DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

So what I mean by AoS jumping the shark...

I'm not a fan of plot-induced Stupidity, which Bobbi, an Avengers-level hero, is majorly suffering from.  Mockingbird is not an idiot, yet in the show, she is, period.  While I know Other SHIELD's motivations are bullshit, its so bullshit that anyone intelligent should see through it in a second.  Their formation and reasons for hating Fury, basically a "Fuck Fury's orders, Rah rah we can win!" were only supported by blind luck and to build off that was bullshitty.

I'm also not a fan of in the comics, that the X-Men books still focus on anti-mutant popular opinion in a world where the Avengers not only exist, but are venerated as heroes.  Subbing the Inhumans for X-Men is lazy, using the X-Men's anti-everything human protaganist storylines against the inhumans and pushing them on Other SHIELD is lazy.  And we *just* got through a storyline about bad factions within SHIELD, and we're already back to it again.  Mockingbird was the whole "finally we get a more main Marvel hero in the show", and the plot has irreparibally damaged the character.

And its also that after repeated viewings of Winter Solider, I'm really starting to sour on the MCU as a whole, because some bad long term shit was done just to pop the crowd.  But hey, I totally understand if people loved it.  I just didn't.

So what I mean by AoS jumping the shark...

I'm also not a fan of in the comics, that the X-Men books still focus on anti-mutant popular opinion in a world where the Avengers not only exist, but are venerated as heroes.  Subbing the Inhumans for X-Men is lazy, using the X-Men's anti-everything human protaganist storylines against the inhumans and pushing them on Other SHIELD is lazy.  And we *just* got through a storyline about bad factions within SHIELD, and we're already back to it again.  Mockingbird was the whole "finally we get a more main Marvel hero in the show", and the plot has irreparibally damaged the character.

The X-Men and in this case the Inhumans are different than the Avengers in that no one sees the Avengers as a threat to their humanity.  The reason the X-Men and the Inhumans are discriminated against is because people see them as a new species coming to usurp them as the dominant species on the planet.  The Avengers are generally humans who gained extraordinary powers through various means not from birth.  People feel threatened that mutants and Inhumans are not human and a threat that can take everything that humans have built.  That is bigotry 101, fear of people who are different because they "threaten" their way of life. 

With that said, the second SHIELD does feel lazy and unnecessary.  It's kind of the flaw in network television, they aren't guaranteed anything longer than a single season and they seem to stuff as many ideas into each season as possible.  The biggest issue with this show is that they don't have a villain strong enough to be credible threat for an entire season.  Ward, Whitehall, and Skye's dad have all been confirmed as useless against SHIELD, when the shit hits the fan.  Did Triplett really need to die from the terrigen mists?  Wouldn't his death have been better served as a victim of some heinous act by one of the villains?  The villains haven't really done anything to make them feel like they aren't anything but a minor nuisance that stops Fitz and Simmons from arguing for a scene or two.  We don't need more villains, we need villains that matter more.

• Like 2

Now that I can latch onto.  Ward is still plenty dangerous, and I have a feeling he'll be seen as more a threat later in the season.  There was a good chance with Whitehall as he was sooooooo evil, but that was done with.  Even the other Shield can't be seen as big villains.  Not sure how many episodes are left in the season, but they could stand to build up a quality villain right about now.  And the Xmen comparison seems farily on point.  I'm curious how that will play out.  Maybe there's a villain in the Inhumans that will be revealed?

This doesn't damper my enjoyment of the show at all or make feel like it jumped the shark.  It's going to take a bit more to make me feel that way.

I'm also not a fan of in the comics, that the X-Men books still focus on anti-mutant popular opinion in a world where the Avengers not only exist, but are venerated as heroes. 

I've never understood how mutants are so easy to spot in the MCU.  The MCU is teeming with people wearing hit-tech armor, magic users, aliens, people who got their powers from exposure to chemicals or spider bites, gods, robots, etc.  Yet, the average person in the MCU sees a mutant use his powers once and figures out he/she is a mutant.  Eh, how?  How does Joe Q Public know that Cyclops got his powers from the mutant gene and not from.... er.... a radioactive cyclops bit?  How do people know the Hulk isn't a mutant

There's generally no "super powers in general" bias in Marvel, so I don't understand how anyone distinguishes a mutant from, say, a Shield black project.

The "nu-SHIELD" stuff sounds bad to me, particularly since last year's big plotline was "bad SHIELD".  I'm hoping ti plays out better than it sounds (I can't judge it.  I quit watching the show before the Christmas hiatus).

Because mutant powers tend to show up when said person is going through puberty or really, really stressed so it's not really a controlled situation. A lot of people assumed Parker was a mutant when Spiderman first showed up and it was shown to not be true later on. Cyclops has been outed as a mutant for ages now. At this point, you'd have to be some backwoods hillbilly who hasn't even glimpsed at any technology made before the 1900s to not know about him(or Hulk's backstory) for that matter.

It's kinda easy to distinguish when it's a seemingly normal person who's around people they've known their entire lives and all of a sudden, electricity starts shooting out of his/her hands, or they turn into living metal while brushing their teeth, or they destroy shit in a massive telekinetic burst, or turn into living sand.

Didn't they state that Other SHIELD didn't like Fury because they prefer for things to be 'transparent" and all Fury did was compile secrets and lock them away. Not to mention turning one of SHIELD's best agents into an alien, then Coulson turned around and got the whole team in a mess of trouble because of his visions and whatnot. Yeah, it's overkill after the HYDRA stuff last year, but they've explained why they're doing this and it makes sense. To me, anyway, maybe I'm just more accepting of this season because I love the Inhumans/Skye/Mr Hyde stuff. I rather they focus on that, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose.

I just can't wait until after Age of Ultron and we can really kick this Civil War stuff into gear. I suspect that's when they'll do the Speedball episode. Does anyone know when this season ends? Is it a full run like last time, or did Agent Carter take the first 6 episodes of SHIELD's season?

Agents of SHIELD has completely lost me this season with NEW SHIELD.  We are now exactly where we were halfway through last season.  This is nothing more than a bad poorly written rehash of midway through season one.  

All the motivations and reasons for New SHIELD are BS and make no sense.

Let me get this straight, the big turning point was a ship was under siege and they decided to take it back instead of sinking it.  OK...that's it?  The ship was undersiege and overrun by HYDRA, it makes sense you didn't want it to fall in enemy hands.  

Oh so the new SHIELD is a kinder, gentler, diplomatic and democratic spy agency?  WTF?  How does this make any sense.  "We are going to be transparent."  This is bullshit.  The Inhuman stuff better be awesome because Real SHIELD has taken the show completely off the rails.

Maybe you guys should just fall back and wait to see the endgame.  They did a decent enough of a job tying up loose ends, but still leaving enough for a season-ending cliffhanger last season.  I'm not crazy about the 2nd S.H.I.E.L.D, but I have faith in the show.

• Like 1

Return of Deathlok saved the whole "This shit should really be in an X-Men show" stuff.

Mockingbird is officially the dumbest character in the MCU.

• Like 1