DVDVR Message Board

What are you reading?

Shane

We Need to Talk to About Kevin: OK, first up, this is undoubtedly a great novel. Well-realized, wonderfully-written, good characters, strikingly true at points, etc.

My main problem? The whole "Nature vs. Nurture" ambiguity that is the prevailing theme doesn't hold water because, you know, I'm not convinced she was ever that bad a mother. At least not to the extent you could ever consider it justifies what he did.  Cold, snobby, aloof and distant? Sure. But she still provided him with everything he needed, tried her best and gave him a frigging mansion to live in. And he had a doting, if dimwitted, father and a loving kid sister. That's more than many kids have and they don't murder a bunch of people.

Maybe if the mom was a drunk or a drug addict or constantly hitting him, "Nature vs. Nurture" would be an issue. But she wasn't. 

Basically: That kid was an evil little shit to begin with and it's not that ambiguous at all. In that respect, this book fails.   

Read the NWA book(hornbaker), thoughts on that in the wrestling book thread. Read Jericho's 2nd book(basically the same as everybody else). Read Lizz WInstead's book, very solid, funny and moving. Also Andrew Dice Clay's book, not bad, not great, wouldn't recommend going out of your way to get it unless your a fan. Just finished the Kid stays in the picture by Robert Evans. Great Fucking book. I realize that's not a news flash,l but I got an updated version for Christmas, and it kicks a ton of ass. Opinions on most movie stars from the 60's to the early 80's and some more recent ones as well. He tears Francis Coppola a new asshole at points, mainly about his editing skills and assuming he's telling the truth, it would explain alot about Godfather III and other movies. A must read, assuming you haven't already. . . oh and these are all in the last two weeks. I have a TON of time to read as a substitute teacher.

Currently reading a range of different books, but the main one is 'The Princess Bride'.

I need some advice on my next read also - do I go with Kafka 'The Castle', 'The Sound and The Fury' by Faulkner or 'All Quiet on the Western Front'?

The Castle has been on my 'to read' pile for about... three years - there just always seems to be a better choice as my next read haha. Having visited the Kafka museum in Prague, I got the distinct impression that Kafka's whole ouevre is based on one bad experience with the tax office

Currently reading a range of different books, but the main one is 'The Princess Bride'.

I need some advice on my next read also - do I go with Kafka 'The Castle', 'The Sound and The Fury' by Faulkner or 'All Quiet on the Western Front'?

The Castle has been on my 'to read' pile for about... three years - there just always seems to be a better choice as my next read haha. Having visited the Kafka museum in Prague, I got the distinct impression that Kafka's whole ouevre is based on one bad experience with the tax office

I started 'The Sound and the Fury'. Man that book is difficult.

The Sound and The Fury is a walk in the park compared to Absalom Absalom. I'd suggest As I Lay Dying, personally. Shorter, with a very compelling, action-oriented plot, but still rife with Faulkner's stream of conciousness style.

I've heard James Joyce is a bitch too. I don't read fiction much, as I just prefer non-fiction. When I do read fiction it tends to be easy stuff like Pratchett or Hiaasen. Whimpy I know, but i tend to read thick history books, and go to fiction for a brain pallet cleanser. . . .

Faulkner and Joyce are gaping holes in my library but everytime I've attempted one of their books they don't stick. As a university graduate of English and American Literature I feel that I've failed academia *goes back to reading James Ellroy*

Allow me to let the rabbit out of the hat... If you read "A Rose for Emily" that's really all the Faulkner that you'll ever need.

As for Joyce, if you have a spare twenty years, give Finnegan's Wake a go.  Normally I'd get all smug and say "It's an Irish thing, you wouldn't understand.", but I'm Irish as fuck and I can't make head nor tails out of it. At least with Ulysses it's reasonably clear what's going on. Joyce is guilty of the worst authorial sin, forgetting that good writing is communicating with your audience, not showing off how bloody clever you think you are. The English language is a rich one filled with nuance and variety, there's no need to invent new words at the drop of a hat just because you think you're smarter than everyone else. 

• Like 2

I've managed to get through a couple of Joyce's short stories, but his novels are absolutely fucking incomprehensible. Every couple of years, I pull out my copy of Ulysses and try to read it again. Every single time, I quit within two or three pages. Fuck a buncha that. It's like trying to read any of Mark Z. Danielewski's non-House of Leaves books, it's just way way WAY more effort than it's worth. EDIT: and oh yeah, I've had "A Rose for Emily" at least a couple of times in school, it's good stuff.

Right now I'm reading "And sometimes I wonder about you" by Walter Moseley, but I'm like five pages in. But I just read:

Wild Cards VII: Dead Man's Hand (good, but I should have read 6 right before because they're linked)

Warriors of the Storm by Bernard Cornwell (feels a bit short, and the Uhtred books are pretty repetetive really)

The Hate Game by Ben Dirs (about Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn. Made me want to rewatch the fights more than anything... did establish that neither of them ever was really the man at Middleweight or Super-Middle, which people chose to ignore at the time. Completely forgot that Eubank hung around long enough to lose to Calzaghe).

