DVDVR Message Board

2016 NFL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

Brittany Burns - the 26 year old fiancee of Bills LB Tony Steward - passed away Monday of ovarian cancer

There is no good age to die but 26 is so fucking far away from "good" it isn't funny.

Fucking cancer

• Like 1

You kind of did

If that's the perception, then that's what I must have done, albeit unintentionally. I didn't mean to imply I'm happy he's gone or good riddance or anything like that. I've loved watching him play. And I'm certainly not irritated with him like I was with Barry "I'll retire late to screw you guys and all my teammates" Sanders.

This is not just to you but to other Lions fans on the board- When Barry retired and to this point a lot of people view Barry as one of and some will argue the greatest RB of all time.  Obviously that's based on perceived ability and not total compiled stats but I'm wondering how Calvin Johnson will be viewed in the bigger picture. 

Oddly, my perception of Barry has actually gone down over time. I dont know if thats bitterness or perspective or what. Theres no way now i would rank him ahead of Emmitt, whcih i would have then.

My view of it is if you absolutely need one yard, pick Emmitt, but if you need 80 yards pick Barry.  Barry Sanders was one of the best running backs of all time, but he was also the biggest boom or bust running back of all time.  Barry Sanders and Jim Brown are the only running backs who have over 10,000 yards who averaged 5 yards per carry.  Barry Sanders also had more runs for a loss than any running back in history.  Add in his piss poor playoff performances, and I can 100% see why someone would rather have Emmitt, but there was no one more fun to watch than Barry.

Fun, until you are watching a lions/packers playoff game in grad school in a room full of Wisconsinites, one of whom is actually from GB, and Barry gets minus yds rushing and the Lions lose again.

Barry could be magical, but i dont know if any one game he had tops the separated shoulder game Emmitt had vs the Giants.

Earl Morrall, who passed away in 2014, had stage 4 CTE.

I don't even know why they are still testing.  You get to the NFL, odds are you have CTE.  That is years and years of repeated hits to the head.  You get CTE if you do that.

Oddly, my perception of Barry has actually gone down over time. I dont know if thats bitterness or perspective or what. Theres no way now i would rank him ahead of Emmitt, whcih i would have then.

I don't know. You give Sanders the offensive line that Emmitt got to run behind, and I think that guy could have averaged damn near 2,000 yards a season.

Sanders, for my money, is still the best pure running back I've ever seen.

I don't even know why they are still testing.  You get to the NFL, odds are you have CTE.  That is years and years of repeated hits to the head.  You get CTE if you do that.

Saw on ESPN that Ken Stabler had stage 3. Not surprising.

I don't know. You give Sanders the offensive line that Emmitt got to run behind, and I think that guy could have averaged damn near 2,000 yards a season.

Sanders, for my money, is still the best pure running back I've ever seen.

That used to be one of my pro-Barry talking points, how vastly superior Dallas OL and scheme was compared to Detroit.

90 out of 94 NFL brains they've studied in Boston have had CTE.

Of course, this is a self selecting sample. NFL players who felt strongly enough they might have brain damage to donate their brains did have brain damage.

Either way, it's awful.

Depending on your position and level of competition it's probably long before that for many. You're probably fucked before you even get out of HS.

Smith had a better o line and a better passing game to open things up, and Barry still usually finished with more yards and a better ypc.

I wanted Herman Moore's head on a pike many times anyway.

You have no idea how long it took me to figure out the "mirrored ball" part.

It's not what you think it is, you really don't want to know what she actually means by it. He's a freak like that.

I've always hated the "If Barry had Emmitt's line," talk.  Barry Sanders' offensive line wasn't terrible, and his running style undermined his offensive line's blocking assignments.  Emmitt Smith did play behind one of the best offensive lines ever, but he was also really fucking good.  Barry's offensive line was merely good, but his running style made them look worse than what they were.  He spent a lot of time running away from they were blocking.  I do want to know what he would have been like in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme.  He could have been incredible in a scheme where the blocking scheme was more of an abstract concept than a concrete concept. 

• Like 3

I've always hated the "If Barry had Emmitt's line," talk.  Barry Sanders' offensive line wasn't terrible, and his running style undermined his offensive line's blocking assignments.  Emmitt Smith did play behind one of the best offensive lines ever, but he was also really fucking good.  Barry's offensive line was merely good, but his running style made them look worse than what they were.  He spent a lot of time running away from they were blocking.  I do want to know what he would have been like in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme.  He could have been incredible in a scheme where the blocking scheme was more of an abstract concept than a concrete concept. 

Hit the nail on the head.  People act like Barry had the worst offensive line ever and anyone who played in Dallas could have been Emmitt Smith. 

• Like 1