DVDVR Message Board

Managed to watch All Hail the King, the new Marvel One-Shot before it was taken down. Spoilers follow!

Trevor Slattery's in prison and interviewed by a journalist about his role as The Mandarin. Before that Trevor has a fanbase protecting him and wanting him to do the voice. During the recorded interview with the journalist, Trevor talks about his life. Turns out the interviewer is a member of The Ten Rings who breaks Trevor out to take him to The Mandarin. I enjoyed the unexpected return of Justin Hammer in jail during the credits talking about Trevor Slattery, Pepper Potts and Tony Stark. I really liked this funny Marvel One-Shot written by Drew Pearce who also co-wrote Iron Man 3 with Shane Black.

We all know The Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3 is divisive. I didn't like it because I wanted more Sir. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin from the trailers and before the reveal in the film. I liked it all: the look, the lessons and the voice. While I dislike the way they went, I still enjoy Kingsley's peformance as Trevor Slattery.

Be interested to read your views on All Hail the King when you see it.

So it's confirmed that Killian isn't The Mandarin either? What a load of shit. They got everyone hyped to see Iron Man vs The Mandarin and they didn't deliver and now they're saying, "But WAIT, here's the REAL Mandarin!". That's a terrible pro wrestling swerve by Marvel.

I've typed this up for you and this is what's said:

Trevor Slattery: "It's not The Mandarin they'll remember, it's the name Trevor Slattery. The brand. Trev."

Jackson Norris: "You're right and for that sin you will soon suffer horribly with a hole in your body for every ring off our faith"

Norriss: "Consider this a lesson in what's real and what's not...I'm not the one that's going to kill you Mr. Slattery, I'm here to break you out. You see there's somebody who wants to meet you."

Slattery: "Do I know him?"

Norriss: "No. But you took his name and now he wants it back."

I agree with what you say about it. I get the feeling this is trying to appease those who don't like the twist involving The Mandarin in Iron Man 3 while those who did can ignore this if they wish. Be interesting to see whether Marvel go with the continuity in Iron Man 3 seen by more or Hail to the King if The Mandarin is picked back up in future Marvel Studios films. If they do, it's going to be tough finding a beter Mandarin than Sir. Ben Kingsley's before you know...

In a way.. that does appease me because there's still hope that we will see a more faithful portrayal but I have to think the odds he is in a future installment are pretty slim. Is Downey Jr. even doing another solo film?

If I remember rightly, Robert Downey Jr.'s contract ended with Iron Man 3. Downey Jr. then signed a new contract for Avengers 2 which came out as Avengers: Age of Ultron at the 2013 San Diego Comic-Con and Avengers 3. Like you I tend to think the character won't return.

Managed to watch All Hail the King, the new Marvel One-Shot before it was taken down. Spoilers follow!

Trevor Slattery's in prison and interviewed by a journalist about his role as The Mandarin. Before that Trevor has a fanbase protecting him and wanting him to do the voice. During the recorded interview with the journalist, Trevor talks about his life. Turns out the interviewer is a member of The Ten Rings who breaks Trevor out to take him to The Mandarin. I enjoyed the unexpected return of Justin Hammer in jail during the credits talking about Trevor Slattery, Pepper Potts and Tony Stark. I really liked this funny Marvel One-Shot written by Drew Pearce who also co-wrote Iron Man 3 with Shane Black.

We all know The Mandarin twist in Iron Man 3 is divisive. I didn't like it because I wanted more Sir. Ben Kingsley's Mandarin from the trailers and before the reveal in the film. I liked it all: the look, the lessons and the voice. While I dislike the way they went, I still enjoy Kingsley's peformance as Trevor Slattery.

I loved the short. Trevor was one of my favorite parts of Iron Man 3 so it was good in general to see him. I was also one of the people who enjoyed the twist in Iron Man 3. The Mandarin is supposed to be a Chinese villain. It honestly would have been more fucked up to keep the character an English white man, even if it was someone awesome like Sir Kingsley. There is a definite feel of appeasement in this particular story, but I also think Marvel themselves want to leave things open for future possibilities.

• Like 1

I loved the short. Trevor was one of my favorite parts of Iron Man 3 so it was good in general to see him. I was also one of the people who enjoyed the twist in Iron Man 3. The Mandarin is supposed to be a Chinese villain. It honestly would have been more fucked up to keep the character an English white man, even if it was someone awesome like Sir Kingsley. There is a definite feel of appeasement in this particular story, but I also think Marvel themselves want to leave things open for future possibilities.

And I know Mandarin is supposed to be Chinese, but fuck if I wouldn't mark out for a Ken Wantanabe Mandarin.

• Like 1

Drew Pearce on Iron Man 3 and All Hail the King:

While there are some Iron Man fans who had a number of issues with the third entry in the film series, probably the most polarizing was the approach taken to the character of the Mandarin. This feared terrorist turned out to be a British actor named Trevor Slattery (Sir Ben Kingsley), hired as a “face” for the world by Aldrich Killian. Arrested in the film, many were left to wonder what became of Trevor. Now we know.

