DVDVR Message Board

April 2014 Football Thread

The Natural

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola has joked he may have been offered the Manchester United job at a dinner with Sir Alex Ferguson but that he could not fully understand the Scotsman's accent.

Guardiola was heavily tipped to move to Old Trafford when Sir Alex eventually retired but instead surprised many by announcing his intention to join the Bavarian giant in January of 2013.

Now, as he prepares his side for its Champions League quarterfinal clash with David Moyes' men, he has revealed that he may have been asked to succeed the Scot – but that his poor English led to him misunderstanding the 72-year-old.

"He invited me to a super restaurant," the Bayern coach told reporters at his pre-match press conference. "We had a very good time but my English is not so good, so when Sir Alex spoke quickly I didn't understand him. Maybe I didn't understand if I received an offer or not!"

I want to believe this SO BADLY.

• Like 2

I was switching between an English and a German broadcast of Utd. vs Bayern. Stayed with the Germans up until 30 mins in, it said Bayern had 7 shots while having 4 shots on target. Now the brits are talking at halftime and claim Bayern had 12 shots while only 1 on target. Where did the 3 other shots go? Are there different rules to what is on target in the respective countries? Questions like those keep me up at night!

Vidic with the nice header puts United ahead of Bayern 1-0 in the 58'.  Bayern looks like an incredible side but United has packed in the defense and played very well on that side of the ball.  Kagawa has totally changed how United is playing with his speed along side of Welbeck.

Passes completed: 543 Bayern -146 United 

That is at the 64' mark.  That is insane how good Bayern is at keeping possession.  

Schweinsteiger with the equalizer off some very quick passes in the box in the 67'.  

The fact that they put on guys like Mandzukic and Götze after 70 minutes is menacing enough. Lewandowski is such an addition to the roster. Other clubs can only hope some of the players feel saturated after two really good years. United is doing fantastic in this game, but they almost look like every other team Bayern played in the Bundesliga this season. They see close to nothing of the ball and run like crazy, have their chances on breaks sometimes, but overall seemed to score only because Bayern looked a little lazy and very unconcentrated on a set piece.

Bayern down to 10 men as Schweinsteiger is sent off with his second yellow.  It's in the 92' minute now, so not much hope for this game but the fact that he won't be in the next game is tough for Bayern but they look so talented they may not miss him.