DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

That is weird timing. I really enjoyed that, thanks for the link. I'm not a D&D guy, and I don't really have the "friendset" to board game, but I see exactly what the writer's saying.

And trust me, I would've been much more miserable playing Destiny. I hated the demo - I suck at first-person shooters. The Overwatch demo was the first FPS I really enjoyed. What's weird is, that said, I play Fallout 4 in first person all of the time now. I had to "grow" into it, get used to it, but the guy is easier to move around in first person.

Fallout 4 is really a perfect game for what I'm trying to do - no multiplayer team or competitive. I have enough skill at GTA that I'm probably not going to be a burden - some of my favorite times of playing GTA of late have been just grinding missions with randoms. I don't need the money, really, and I sure as hell don't need the RP, but I'm just good enough to be an asset, most times, and it's fun to see if this ragtag group of strangers is decent enough to do some of the more particularly challenging missions. I'll have good days occasionally in Freemode, but its mainly me getting kicked around like a tin can, leading me to think "YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME SINCE CHESTER A. ARTHUR WAS PRESIDENT AND YOU CAN'T DO ANY BETTER THAN THIS?"

Basically, gaming for me lately has been a constant reminder that "you suck at this. You suck at this. You suck at this." Is this how I want to spend my free time?

Clearly biased to D&D and board games, as I'm a big fan of both. That said, I have a problem with board games too, as not having a friend base for it. However, it is worth noting, if you have Steam, Tabletop Simulater could be an option, as they have TONS of games set on that, and you can start games with friends. Heck, for all the talk we have about getting a gaming group for different things, a weekly board tabletop simulater game would be a blast.

As for DnD, my 8th level Gnome Cleric/Sorcerer has quite literally got the killing blow on every single Chromatic Dragon I've encountered, and each time got a yell of pure joy. 

I used to love D&D as a kid, then I played it as an adult and was rather underwhelmed. To each their own, though. I think D&D-type games (like Skyrim) were basically what computer gaming and video gaming systems were built for. I loved Skyrim. Guess it takes all the 1d20 whatnot out of things. Even when I play Skyrim-type games, I always set my character up to be a big brute basher. None of that magic crap for me.

Out of curiosity, when did you play it? Generally, DnD had lost a lot of it's fanbase in the last few generations, and has came absolutely roaring back since they moved to 5th Edition. DnD right now might be the most prominent it's ever been, figuring there are DnD games on Twitch that regularly get 20 thousand viewers.

As a kid, probably 34 years ago. As an adult, maybe 20 years ago.

Oh, I have no doubt D&D is as strong as ever. People like the physicality of playing games with figures and dice and whatnot instead of playing by yourself or with total strangers there to give you grief.

Those card games like Magic impress me. There was kind of a semi-"Magic" game in Witcher 3, and I had no damn idea what was going on.

Well, considering I had no idea what was going on trying to play it in Witcher 3, I'll prepare myself not to buy it.

I can't even think of the name of it. I'm glad it wasn't super essential to playing the game.

On a whim and still buoyed by Zelda: BotW hype from E3, I bought Zelda II: The Adventure of Link to play since I'm rampaging REALLY quickly through Uncharted and will likely take a short break before playing Uncharted 2. I haven't played this since I was maybe eight years old and thought that it would be fun to revisit it. 

Everyone who calls it NES Dark Souls is exactly right: It's balls hard, easy to stumble into the wrong place and get fucked up, every level up feels earned, progression is very nice and feels earned as well, and patience and use of the shield in combat is key. 

The only problem is that the combat itself is orders of magnitude worse than Dark Souls, so it's more frustrating than satisfying in the moment, but the Zelda after BotW needs to be a revisit to this type of gameplay except in 3D. I want a balls-hard Zelda game with layered combat. 

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

On a whim and still buoyed by Zelda: BotW hype from E3, I bought Zelda II: The Adventure of Link to play since I'm rampaging REALLY quickly through Uncharted and will likely take a short break before playing Uncharted 2. I haven't played this since I was maybe eight years old and thought that it would be fun to revisit it. 

Everyone who calls it NES Dark Souls is exactly right: It's balls hard, easy to stumble into the wrong place and get fucked up, every level up feels earned, progression is very nice and feels earned as well, and patience and use of the shield in combat is key. 

The only problem is that the combat itself is orders of magnitude worse than Dark Souls, so it's more frustrating than satisfying in the moment, but the Zelda after BotW needs to be a revisit to this type of gameplay except in 3D. I want a balls-hard Zelda game with layered combat. 

I bet that I could still play that game in my sleep. We didn't have a ton of money when I was a kid so one video game was supposed to last for about six months (not counting the occasional rental, which just further shows how old I am). My brother and I beat it so many times, knew all the best routes, everything. We could kill those knight things with the shields in no time flat like it was nothing. And this was before there was gamefaqs, you had to figure out shit yourself.

