? He definitely coached up their defense but their offense was super stagnant, even with the best collection of passers in the league.

But the Spurs are still the Gold Standard. They've been doing this for decades and have reinvented themselves a few times. And extended their window by getting LMA and having Kawhi blow up. GSW has exactly two seasons to brag about.

• Like 1

Perhaps there wasn't an indication that Steph would be this insane because his constant injuries slowed down his development?

The Warriors deserve a lot of credit for implementing this style of play and not making the Kevin Love or Dwight Howard moves.

Talking about who is lucky/unlucky is a bit foolish. The Spurs have had plenty of luck over the years with people going against the best interest of their fellow player and taking ridiculous paycuts. They got lucky the Lakers imploded. They got lucky against the Suns. They were lucky to even get Tim Duncan in the first way. Actually, that wasn't so much luck as it was complete horseshit by the league.

Lacob is especially lucky.  He didn't draft the best player in the world, but he has him.

I'm sure my GSW hatred has something to do with that quote really bugging me, but good god that is the dumbest shit.  It's not just the Spurs who are clearly better at an organizational level.  I would have loved to see Pat Riley's immediate reaction to that nonsense.

9 minutes ago, Jrag said:

Lacob is especially lucky.  He didn't draft the best player in the world, but he has him.

I'm sure my GSW hatred has something to do with that quote really bugging me, but good god that is the dumbest shit.  It's not just the Spurs who are clearly better at an organizational level.  I would have loved to see Pat Riley's immediate reaction to that nonsense.

"I guess I'll just have to backdoor contacts to players and agents against the rules and have them demand trades before their free agency year again."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

But the Spurs are still the Gold Standard. They've been doing this for decades and have reinvented themselves a few times. And extended their window by getting LMA and having Kawhi blow up. GSW has exactly two seasons to brag about.

Gold Standard or not, they've still been bounced out of the first round three out of the last seven years and lost in embarrassing fashion two other times. Let's not pretend this all rides on what Golden State does.  Despite this most likely being their best season ever record-wise, the Spurs are just as likely to get upset by a lesser team as they are to win it all.

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

Gold Standard or not, they've still been bounced out of the first round three out of the last seven years and lost in embarrassing fashion two other times. Let's not pretend this all rides on what Golden State does.  Despite this most likely being their best season ever record-wise, the Spurs are just as likely to get upset by a lesser team as they are to win it all.

Rings > Losing to Memphis

• Like 1

Just watched Tag Team perform Whoomp There It Is during the half time show of this Rockets/Bulls game. So whatever happens in the second half - I've already won.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jaedmc said:

Just watched Tag Team perform Whoomp There It Is during the half time show of this Rockets/Bulls game. So whatever happens in the second half - I've already won.

I got to see them for Sixers/Warriors. It was SPECTACULAR.

Not nearly as good as Red Panda, though.

9 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Rings > Losing to Memphis

I won't for a second tell you that the Spurs haven't had one of the greatest off-and-on runs of all time. I would argue that they may literally be better than the 1960s Celtics in many regards.  But every playoffs in San Antonioland is a roll of the dice.  When they are great there is no one better. When they suck...they FUCKING SUCK. 

If San Antonio gets to sixty-eight wins, we'll be guaranteed at least one bit of ignominious history: we will see a new holder of " best regular season wins by a team that doesn't make the finals."

If they finish on a serious role and get to sixty-nine, we'll be guaranteed to see the best team ever to not win the title.

On 2/17/2016 at 4:45 PM, Zimbra said:

I would guess some combination of the top-heaviness of the league and the impending jump in cap space made people stand pat.  Why make a salary-dump or trade for expiring contracts when you're going to have cap space anyway?

I am a little surprised we didn't see more movement at the top of the East.  I figured a good team would make some moves that might get them past Cleveland and then they could take their chances in the Finals.

This offseason is going to be bananas.

You think that is fun wait until the next year when the CBA expires and the league shuts down as the owners want to get out from all of the bad deals they signed the year before.

Okay, the Warriors looked pretty fatigued during that 4th quarter. I put it on after NXT finished and it was a great ending. Only one more loss to play with and they have to play the Spurs twice, once in San Antonio. This shit just got really interesting, really fast.