“All Hail the King” is a Marvel one-shot that was released on the digital download of Thor: The Dark World on February 4, 2014, and will be a part of the February 25th release of the film on Blu-ray. The short has Kingsley reprising the role of Trevor, who is being interviewed in prison by a documentary filmmaker covering the aftermath of the Mandarin situation. The short is written and directed by Drew Pearce (creator of the British sitcom No Heroics), who wrote a script based on Marvel’s Runaways, co-wrote the script for Iron Man 3 with director Shane Black, and is next working with Christopher McQuarrie on Mission: Impossible 5. In this exclusive interview, he discusses all three.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: How did this short come together and how did you end up directing it?
DREW PEARCE: I’d love to say that Kevin Feige and Louis Esposito spend every day of their life thinking, “What can we get Drew Pearce to direct for Marvel?”, but, frankly, it’s the other way around. I’ve worked with the guys on and off for four years, first on Runaways and then on Iron Man 3 and I’ve been bugging them from the very first time I met them to write and direct one of these shorts. Over the years we’ve talked about tons of different permutations, lots of different characters, very different worlds to tap into with the shorts. Which is one of the reasons they’re so exciting, of course. But then on the first day that Sir Ben was on the set of Iron Man 3, Louis and Kevin and I were eating lunch together, Kevin and I said at almost exactly the same time, “We should do a Trevor Slattery short.” I went home and wrote it in my North Carolina hotel room that night.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: And you shot it during production of Iron Man 3?
DREW PEARCE: No! You know, the best laid plans. Suddenly it didn’t happen, we were doing other things, and then out of nowhere last year…I was actually sitting down with the Marvel brain trust to work out what we should do as a one-shot for me to write and direct. It was Joss Whedon who was looking at the white board and the list of things I had up there who said, “Do you think you could actually get Sir Ben to do a Trevor short?” I said, “I don’t know. I guess if he ends up liking the script, there’s a chance because he likes the character.” Joss said, “That’s obviously one you should be doing, because you could have Sir Ben Kingsley in a short movie.” Luckily Sir Ben loved the script. I’d kept in touch with him since IRON MAN 3, so it came to pass very organically and very quickly. Suddenly Sir Ben had taken three days out of the most hectic seven movie year long schedule that he’d been shooting last year to come and muck around with me in a dis-used women’s prison on the east side of Los Angeles.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: He really seemed to have had a lot of fun doing it.
DREW PEARCE: I think it’s really interesting for principally film actors, particularly in someone like Sir Ben, who go to huge lengths and invest tons of thoughts to create a character as risky and indelible as Trevor Slattery, and they never get to revisit them. I think Sir Ben loves being Trevor and so he moved mountains to make sure he was able to do it, for which I am incredibly grateful, of course. And hopefully, I’d like to think he’s never been funnier than he is as Trevor Slattery. What’s interesting is that Trevor only appears in two scenes in Iron Man 3, it’s just Sir Ben’s performance casts a huge shadow over the movie. It’s brilliant.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: “Apology” is probably the wrong word, but is this short some sort of reaching out to the fans who were upset in the changes that were made to the character of the Mandarin as he appeared in the comics?
DREW PEARCE: It’s weird. The idea for the short was there before any of the kind of storm in a teacup following our Mandarin reveal. What’s actually interesting as well is that the evidence of the “real” Mandarin is laid out in all of the Iron Man movies, as well as all the stuff we said around the release of the movie. The 10 Rings are part of Iron Man 1, they make an appearance in deleted scenes in Iron Man 2, and we’re very specific about the fact that he’s a real guy that exists in the world. In fact, we talked about it a lot when the movie came out. There was always the sense that this term had been co-opted by Killian’s think tank. Obviously the events in the short made that even more explicit. The weird thing is I don’t have any regrets with what we did with Iron Man and I feel no reason to apologize for it. The short kind of let me join some dots that were already there. But it wasn’t the reason we did it. The reason we did it is that we wanted to play with Trevor Slattery some more.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: But you certainly know what I’m talking about in terms of the response from people, right?
DREW PEARCE: Oh, yes, totally, but I would hate for anyone to think I was apologizing for a twist that I’m deeply proud of. I feel like it would have been dishonest to Iron man 3 if we’d made Trevor the real Mandarin after all and it was a double bluff. I think where the short leads to is a more exciting place and hopefully not one that betrays the intention of Iron man 3.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: Yeah, it goes to a more exciting place that we’re never going to see.
DREW PEARCE: [laughs] Or will we?
VOICES FROM KRYPTON: Well, they certainly haven’t said that Downey’s been signed for a fourth Iron Man film, just Avengers 2 and 3.
DREW PEARCE: This is true, but who knows how the crazy world of the Marvel Cinematic Universe may unfold? I think there’s a never say never sense to every part of the MCU. We’ll see. The character that comes back in the tag of the one-shot felt like he would never appear again. I think his appearance in the one-shot reminds people that he’s in the universe and how exciting he is. Who knows? Maybe we get to see him as well.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: On the subject of Iron Man 3 - why go with the ending that you did? In The Avengers, Tony Stark is talking to Bruce Banner, stating how the shrapnel in his chest helps to define who he is. Yet in Iron Man 3, at the end you remove the thing that has defined him in a lot of ways.
DREW PEARCE: Honestly, it comes from Shane Black, the co-writer and brilliant director of Iron Man 3. His mantra going into the film was “bold strokes.” If you look at the movies of Marvel, it’s clearly a mantra for Kevin Feige as well. Ultimately we wanted Tony to feel changed by the journey in Iron Man 3 and we didn’t want it to feel as though it were just an episode. Thematically, the whole point of the movie is the idea that he’s been hiding behind the false face of Iron Man in the same way that Killian has been hiding behind the false face of the Mandarin construct that he created. In order for it to feel truly heroic, Tony had to physically be able to walk away from Iron Man so that in the future it’s a choice. Now where does that leave Joss in Age of Ultron or the writer of a fourth movie? I’ve absolutely no idea and I apologize for that, but also glory in whatever acts of invention needed to take it to the next stage. Again, that is partly your job as the writer of an Iron Man, to accidentally make it much more difficult for the next writer in.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: I suppose he can still put on the suit.
DREW PEARCE: That’s the whole thing. There are tons of different versions of Iron Man in the comic books as well. The shrapnel is obviously integral to that, but I like the heroism of a character that could walk away from what he was feeling was a responsibility, and now feels is who he is. And this was the end of a trilogy as well, so who knows if here will be an Iron Man 4? I’d like to think that Iron Man 3 doesn’t feel like the third of anything. I think it feels fresh enough to be its own thing, and one of the reasons for that is being as ballsy as you can be.

