DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I'm bad at it (but I can tell I'm getting a little better, always a reason for optimism), but there are generally enough people playing at any given time that the game can match you up with other people roughly at your skill level. I am usually on the losing team, but I can't take it too personally because there are two other people on my team.

I've been playing it since just last night and already found myself criticizing a teammate's play to myself. Of course I also scored an unassisted own goal last night, too, so there's room for improvement.

23 hours ago, jstout said:

Hell, I couldn't do it. A friend of mine was showing me how to play a Portal game and I was like "nope, don't need to see another minute, ain't playing it."

The final area in Portal is the biggest bunch of bullshit I've ever seen.

Portal 2 is a better game but requires really dumb online and if trophy hunting is your thing, it requires you to do co op mode, various trophies/achievements, and hug three people on your friends list and complete calibration course with someone who has never done it before.

The problem is match making on PS3 to PC is bugged and Valve refuses to fix it.

Alls I know is I do not have the patience for that problem-solving shit. There's a part of the new Fallout DLC that reminded me of Portal and it was fun at first, but I nearly had a stroke cussing the game by the time it was over.

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Was that within the 'new' target windows or are they still behind?

New estimate was June 19-30.  They took a straight 599, no taxes and free shipping and the UPS page says it'll be here today (Wednesday).  It has signature confirmation and that shit is always a hassle in my experience.  Air conditioners are running upstairs and I really don't want to just camp out in the living room all afternoon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, assfax said:

New estimate was June 19-30.  They took a straight 599, no taxes and free shipping and the UPS page says it'll be here today (Wednesday).  It has signature confirmation and that shit is always a hassle in my experience.  Air conditioners are running upstairs and I really don't want to just camp out in the living room all afternoon.

Well that is a good sign. I am in the July 11th - July 16th window or something like that, but if they are three weeks ahead of schedule maybe I will get it by the end of the month. I am having trouble finding game reviews which is annoying the hell out of me. I hope they don't make me create another website.

So after finishing the Game of Thrones game last week I decided to play another critically acclaimed game: The Order: 1886.

Such a shame this game isn't better. The graphics are beautiful and the world they've created is really interesting and I would like to see more of it, but everything else about the game is just not good. Mediocre gameplay, characters walking at a snail's pace, frequent long and boring cutscenes, a twist that you could see from miles away etc.

I really do hope they make a sequel, though. If they took all the criticisms to heart, they could easily make a kick-ass game set in this world.

5 hours ago, The Z said:

So after finishing the Game of Thrones game last week I decided to play another critically acclaimed game: The Order: 1886.

Such a shame this game isn't better. The graphics are beautiful and the world they've created is really interesting and I would like to see more of it, but everything else about the game is just not good. Mediocre gameplay, characters walking at a snail's pace, frequent long and boring cutscenes, a twist that you could see from miles away etc.

I really do hope they make a sequel, though. If they took all the criticisms to heart, they could easily make a kick-ass game set in this world.

I liked the game, but I could have done without the long unskippable cutscenes.  Also I hate when games use QTE for boss battles, especially the final one.  It was also pretty short, but I only paid $10 for it, so that didn't phase me too much.

2 hours ago, JLSigman said:

Finally beat Dragon Age: Inquisition on Nightmare.

Next up will be purchasing "Blood and Wine" for Witcher 3 and doing another full run of that.

I barely have the patience to go back and finish Origins on normal.   You are a better RPGer than I am.

4 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I barely have the patience to go back and finish Origins on normal.   You are a better RPGer than I am.

My latest adventures are being chronicled in the DA thread but once you get a One you will play Inquistion

I finally gave up on Oculus and, after way too many emails back and forth, cancelled my preorder.  I'm tired of their little shipping games and I'd rather have the money right now than the theoretical promise of a VR set.  I'll get PS VR eventually, as I play most of my games on the PS4 anyway.

Luckys Tale and this Showdown demo look fucking amazing.  They still look like videogame dudes but they look like six foot tall videogame dudes in 3D.  Lucky's Tale is a little too earnest, but a competent 3D land clone more than makes up for it.  Still feels a little too simple but it beats the shit out of that Vita Uncharted game in terms of showing what the system is capable of.  I wanna say it reminds me of shit like Tonic Trouble but I can't figure out if that's good or bad.  Like everytime I see these smiling ass Glow-worm motherfucks trundlin' toward me I just know they're evil.  Then there's these bastard ass bees.  Little shits.  I'm going to beat this game and then play that Chronos game this weekend.  Maybe try some virtual desktop and vorpx shit.  I want to play SNES on a drive-in movie screen like in the old commercial.

Those 360 videos look like crap.  There was a jungle book one that looked kinda cool with a giant orangutan but most of 'em have VHS quality.  Maybe downloaded shit will look better.  I'm going to rip my Dredd 3D blu ray and see what the fuck that does.

5 hours ago, El Dragon said:

I have finally gotten Rocket League, and I currently am 5-0 in online multiplayer 3v3, including one MVP and one OT Game Winner. 

If anyone else has this and wants someone to play with, I'm more then up for some team ups.

Yeah, that'd be awesome. Always a pleasure playing with the guy who likes to stab me in the back with a broken bottle.

I nearly wept tears of manly joy when I logged on and saw Goat Simulator was a Game with Gold. I'm not guaranteeing you it's gonna be a permanent part of my collection, but the price certainly is right for something I've been curious about since it came out.

EDIT: Worth the money. The controls are weird. Can't believe someone charged money for this at one point. It kinda reeks of some designer's My First Game, not something meant to be sold.

Not at all, dude. If I could shank you with a broken bottle, I certainly would. Love online gaming with the Smartest Guy I've Ever Talked to About Pro Wrestling.

Nothing like spouting off my bullshit opinions about wrestling to have you school me and Roast give me his infamous this-guy-has-no-idea "hmmm."

1 hour ago, jstout said:

I nearly wept tears of manly joy when I logged on and saw Goat Simulator was a Game with Gold. I'm not guaranteeing you it's gonna be a permanent part of my collection, but the price certainly is right for something I've been curious about since it came out.

EDIT: Worth the money. The controls are weird. Can't believe someone charged money for this at one point. It kinda reeks of some designer's My First Game, not something meant to be sold.

Didn't it start as an April Fool's prank that people basically crowdfunded into becoming a real product?

So I bought one of those cheapo emulator consoles sold at TRU--the Colecovision one (because it was cheaper than the Intellivision, and I've bought the games on the Atari and Genesis units so many times that I no longer care). I think I'll get my $20 worth, as it's always nice to buy legit copies of things I pirated in the golden age of 8-bit emulation and there are a few absolute gems on there (FRENZY~!). The controllers feel a little cheap, but I knew they would. They are also awkward as fuck to modern hands since the NES transformed how we think of a gamepad with a lot of buttons.  

Anyway, not a bad little buy if you can get a deal on it but I'm not sure about paying full price.  Now if AtGames would throw money at Konami to make a TG16 nostalgia box, I would pre-order...