DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Yeah they were all training for using the mecha at school, and Inaho was the top student and something of a prodigy.  And that's the case for most mecha anime.  A plucky teenager has to pilot the cool robot to defend his home and loved ones and all that despite not being a truly hardened and experienced veteran soldier.  

Honestly, I don't mind Tatsuya being competent.  But it gets old after a while because literally no one seems to be a threat or challenge to him at all.

Finished off FOTNS and yeah, Raoh's final sceen was pretty damn bad ass. Can't believe they actually went out with a clip episode though.

Caught up on the last 6 eps of GARO and it continues to really great. I'd put it on par with some of the live action seasons at this point. Dunno if it's intended or not but they're doing a heck of a job making the lead heel more sympathetic than the baby faces here too. 

Dude seemed perfectly content to repeant for his sins and try and lead a normal life until they had to go and curse his children for all eternity. I'd go on a genocidal rampage as well :)

A few eps into FOTNS2 now and so far it's just business as usuall so can't tell much other than the new Opening song is a huge ass step down. The "You're in Shock" opening they used for the first 3/4 of the 1st series is one of the all time greatest op in anime. The one they used for the last arc isn't on that lvl but is still pretty good. This "fightin in the nineties" shit isn't cutting the mustard however. 

When it comes to FOTNS songs "Ai Wo Torimodose" (You Wa Shock) is the standard bearer. I love "Tough Boy" though, just... of the three opening songs it is the 3rd best. The opening that uses "Silent Survivor" though uses that great shot of Ken walking past the faces of all the dead Nanto masters (and Ryuga),. The first time I watched it I sat there in awe of how badass it looked.

James 

So, I should pull it off my queue then?

I wouldn't definitively say to pull it off.  There is a second season coming that I will check out just to see how certain things happened.  But it was a mecha series with a promising start that really just let me down big time in the second half.

The opening that uses "Silent Survivor" though uses that great shot of Ken walking past the faces of all the dead Nanto masters

Yeah, shit got real once Ken had enough dead freinds and major enemies to start being haunted by their ghost :)

The sceen where Ken is able to use the "unconcious transmigration" technique for the 1st time on Raoh is one of the more memorable moments of the entire series. 

Other random thoughts

The original creator had to be a big pro wres fan at the time he was making this. In the span of a few eps we've had (facially) people who are the spitting image of Hogan, Mr T and the Road Warriors (and this is a show with a lot of RW esc dudes), can't be a coincidence.

I'm really liking Ken's new "take no BS" attitude. Through out a lot of part 1, unless his freinds were in danger or he was being directly confronted he didn't seem to have much interest in fighting. Now in part 2 he's all gung ho "let's do this shit" and is all about just mowing through enemy bases left & right on a war path. 

JH given that it just seems to be a shorter re-telling of the tv, is there any reason for me to bother watching the FOTNS movie?

The movie is shit story wise, just a hyper compressed retelling of the story up to the first Raoh fight. But it cranks the blood up to 22, and is utterly hilarious for it. The dub (featuring a ton of Streamline regulars) is the kind of bad that produced tons of 90s meme tic wackiness. It is a must see for kitsch value; the fact that you get to see the good version (TV) first, while for most of us it was our first and only HnK exposure for years, is a bonus.

The movie can be skipped, it covers everything up to the first Raoh fight yet leaves out Toki for some reason. Its because of the movie that FOTNS/HnK was so maligned by western anime fans for so long. They thought all the show was about was a dude that made people blow up by punching them, not realizing there was a deper story with so many underlying themes. Kenshiro is basically the closest to anime version of Elric and its kinda awesome.

So what were your favorite parts from Hokuto No Ken before part 2?

Picking my favorite Hokuto No Ken fights is always a tough for me. I love Rei/Juda so much and Toki/Raoh is one of those great fights that brings out all the backstory.  Buronson and Tetsuo Hara were huge wrestling fans, Hara even went on to do the character designs for Saturday Night Slam Masters. Of coure, in a turn about is fair play way, if not for HnK Liger never would have invented the Shooting Star Press.

James

So what were your favorite parts from Hokuto No Ken before part 2?

Once the 2nd arc got going is when the show turned the corner for me, especially once it became clear Rei wasn't going to end up being Ken's enemy. That's about when the series started to become more epic then "fight random gangs of thugs who've kidnapped my girl/family/friends and or are taking over a town and being mean to the villagers".  

For me the stand outs are the "break Toki out of jail" storyline, Rei's final battles marching to his death and the war with Souther.

if not for HnK Liger never would have invented the Shooting Star Press

Really? Don't even remember that move being in the show

that's pretty sweet though

Nope, just that it's a live-ac adaptation of the original manga apparently.  Also

Deadline noted previously that Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) would direct the proposed Ghost in the Shell film off a script by William Wheeler (Hoax, The Reluctant Fundamentalist). Avi Arad (formerly of Marvel Studios as well as of the Spider-Man and X-Men movie franchises), Seaside Entertainment's Steven Paul, and Mark Sourian (The Ring Two) are producing.

Nope, just that it's a live-ac adaptation of the original manga apparently.  Also

Deadline noted previously that Rupert Sanders (Snow White and the Huntsman) would direct the proposed Ghost in the Shell film off a script by William Wheeler (Hoax, The Reluctant Fundamentalist). Avi Arad (formerly of Marvel Studios as well as of the Spider-Man and X-Men movie franchises), Seaside Entertainment's Steven Paul, and Mark Sourian (The Ring Two) are producing.

That choice of director is not confidence inducing.

K, now i'm at the point of continuing to watch this show just to see how much more ridiculous things are going to get. 

Shame cause FOTNS2 started off with a lot of good potential. I liked the first arc they did a lot though it was rushed. 

Bat & Lin being bad ass adults leading a Hokuto army instead of useless tag alongs was a pretty cool concept.

Now Bat hasn't been seen in ages, left alone to twiddle his thumbs on the beach waiting for Ken to come back and Lin has become damnsel in distress wiating to be rescued #15. 

The Land of Shura was also great on paper but the execution has gone all to hell. Instead of this mysterious land full of NOTHING but the strongest warriors alive all out to kill any outsider on sight it's become another Evil Warlord & his jobber army terrorize innocent villagers plot.

And fuck, swerves out the ass now, continuity be damned. I fully exspect the final reveal to be Lin is actually Ken's long lost mother now. 

New GITS anime movie announced.  Looks like it's a continuation of Arise.  Or rather, it is the Arise crew that is overseeing it.  Little disappointed.  Arise is my least-favorite GITS animation and does not hold a candle to SAC.