DVDVR Message Board

Raw 7-13-15

MGFanJay

That whole Divas thing was weird.

I mean it's great that they were all called up but it was just so weird in execution.

Sasha is announced as champ but doesn't have the belt. And she is basically "assigned" to Naomi/Tamina (though they got the best of that deal). It would have made more sense if they had come out and said they had gotten their own backup.

As I said last night - the best thing about that segment was Bayley wasn't involved.

It does explain why both Sasha and Becky had their glasses show up on the WWE Shop

And it is hard to ignore the fact that this is their smoke and mirror way of Nikki not having to drop the belt for awhile. Kinda hard to lose if they are just running 6 women

• Like 1

Russev's shit talking to Owens was great.  He's really coming into his own on the mic.  Match was top notch as well.  I hope we haven't seen the last of Cesaro vs. Russev.  That's a feud I'd much rather see than Russev mucking about with Ziggler.

As good as the Divas segment was, it could have been better as it almost seemed like Gang Warfare Divas Edition.  Also, why was Stephanie acting like a face here?  Granted she came across incredibly disingenuous and her acting was pretty horrid, but it doesn't make sense with her character.

JBL made a TL Hopper reference during the R Truth match.  That got a guffaw out of me.

Steph could just hate the Bellas.  That's something heels and faces can do easily.

And Becky Lynch was at Hogan levels of orange tonight.  It was distracting.

• Like 1

Russev's shit talking to Owens was great.  He's really coming into his own on the mic.  Match was top notch as well.  I hope we haven't seen the last of Cesaro vs. Russev.  That's a feud I'd much rather see than Russev mucking about with Ziggler.

As good as the Divas segment was, it could have been better as it almost seemed like Gang Warfare Divas Edition.  Also, why was Stephanie acting like a face here?  Granted she came across incredibly disingenuous and her acting was pretty horrid, but it doesn't make sense with her character.

JBL made a TL Hopper reference during the R Truth match.  That got a guffaw out of me.

Steph could just hate the Bellas.  That's something heels and faces can do easily.

And Becky Lynch was at Hogan levels of orange tonight.  It was distracting.

I was hoping someone would bring up Becky's spray tan because, holy shit, that was bad.  Al Jolson saw it and said, "hey, that's a bit much."

The conscious decision to slightly downplay the NXT women was weird.  As mentioned, no belt on Sasha, which is really stupid.  Also, Becky didn't get her entrance or gear.  Is this a Kevin Dunn, "their guys shouldn't look like bigger stars than our guys" thing?  Because it was really obvious they were being minimized.

• Like 1

Look, before they ruin the NXT call-ups with shitty 3 minute RAW matches, can we get Sasha/Becky II? Please?

There, I feel better. I have spoken aloud the anxiety I feel every time ANYONE from NXT gets called up. Given the huge difference in booking quality between RAW and NXT, I feel I'm completely justified.

To be fair - I think most of us are happy/excited/hopeful about the call-ups.

It was the execution that felt lacking.

But since this is a wrestling message board - there ain't no fucking time for nuance like that

• Like 4

I'm going on the theory of relativity here, to be honest.  Wish Paige had brought in her backup on her own instead of Steph having to be the one to take the credit.  Wish Sasha had her belt.  Etc.

On top of that, the true impact won't happen for a few more months since Nikki still has to beat out "Mrs. Quitter"'s title reign record.

I still have some hope, since "Kevin Steen goes to Raw looking indy as ever and is booked pretty well" is something nobody in their right mind would have predicted.

I keep telling myself that but we're talking about divas here. Main roster divas are treated like hood ornaments and filler. The NXT ladies are WAY too good to be booked like a that.

• Like 1

The last five weeks of booking the World Title: Seth Rollins has no back up from Kane or J&J, and he is about to face the unstoppable killing machine Brock Lesnar. So he persuades Kane and J&J to be his friends again, and they beat up Brock Lesnar. Who then destroys J&J and Kane, like an unstoppable killing machine. And now, going in to the PPV Special Event, Seth Rollins has no back up from Kane or J&J, and he is about to face the unstoppable killing machine Brock Lesnar.

• Like 2

On top of that, the true impact won't happen for a few more months since Nikki still has to beat out "Mrs. Quitter"'s title reign record.

