DVDVR Message Board

NBA 2015-16 - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

OKC opened the year at 7-1 to win the title and are now sitting at 9-1.  I might take that bet.  

I get why people are sleeping on them with the hot starts for SA and GSW, but Westbrook and KD can beat anyone 4 times.  They are the only team in the league who I can confidently say could match up with the GSW death squad lineup.

Westbrook is going to be a real problem for GSW.  They can hide Curry on Waiters if they want, but Klay won't be able to stay in front of Russ.  No one can.

Hey, the Wolves finally snapped the longest losing streak vs. a single team tonight against the Clippers! Almost thought we were gonna blow it, but then Chris Paul's whining and Ricky nutmegging a fool happened.

So Alvin Gentry got out coached by Byron Scott last night. This dude started Norris Cole over Jrue Holiday and then had the audacity to call his team out for starting slow in the mid game interview.

He then went on to have his team play defense for 14 seconds before fouling while down 2 with the shot clock off. The tank is strong in NO.

• Like 1

Many of them were pushing hard for him to get the job so there's extra motivation for them to give him a free pass.

I don't really get why Monty Williams was a problem. They overachieved with a bad roster and Anthony Davis showed improvement. A lot of the basketball media tends to pick small moments from individual games to show why so and so isn't a good coach but I see that as a very faulty way of assessing a basketball coach. There's way more to the job than just what play you run in a specific moment.

Speaking of which, Vinny Del Negro on Zach Lowe's podcast is quite interesting because he still seems a bit salty about getting fired from the Clippers. Zach also pressed him on some of the common media/fan criticisms of him. He had some decent responses and he contradicted himself at other times.

• Like 1

Alvin Gentry is nice to media members, so he gets a free pass, but every team he has been a head coach for has gotten immediately worse. 

He's the NBA's Wade Phillips, you want him as an assistant, you don't want him as your head coach.

Gentry really feels like one of those guys who is a great assistant but doesn't have the skills to be a head coach.  I'd put Thibs in that category as well.

This might be the most insulting thing ever said about Thibs. He would have this Pels team in playoff contention no doubt in my mind.

Gentry really feels like one of those guys who is a great assistant but doesn't have the skills to be a head coach.  I'd put Thibs in that category as well.

This might be the most insulting thing ever said about Thibs. He would have this Pels team in playoff contention no doubt in my mind.

Maybe so!  But he's bad at managing minutes and lineups, so what kind of shape is the team going to be in when they get there?  Especially a team with as many lingering injury issues as the Pelicans.

He's a talented coach, but like I think he's missing some skills necessary to be a good HC.

Gentry has had 2 winning seasons out of 13. 3 if you include him taking over the 7SOL Suns and coaching them for half a season with an interim tag. Thibs has never had a losing record. You can say he's missing some skills or whatever, but at least he gives his teams a puncher's chance by, you know, actually getting them to the playoffs. Alvin Gentry actively makes basketball teams worse, but is universally praised as a "great hire" every time he gets an opportunity. 

I don't know why this bothers me, so I'm sorry for harping on it, but it does for some reason. 

• Like 1

Butler down and the Bulls blow it. Ouch. Rose played well though and Butler's injury might have looked worse than it actually was. He was walking around at halftime.

Sprained knee is the early prognosis.