DVDVR Message Board

apple stock to plummet tuesday?

misanthrope304

I've got hackers on the trail of a picture of J.T. in his jean shorts, but the Jehovah's Witnesses website has amazingly good security.

I was something of a keyboard cowboy myself back in the day but I now use my powers for the forces of good.  Or at least the forces of democracy... or at least that is what the lizard people tell me passes for democracy these days through the subliminal stimuli sent through my Beats Audio headphones....

I imagine there are a lot of people who aren't even fully aware that they have iCloud activated or what exactly it does. iCloud registration pops up at part of the standard iPhone setup process these days. I bet a lot of people just click through it without giving it a second thought, just thinking its something you need to have for the phone to work.

Yes, how dare anyone expect privacy in this day and age!  Why, they should know better than to take naked pictures in the privacy of their own homes.  What a bunch of loose women!

Taking pictures like that, they had it coming.

I try not to blame the victims of crimes, what can I say?

I will never understand the problem with talking about low-cost risk mitigation. 

Yes, the criminals are responsible for their actions. But life is unfair. You're not a bad person for suggesting people do things safely. "Victim blaming" is thrown around way too liberally. 

Best way avoid being a victim is not to put yourself into a sitiuation where you will be one. 

Protect yourself and your data.

While I agree with you, I do think we have to be careful as to not blame the victims.  You're not doing that, but I've seen others who have, and mostly on the basis of "they're celebrities, they shouldn't take naked pictures!"  Like 90% of the general population is any smarter on that front.

If anything, this will probably cause excessive paranoia about this sort of thing.  But maybe that's not entirely bad, if it keeps us on our toes about our privacy.

If you are a hot female celebrity and want to surprise your male significant other with provocative photos, might I suggest sending it directly to me so I can assert my right to think of you only as a sex object?

FTFY

Yes, that is clearly the point he was trying to get across. Not "if your going to take photos of yourself naked, do so responsibly." Was clearly just "SHOW DEM TITTIES!"

This is a far better response than the very undiplomatic "You're an idiot, Mike" statement that I had in mind.

People who take these sorts of photos on smart phones are the same types of people that update Facebook to tell the world that they are on vacation and their house (and belongings) are unattended.. 

The lack of situational awareness that people have these days is amazing.  You may as just park your car in a poorly lit alleyway with the keys in the ignition and your wallet stuffed in the cup holder.

We have had people at work get fired for taking pictures of test items they are covering in a classified area and post them on Facebook.

Best way avoid being a victim is not to put yourself into a sitiuation where you will be one. 

While I agree with you, I do think we have to be careful as to not blame the victims.  You're not doing that, but I've seen others who have, and mostly on the basis of "they're celebrities, they shouldn't take naked pictures!"  Like 90% of the general population is any smarter on that front.

If anything, this will probably cause excessive paranoia about this sort of thing.  But maybe that's not entirely bad, if it keeps us on our toes about our privacy.

I don't think I am blaming the victim so much as I am waving the Caveat Emptor banner and asking consumers to be smart about what they purchase and how they use what they purchase.

Sextortion is not a new phenomenon.  Normal people fall prey to these sorts of criminals so celebrities should expect to be targeted even more by these people. 

If Ariana Grande wants to trade dicey photos with her boo that's her business, however she needs to be mindful of her current fame and the negative aspects of being in demand.  She needs to be smart about how she creeps.

I think I am going to start a digital bodyguard business and consult celebrities on how not to have their nekkid photos strewn about the web.   I will be a billionaire by next weekend.

• Like 2

I don't think I am blaming the victim so much as I am waving the Caveat Emptor banner and asking consumers to be smart about what they purchase and how they use what they purchase.

Sextortion is not a new phenomenon.  Normal people fall prey to these sorts of criminals so celebrities should expect to be targeted even more by these people.  If Ariana Grande wants to trade dicey photos with her boo, that's her business. 

However she needs to be mindful of her current fame and the negative aspects of being in demand and be smart about how she creeps.

I think I am going to start a digital bodyguard business and consult celebrities on how not to have their nekkid photos strewn about the web.   I will be a billionaire by next weekend.

Psst, JT! *points to red font* :)

Well one of the members of 5 Seconds of Summer sent naked Snapchats of himself to a fan who captured them and posted them online. He proceed to admit they were him and then shrug it off. Now they amount of slut shaming, media outrage, and adversarial career impact that would happen if a female celeb had done the same. 

That said the internet is an incredibly insecure place and the world at large only cares when it happens on a large scale, to important people, or to themselves. The people that realize this are generally the tech savvy, people that exploit this fact, and the companies that put out insecure products. Basically a small minority that leaves the majority to be screwed.