You keep saying that, but I really don't think they give a fuck about that.

• Like 1

You keep saying that, but I really don't think they give a fuck about that.
I think they do since that was one of the points Nikkie made in her promo.

You need a star in the division for this whole thing to work. You don't even need a bunch like with the dudes. You really just need one person who moves merchandise and numbers. Someone undeniable to Vince and Dunn.

Hopefully it's not just endless six woman tags where everyone beats everyone else and no one gets over.

I was on the phone during the triple threat portion of the match, but once that broke down into Cesaro vs. Rusev. Wow, that was an awesome bit of pro wrestling with both guys really coming off like big babyfaces. It was odd booking with Cena sitting outside playing the role of the heel and waiting to pounce on the worn down flesh that awaited him after that war.

I've said this for about a year now, but I am all in on Rusev. I am amused by his promos. He plays his character perfectly and is a damn fine hand for a guy that has only been doing this for a couple of years.

Also, he is coming off like a complete babyface in this Ziggler feud.

Damn, Rusev.

Seriously, Cesaro and Owen we all know can bring it but the big surprise was that Rusev didn't look like a squeaky third wheel, he didn't look lost and he looked like he belonged.

I'm a big fan but would not have thought his trajectory would be Sasha-like. Would never have thought Lana would be the big loser in all this.

I thought that Divas segment was a fucking mess.  I don't get why Sasha would just join up with Tamina and Naomi.  Is it because they are all minorities?  I need to watch the Cesaro segment.  There really is nothing else of value on the show, right?

It's the Wrestling Rule of Minorities.  They must team or feud.

I'm definitely in on Rusev, especially now that the evii-foreigner schtick is on the back burner in favor of the evil-misogynist-who-just-happens-to-be-not'Murican schtick.  He came off as a total face in the Cena match as Cena dominated him after his tough qualifying match, then he nearly won ANYWAY with a flash reversal into his finisher before Owens screwed him over.

I think some points are being missed regarding the NXT women's callup.

They couldn't bring them in cold.  And Paige doesn't have the necessary juice to bring them in herself--her popularity has taken a hit.  Stephanie brings instant heat to the situation.  Yes, it allows Stephanie to toot her own horn and create a self-narrative. But that was going to happen, anyway.  So it happening now isn't a big deal.  It's best to do it now and have it out the way.

That Nikki keeps bringing up her long title reign makes me think that at the least, her not breaking AJ's reign is on the table.  Notice who had Nikki in submission--Sasha.  Brie and Alicia aren't of huge concern for her. Sasha works all the angles, finds the best means for her to come up on top.   Her alliance with Naomi and Tamina is just that.  There's no reason for her to be against them at this point, and no reason to be in allegiance with Paige.

It makes sense in that Naomi has given several promos about opportunity and the lack thereof.  The difference between Naomi and Sasha is that while Naomi talks about getting chances, she still plays by standard rules.  She still believes in fair play. Sasha doesn't.  She doesn't wait for a chance--she finds chances in the smallest cracks and takes them.

I can see where Naomi think she's finally going to best Nikki in some fashion--only for Sasha to swoop in and take it away.  Because Banks said it herself--it ain't about friendship.  It's about what's in it for her.  Sasha is going to screw over Naomi, resulting in a feud. 

Sasha has already beaten Charlotte and Becky.  She's not on good terms with them.  Paige is the first-ever NXT women's champion and Sasha would love to knock her down a peg.  If she can kick around the three clear babyfaces in all this--Sasha ain't turning that down. 

AND--she gets to wage battle with two previous champs in Brie and Alicia while going after the big prize--Nikki.  And if she can talk Tamina into coming to her side during all this--all the better.

Where there a few glitches in the presentation?  Yeah.  Will this moment be all for naught if Kein Dunn's stupid ass gets in the way?  Definitely.  But for now, the overall arc is good stuff, IMO.

• Like 7

I thought that Divas segment was a fucking mess.  I don't get why Sasha would just join up with Tamina and Naomi.  Is it because they are all minorities?  I need to watch the Cesaro segment.  There really is nothing else of value on the show, right?

It's the Wrestling Rule of Minorities.  They must team or feud.

So does that mean Alicia is too light skinned to team with the darker skin women so they shoved her with the two Hispanic women?