VOICES FROM KRYPTON: It was kind of interesting to see Tony Stark not be in the costume for so much of the movie.
DREW PEARCE: The thing is, that comes down to a practical thing of we’ve got one of the greatest actors of his generation – if not the greatest – why are we putting a CG mask over him? You’re really hobbling yourself if you do that on a Robert Downey, Jr. movie.

Thinking about Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it shows you how great The Winter Soldier debut look in the comics is as it's nearly the same for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I actually like the lower face cover better with or without glasses than the domino mask from the comics, that's the big difference between the two versions.

Disappointed by the implications of all this.  Basically invalidates all of Iron Man 3.

They really just say, "We can't do the actual Mandarin on film and we never will.  People would be offended by it and find it racially insensitive.  So we're just hinting that he's out there in this little 10 minute short few people will actually see."

Disappointed by the implications of all this.  Basically invalidates all of Iron Man 3.

They really just say, "We can't do the actual Mandarin on film and we never will.  People would be offended by it and find it racially insensitive.  So we're just hinting that he's out there in this little 10 minute short few people will actually see."

Come on. Act like the original comics Mandarin wasn't completely racially offensive.

It makes me happy that they came to their senses. I dont believe a word of what Pearce said. Those hints were in the previous movies because they were going to lead up to the actual Mandarin character. They did this short for no reason other than to admit that they screwed up. I accept their apology. We'll never see him though..I'm confident of that.

When they caught lightning in a bottle with the first Iron Man's post credits scene, and build the entire Avengers franchise from that, there is absolutely nothing I believe isn't carefully planned out and considered. I think they left Iron Man 3 so ambiguous across the board so that they could go either way with Stark as Iron Man, and Killian as the "Mandarin" so they could tweak as needed down the road. If the audiences shit on things, we go with A, and if they don't we go with B. I'm more curious what the B one shot would've been had the crowds been more accepting of the way things were at the end of IM3.

Come on. Act like the original comics Mandarin wasn't completely racially offensive.

Listen, if Luke Cage can grow beyond that, so can The Mandarin.  

I was just about to post something along those same lines. With Arrow the change in quality had an obvious starting point (when Drew Greenberg was brought on to run the show) but SHIELD has kinda suddenly morphed into the show it should have been all along. They've really put together an awesome run these last 3-4 episodes to where I'm now optimistic about the direction of the show going forward.

I'm all for slow builds but I think having to do 22-24 eps really made them drag some shit out waaaaayy longer than they should have for the casual fans and as a result we had that pointless first couple months.

Hopefully, they elevate Deathlok to a regular or at least semi-regular next season. Not to be That Internet Guy but I called Mike's eventual transformation all the way back in September. Between that an my Jessica Drew/Skye prediction gaining some momentum with the revelation of her backstory and this week's events, I think the "Why don't they use any established D-list MU characters on the show?" criticism will soon be put the bed.

• Like 1

SHIELD seemed to listen to the critisim from the initial order and fixed the problems during production of the back order.  its feeling way more like a serious group of SHIELD agents doing backdrop work instead of a Joss Whedon tribute band doing Marvel instead of Buffy.

• Like 1

C'mon Winter Soldier poster!

Variety is reporting that Paul Bettany will be playing Vision in Avengers 2.

So more cast additions in Avengers: Age of Ultron to Avengers Assemble. Big cast. Hope Joss Whedon can pull everything off as well as he did in the first Avengers film.