Now they amount of slut shaming, media outrage, and adversarial career impact that would happen if a female celeb had done the same.

I don't think that anyone really cares about that sort of thing unless the female celeb in question was underaged or trying to cultivate a wholesome public persona.  Growing up Disney or being raised up Nickelodeon seems to bring out the worst in some young celebs.

I don't see much social outrage over JLaw's photos other than the usual "why did you use a smart phone?" litany.  The younger celebs like Victoria Justice and McKayla Maroney are having to defend themselves far more fiercely than someone like Kelly Cuoco or Kate Upton.

Can't speak toward attitudes toward the others, but Lawrence isn't being walked off a short pier.  She helped her cause by basically saying "Yeah it's really me, I thought I had deleted them but they're still out there in the Apple cloud."  To the point and more importantly, the honest answer.  And as JT pointed out, many of these celebs aren't painting themselves as sweet little cupcakes. 

I think Verlander is being ragged on a bit, but only because he apparently looked goofy and has something of an average body for an athlete.

Eh, I blame the victims as well.  It's stupid.  Don't be the dummy that has to take a nude picture of yourself.  Oh, it's just for you and your significant other you say? Store it on a local device you say? Guess what happens when you cheat on your significant other...they proceed to show anyone and everyone the naked pictures of you.  Guess what your significant other can do...actually see you naked.  They don't need a picture.  Stop being idiots people.  It is dumb to take a naked picture of yourself unless you consider the fact that hey, it's possible that some day this winds up in someone else's hands and then you think, "okay I'm fine with that."  Otherwise, don't do it. 

So I'm going to say it's fucked up and pretty scummy that someone hacks into someone else's shit and then posts it for others to see.  I'm also going to say you shouldn't have even had that stuff to begin with dumbass. 

Eh, I blame the victims as well.  It's stupid.  Don't be the dummy that has to take a nude picture of yourself.  Oh, it's just for you and your significant other you say? Store it on a local device you say? Guess what happens when you cheat on your significant other...they proceed to show anyone and everyone the naked pictures of you.  Guess what your significant other can do...actually see you naked.  They don't need a picture.  Stop being idiots people.  It is dumb to take a naked picture of yourself unless you consider the fact that hey, it's possible that some day this winds up in someone else's hands and then you think, "okay I'm fine with that."  Otherwise, don't do it. 

So I'm going to say it's fucked up and pretty scummy that someone hacks into someone else's shit and then posts it for others to see.  I'm also going to say you shouldn't have even had that stuff to begin with dumbass. 

Come on, man.  That hasn't happened in all the time we've been clubbing each other over our heads.  It won't stop now.

People do stupid stuff.  We all have or will.  Doesn't mean we should be taken advantage of by some doofus with no social skills and too much time on their hands.

I don't disagree with you on not taking nude photos.  I'm just not into shaming folks over stuff like this.  Shaming is the word I should have originally used.

What BLR said. Also, who are any of us to say that someone should or should not be taking pictures of themselves? People can display or not display their bodies to whomever they want. Blaming them for something someone else did IS blaming the victim, regardless of whether you like that term or not.

Similarly, I'm not a fan of the technocratic stance on things wherein people "deserve" bad things that happen to them because they don't fully understand the technology they're using. Ok, maybe Grandma with her AOL account she's had since 1998 isn't a particularly knowledgeable user, but she still doesn't deserve to have her savings ransacked just because she fell for a 419 scam.

• Like 1

I still say this entire problem would be solved if everyone over 18 on Earth just put nudes up online.

One of the girls from Glee (not Lea Michelle) was part of this. Her pictures had her decorating a Christmas tree nude. He response was to tweet, "Merry XXXmas!!!" She made me a fan immediately.

Similarly, I'm not a fan of the technocratic stance on things wherein people "deserve" bad things that happen to them because they don't fully understand the technology they're using. Ok, maybe Grandma with her AOL account she's had since 1998 isn't a particularly knowledgeable user, but she still doesn't deserve to have her savings ransacked just because she fell for a 419 scam.

At the same time, a conversation about being as safe as possible online (do we still use that word?) isn't unreasonable. 

There's two sides of the problem: the hackers and the rest of us for making more of a big deal about it beyond "Oh man, she looks good". Fight them both.

This stuff is why it's so hard to get the girl I'm dating to send me pictures.... *sigh*

At the same time, a conversation about being as safe as possible online (do we still use that word?) isn't unreasonable.

"Here's some things you can do to protect yourself" isn't unreasonable.

"You didn't do those things? Sucks to be you" is dick.