Man my brother and I would stay up late for hours taking turns killing bits and bots to get the little bit of experience from them. So many childhood memories from that game. No idea how it holds up since I haven't touched it in 20+ years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jstout said:

That is weird timing. I really enjoyed that, thanks for the link. I'm not a D&D guy, and I don't really have the "friendset" to board game, but I see exactly what the writer's saying.

And trust me, I would've been much more miserable playing Destiny. I hated the demo - I suck at first-person shooters. The Overwatch demo was the first FPS I really enjoyed. What's weird is, that said, I play Fallout 4 in first person all of the time now. I had to "grow" into it, get used to it, but the guy is easier to move around in first person.

Fallout 4 is really a perfect game for what I'm trying to do - no multiplayer team or competitive. I have enough skill at GTA that I'm probably not going to be a burden - some of my favorite times of playing GTA of late have been just grinding missions with randoms. I don't need the money, really, and I sure as hell don't need the RP, but I'm just good enough to be an asset, most times, and it's fun to see if this ragtag group of strangers is decent enough to do some of the more particularly challenging missions. I'll have good days occasionally in Freemode, but its mainly me getting kicked around like a tin can, leading me to think "YOU'VE BEEN PLAYING THIS GAME SINCE CHESTER A. ARTHUR WAS PRESIDENT AND YOU CAN'T DO ANY BETTER THAN THIS?"

Basically, gaming for me lately has been a constant reminder that "you suck at this. You suck at this. You suck at this." Is this how I want to spend my free time?

Honestly, this is gonna sound odd,

One of the ways that I got back into online gaming and the whole "I enjoy it, and give zero fucks about my skill level and that other people bitch about my skill level", is find yourself a MMO you like and then eventually look for a guild of causals.

I stumbled into my WoW guild by accident, and it was a guild of 30-40 somethings that play for fun, they'll occasionally raid/group/dungeon run together, but are all over the place in activity, skill, and gear, and gives zero fucks about it.  One of the most productive online groups of people I've ever come across.  Put my head into a whole new realm of "I'll play, if I do good, awesome, if I suck, fuck it, what am I gonna lose?  Not like I'm gonna need to insert another quarter" and gave me a better headspace to play online.

I decided to drop the big bucks on an old hobby of mine, playing bass. That should keep me busy.

I also read that the new Witcher 3 DLC is completely awesome. Maybe I've given that game enough of a break that I might be able to play it again. That is, when I'm not trying to learn how to play "Emotional Rescue," my new life goal.

I finally powered through the final part of Drake's Fortune, and I must once again say "fuck you" to those zombie creatures. That final boss fight took a couple of tries, as the Remastered version apparently doesn't check point until the third sequence (my understanding was the original hit checkpoint at all 4 sequences). I'm happy to have finished the game, but I thought the finish was a bit underwhelming overall. Then again, I guess you can't expect a super lengthy ending from a game originally released in 2007.

After cleansing my pallet a bit with Destiny and NBA 2k16 (See Destiny Thread), I started to play Among Thieves. I am very early into it, but here are my two big takeaways from the remaster:

1) The jump in visual quality from Drake's Fortune to Among Thieves is breathtaking. I actually am pausing more early on to take in some of the scenery for this thing while also noticing that this is a bit more cut-scene heavy early on than the first game.

2) The early parts of this really double down on the platforming stuff. Stumbling through the snow and climbing that train car along with sneaking into the museum made me go (was this what people were clamoring for and excited about when this was initially released?).

I played some more of Mirror's Edge Catalyst

It got better once I wasn't confined to the strict rules of the tutorial.

Having to unlock basic things like "Quick Turn" is some bullshit but that was known

Of course - it also completely locked up on my mid-mission so that was another strike against it

I am terrible at MGS V. Having fun with it, but stealth is not a thing I'm good, or even competent, at. Any given scenario seems to start fine, but goes to shit real quick. 

So, I got a PS4 for Xmas, and all I have is Witcher III, Fallout 4, and Star Wars: Battlefront. Any suggestions for a next purchase? Haven't played on a game system since PS2. Not a big fan of sports games, but otherwise I'm down for pretty much anything (I think).

15 minutes ago, Control said:

So, I got a PS4 for Xmas, and all I have is Witcher III, Fallout 4, and Star Wars: Battlefront. Any suggestions for a next purchase? Haven't played on a game system since PS2. Not a big fan of sports games, but otherwise I'm down for pretty much anything (I think).

Honestly, I'd hit up a couple of the sell games today, and this includes stuff I haven't hit yet: The sell ends today.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Shadow of Mordor: GOTY
Infamous Second Son is a solid enough first party game that was strikingly gorgeous when it launched
Dragon Age: Inquisition (if you can find the GOTY version for cheap)

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/best-of-e3-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-BESTOFE3SALEPS4G

• Like 1