Tales from the Secret Footballer by Dave Kitson The Secret Footballer, which is insightful about Football at the Premier league (and other) levels, and then suddenly veers into a philosophical examination of depression and parenthoood and why you should stay on your meds at all times. It's odd because some of it is hilarious, and then at the end suddenly it's soul bearing from out of nowhere.

I would never willingly encourage anyone to read Faulkner, esp that one.

I find large swathes incomprehensible, yet then am swept along by a section that just engages me. A strange read for sure.

Right now I'm reading "And sometimes I wonder about you" by Walter Moseley, but I'm like five pages in. But I just read:

Wild Cards VII: Dead Man's Hand (good, but I should have read 6 right before because they're linked)

Warriors of the Storm by Bernard Cornwell (feels a bit short, and the Uhtred books are pretty repetetive really)

The Hate Game by Ben Dirs (about Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn. Made me want to rewatch the fights more than anything... did establish that neither of them ever was really the man at Middleweight or Super-Middle, which people chose to ignore at the time. Completely forgot that Eubank hung around long enough to lose to Calzaghe).

Tales from the Secret Footballer by Dave Kitson The Secret Footballer, which is insightful about Football at the Premier league (and other) levels, and then suddenly veers into a philosophical examination of depression and parenthoood and why you should stay on your meds at all times. It's odd because some of it is hilarious, and then at the end suddenly it's soul bearing from out of nowhere.

I didn't know it was Dave Kitson. Cool.

I also really enjoyed 'The Hate Game'.

It's not 100% it's Kitson (it's like 99.5%, although it's also fairly likely that a few of the later columns are ghost written by his mates), but the Secret Footballer's stories are actually more interesting when you know the team he used to play for that was claiming bankruptcy was Portsmouth, or the former manager who was badmouthing him around the league was Tony Pulis.

• 1 month later...

I'm right now in the middle of "Eyrie" by Tim Winton. At first, I found it difficult getting used to the Australian dialect, but once I got the hang of it, the book has flowed smoothly.

It's about an unemployed former spokesperson for an environmental activist group. He's middle aged, divorced, depressed, and pretty relatable. The book turns when he runs into somebody from his past that he hadn't seen in twenty years.

I haven't read many Australian books, but this seems like a good one.

I just finished Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil All The Time. Pretty fucked up, although without being graphic. It was pretty good and it held my attention throughout, but it was also one of those books that made you think, 'What's the point?' at the end, although perhaps that's not a good question to ask. It was an enjoyable and intriguing ride, although at the same time pretty depressing in a very visceral way too.

Currently doing the Infinite Winter project, trying to read Infinite Jest. Almost a third of the way into it. The story is confusing (as to be expected), but I've always enjoyed Foster Wallace's writing.

I also am about to start reading a range of Booker Prize winners, so going to read 'Something to Answer for' at some point soon.

I've only read 3 Booker Prize winners:  Sacred Hunger (1992), True History of the Kelly Gang (2001), & Wolf Hall (2008).

But the 2014 & 2015 winners are on my to read list:  The Narrow Road to the Deep North and A Brief History of Seven Killings.

Just started So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson. Before that, I read Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell (nothing like the show version, actually. Very different story... and one of the last ones where Sharpe is still a black-haired Londoner ;)) My Fight Your Fight by Ronda Rousey (she seems to have terrible taste in men, and for someone being made into a feminist icon she really doesn't do anything for the sisterhood of women) and Railsea by China Mieville, which I didn't like as much as I wanted to.

• Like 1

Doing a baseball run after some more serious reading(and some not so much) in February. For the record read a Jefferson bio by Jon Meacum(B+), The huge Alexander Hamilton bio by Ron Chernow(A) and a book about Aaron burr by David Stewart(B-). Then read in short order, Patton oswalt's movie book, Mamrie Hart's book and one of Heather Mcdonald's, for some pallet cleaners. 

This month, have read a christy mathewson bio by Ray Robinson. It was in that dry, semi-newspaper style, not great(C+), though someone else might like that style better. Currently reading a bio of Lou Gerhig, which is MUCH better. Bio's of Mantle, Maris, Clemente and Steinbrenner to come. Ought be done by April, easy. 14 books for the year so far. . . .

I've only read 3 Booker Prize winners: Sacred Hunger (1992), True History of the Kelly Gang (2001), & Wolf Hall (2008).

But the 2014 & 2015 winners are on my to read list: The Narrow Road to the Deep North and A Brief History of Seven Killings.

I've read Life of Pi, A Sense of an Ending, Disgrace and Hotel Du Lac. Might be a couple more. I own the two on your to-read list, and several others I've picked up from charity shops.

Just started So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson. Before that, I read Sharpe's Rifles by Bernard Cornwell (nothing like the show version, actually. Very different story... and one of the last ones where Sharpe is still a black-haired Londoner ;)) My Fight Your Fight by Ronda Rousey (she seems to have terrible taste in men, and for someone being made into a feminist icon she really doesn't do anything for the sisterhood of women) and Railsea by China Mieville, which I didn't like as much as I wanted to.

Ronda Rousey is secretly a misogynist.  I don't know if people just aren't paying attention, or they are giving her a pass because she gets punched in the face for a living, but she strikes me as someone who doesn't respect women at all.