DVDVR Message Board

What are you reading?

Shane

Just started So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson.

Hope you enjoy this. It was easily my favorite nonfiction book of 2015, and got me started reading everything I can by Ronson.

Yeah, a really good book, and Ronson stuff is generally well worth a read.

Just finished the fifth installment of Jay Bonansinga's "Walking Dead" spinoff, about the survivors of Woodbury after the fall of The Governor. Invasion is the follow-up to Descent, and our survivors have to deal with a crazy-ass preacher intent on ensuring this truly is The End of Days. Some good stuff.

Just finishing up Stephen King's Wolves of The Calla, which my youngest bought for me for Christmas: even though it's Book 5 of "The Dark Tower," it was fun to jump back in the middle of that story after all these years. Also reading Patrick deWitt's first novel, Ablutions, which is an amazing look into the lives of drunks. Working as a bouncer, I can't get enough of novels about drunks (Dan Fante is my personal fave), and this one really speaks to me. 

Need to get back into the habit of reading. I've gotten bad about letting aimlessly dicking around online take up too much of that time.

Started Prime by Chris Kluew and Andrew Reiner a few days ago. The characters are a little one dimensional at the moment, but the science is good and the overall premise is good.

• Like 1

Reading the EDGE bio. Got it for free. Once it is done a friend just published her first novel. She described it as "Modern Romance set in the ghettos of Mid-Mississippi". Not something I would normally read. But it is only 106 pages so unless it is just flat out shit I can have it read in a few hours.

I just finished Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil All The Time. Pretty fucked up, although without being graphic. It was pretty good and it held my attention throughout, but it was also one of those books that made you think, 'What's the point?' at the end, although perhaps that's not a good question to ask. It was an enjoyable and intriguing ride, although at the same time pretty depressing in a very visceral way too.

Heh-heh, I was waiting to see what you would think of it... Considering that I write horror fiction for a living and regularly go to the most fucked-up places the human mind can conjure and that I found this book disturbing on many levels, I was very interested to see what a reader with a more "normal" perspective would think of it. Yeah, it's pretty fucked up, I can't wait to see what Pollock does next. Ohio is nowhere near the South, but this book is one of the greatest Southern Gothics ever written. Reading this followed by Tom Franklin's Poachers can really fuck your head up.

Just saw that July will see the publication of The Heavenly Table, the new novel by Donald Ray Pollock... I can't wait...

I'm up to the formation of the National Wrestling Alliance in Capitol Revolution, and this has been an absolutely captivating read for someone like me.  I've read complaints that there's too much back story into the industry but I'm eating it up Garfield-style. 

I never knew most of the details of the era and, in a way, it's kind of heartening to see that the wrestling business' backstage bullshit has not changed in nearly one hundred years.

• Like 2

I'm up to the formation of the National Wrestling Alliance in Capitol Revolution, and this has been an absolutely captivating read for someone like me.  I've read complaints that there's too much back story into the industry but I'm eating it up Garfield-style. 

I never knew most of the details of the era and, in a way, it's kind of heartening to see that the wrestling business' backstage bullshit has not changed in nearly one hundred years.

I just picked this up a few weeks ago, and it's next in line for me to read...

I finished So you've been publicly shamed a few days ago (it's very readable, but it's also pretty bloody short), so now I'm reading Sharpe's Company (the library was doing a promotion on historical war fiction). It's the Forlorn Hope one. The siege of Badajoz* hasn't even started yet and it's already bloodier than the show was.

* It's wierd seeing it spelt, because in the show they were all pronouncing it Badderhoff which made me wonder why they were in Germany all of a sudden. But that's Spanish Spanish** pronunciation.

** ie, not Mexican Spanish. There are pronounced distinctions... someone from Spain once told me Mexican Spanish sounds like two dogs barking. He was a bit of a snob though.

Finished up Capitol Revolution and it was fantastic from start to finish.  I intend to read through it a second time soon to pick up any details I missed the first time.  It ends at the perfect point - Hogan over the Iron Sheik in 1984.

What I like is that the book didn't spend a lot of time trying to paint certain people in a better light than ours - to me, it seemed to be a pretty fair chronicle of what happened in those days. 

Started Prime by Chris Kluew and Andrew Reiner a few days ago. The characters are a little one dimensional at the moment, but the science is good and the overall premise is good.

Finished this up yesterday. The characterization really never got better but the story did. Lots of promise for the sequel which Kluwe has said is on the way. Would recommend.

I'm reading Out Stealing Horses by Pet Petterson. Some of it really hits close to home.

‘He is just sitting there, and I can see he misses his father, quite simply and straightforwardly, and I would wish it was as easy as that, that you could just miss your father, and that was all there was to it.’

‘People like it when you tell them things, in suitable portions, in a modest, intimate tone, and they think they know you, but they do not, they know about you, for what they are let in on are facts, not feelings, not what your opinion is about anything at all, not how what has happened to you and how all the decisions you have made have turned you into who you are. What they do is they fill in with their own feelings and opinions and assumptions, and they compose a new life which has precious little to do with yours, and that lets you off the hook. No one can touch you unless you yourself want them to. You only have to be polite and smile and keep paranoid thoughts at bay, because they will talk about you no matter how much you squirm, it is inevitable, and you would do the same thing yourself.’

So as I was finishing Ablutions by Patrick deWitt, the chef at our pub asked me if I read any Bukowski and I said I had not. He was stunned, considering the stuff I like to read, and lent me Women. It is currently blowing me away, and I am kicking myself for never reading any Bukowski until now.

Got my copy of Gotham Academy Vol. 1 today. Love the characters, love the art... I just love the whole package. I especially love that it gave us a more classic Killer Croc and not the post Hush mutated form.

James

Just finished Soulless by Gail Carriger - it's a Victorian England novel about a Universe where Vampires and Werewolves are openly a part of society (they claim that the reason the British Empire ended up conquering so much of the world was the fact that Queen Victoria had immortal advisors who knew a lot about stuff). The twist is that to become immortal you need to have excessive amounts of soul, otherwise you die in the turn. But some people are born with no souls, and they cancel out the Supernatural abilities of anyone they touch. Which is original.

The actual story is very Victoriana comedy of manners "Oh my reputation", which I wasn't too into. But I'll still read the sequel probably.

I also read Secret Footballer: Access All Areas, and he's really not making any effort to hide his identity any more. He tells the story of how in an away game at West Ham, the striker got sent off (immediately after conceding a goal) for slapping the defender and team captain, and that was the last time the Captain played for the club. Pretty sure that only happened once in Football history, and it was when Stoke City were playing there in December 2008. Which really narrows down who it could possibly be.

It's Dave Kitson.

I'm reading "The Bees" by Laline Paull.  It's an adventure novel about a worker bee.  The main character is born into the lowest caste within bee society, and through different circumstances, she is able to different parts of the hive that a bee of her class would normally be banned from entering.

It's an interesting slant on the fairy tale.

I'm about halfway through Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff.  It's got a kind of inspired gimmick: rework Lovecraft-style horror stories to a setting where the protagonists are mostly fans of HP's writing... and they're all black people in the 1950s, who have to deal with a very different style of horror every day.  It's pretty interesting.  Honestly, the horror parts are the weakest bits; the most compelling stuff is just dealing with the harsh realities of living under Jim Crow laws.