DVDVR Message Board

The 2015 NBA Finals

Dolfan in NYC

Just not enough guns on the Cavs team.  Ran out of gassed again in the 4th and Golden State did what it does.  Hit shots.

This version of the Cavs team doesn't seem deep enough.  It would been a more interesting series with a deeper one.

Curry's fourth quarter was absolutely bonkers and also his normal. There has never been a player like him. I have no idea what was crazier -- the crossover behind-the-back threes or that nonchalant 35-foot bomb he threw up.

Cleveland has benefitted tremendously from being able to grind these games out and they couldn't do that with Love. If they had their offensive stars they'd try to run and gun and the Dubs would probably win going away.

Also, Blatt is acting like a massive dickhead to reporters tonight. I don't think I've seen a more hostile NBA coach post game conference.

I can't say having Kyrie, Love, and Varejao would mean the Cavs win the series.  Golden State would have probably preferred a high scoring series.  I will say having those guys would have allowed Lebron to rest for more than 5 minutes per games without the threat of the game getting out of hand, which would have been a huge plus.

Steph can have poor games and the Warriors still can have a decent shot at winning.  Just deeper.

I can't say having Kyrie, Love, and Varejao would mean the Cavs win the series.  Golden State would have probably preferred a high scoring series.  I will say having those guys would have allowed Lebron to rest for more than 5 minutes per games without the threat of the game getting out of hand, which would have been a huge plus.

Steph can have poor games and the Warriors still can have a decent shot at winning.  Just deeper.

Having that cap space used on players to give depth is what the Cavs should be aiming for moving forward. I think they're better off taking what Love makes and spreading it around to a few different guys.

What pisses me off the most is that if GSW win the Aussie media will pump up "our" NBA Champion Andrew Bogut and totally gloss over him playing so badly he has basically been kicked off the team...

This series hasn't been the right matchup for him but he played a big factor in getting them to this point.

Bogut's one of the best interior defenders in basketball and a ridiculously good passer and sets awesome screens. GSW doesn't win 67 games without him. He's not a good offensive player and also has been getting killed on the glass by the really athletic Thompson and very good Mozgov. He's not a good fit against the Cavs personnel. Good on Kerr et al. for recognizing that and sitting him instead.

This game was super fun. I can't believe the Cavs had LBJ running at the five for a lot of this game. This is a completely new NBA and it's great to watch. It felt like I was watching a mid-major basketball game -- teams that lack height and get around that by shooting, cutting and passing -- but with the best players in the world and not random 2* recruits with bad haircuts.

Anyone who thinks the Cavs are better off without Irving or Love is nuts. The Cavs really could have used one of those two in Game 1 when just one more three in regulation gives them game 1. They got crushed in Game 4 because their guards and shooting was awful (since they were fatigued as anything). The Cavs made 12 3s tonight, which is good, but missed 23 from deep, which is pretty insane.

Delly's a good defensive player but asking him to give you more than 15 minutes a game is asking way too much than what he can give.

Delly's success on Curry is largely based on Cleveland constantly putting bodies on Curry off of screens. It's not like Curry is going nuts when JR Smith is on him when Delly sits. Blatt put in a scheme is taking Curry out in exchange for a 4-on-3 situation that makes

• Like 1

I think Love would be a huge match up problem for Golden State. They are one of the few teams he can be an effective center against. The lineup of Love, Thompson, James, Shumpert and Delly would have been a major headache for Golden State. They go small and Love destroys them in the post (still the most efficient post scorer in the league.) They bring in Bogut to stop that and he pulls him outside where Bogut is less effective. Which gives Thompson more room to grab offensive rebounds and even more importantly puts an ineffective offensive player on the court for Golden State; though he would be slightly more effective being guarded by Love over Mozgov. Not enough for it to be an issue though.

They had to have Green stay on Thompson for the rebounding. If Love's offense forces Green to leave Thompson for Love the rebounding edge for Cleveland would be huge. It's not like Golden State has a huge offensive threat on the team at the 4 or 5. Love did outperform Thompson defensively slightly in the regular season. They were both league average just Love's impact on his opponents shooting was slightly better. That's not taking defensive rebounding into account where you would expect Love to have a lead. I only point that out to be fair to Thompson. Since players take their games up a notch in the playoffs and his defense has gone for average to good. From what I was seeing during the Boston series that certainly wasn't going to be the case with Love. His rebounding would have been a problem for GS though. Golden State isn't a bad rebounding team but they go stretches were they aren't getting any. They don't have a reliable rebounder and you can definitely see why Golden State was one of the teams going after Love. They'll have to address that in the off season.

• Like 1

So I'm obviously a total Cavs homer, but does this GSW team strike anyone else as poor winners? The complain about fouls at a level that can only be described as 'Clippersonian' despite playing dirty. They preen and pose constantly. They are obviously amazing at basketball, but they have really rubbed me the wrong way the past four games.

Also, the Cavs would be annihilating Golden State with Irving and Love. They did in the regular season, for one. They would be playing Irving/Shumpert/James/Love/Thompson.

• Like 1

As someone with no horse in the race, and I can say that the constant complaining on both ends has rubbed me the wrong way.  I think that's why there are no universally beloved superstars in the league, because all of them bitch and complain.

I'm just amazed Draymond Green has only 1 technical in the series and that was off a throwaway double technical. For all the bad calls, the refs have allowed a lot leeway especially with Green.I can appreciate it. Hell they even mention how his mom told him to cut back on it.

Something to watch for if Joey C. gets called to ref one these last two games...

So I'm obviously a total Cavs homer, but does this GSW team strike anyone else as poor winners? The complain about fouls at a level that can only be described as 'Clippersonian' despite playing dirty. They preen and pose constantly. They are obviously amazing at basketball, but they have really rubbed me the wrong way the past four games.

Also, the Cavs would be annihilating Golden State with Irving and Love. They did in the regular season, for one. They would be playing Irving/Shumpert/James/Love/Thompson.

This.

With Love and Kyrie it might be a different story.

Totally different series, though. Cavs wouldn't have elected to "ugly" it up and go LeBron ISO as much.  Kyrie and/or Love would probably have a game where they just go off, though.  It'd be interesting but I wouldn't say Cleveland automatically wins it (not saying you did).

I'd say Warryurz in 7 if both Kyrie and Love played. If just Love played and you had Dellavedova making life miserable for Steph, I think that may have been Cleveland's best option. I just don't think Kyrie is up to guarding Curry and Golden State tends to win faster paced, high scoring games. We'll never know unless Love re-ups and these two teams meet up again next year, unfortunately.