DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2014 & Beyond)

RIPPA

The cost are $29.99 - so, yeah - it's an amazing deal if you happen to not own either game in the bundle

Or you could be like me and own a game in each bundle and be boned

Those get a big "meh" from me.  I've already gotten Bioshock and Borderlands 2 for free from PS+.  The other games were already $29.99 but easily found for a lot less.  Just doesn't seem like a particularly great deal.

Wow, um, like, every JRPG they released for it.  Both Metroid's (Fusion and Zero Mission), um... the Pokemon games...

Shit, just like the SNES might be the greatest console ever, the GBA might've been the greatest handheld ever.

GBA games what are awesome that don't really get brought up:

MOTHER 3

hahaha just kidding they'll never release this*. it's probably the best RPG ever, though, because it is both a story written with thought and told with prose, as well as being a Video Game You Can Play, a key feature many RPGs lack.

ASTRO BOY: OMEGA FACTOR

FACT: Treasure released the best action games every year from 1993-1998. In order: Gunstar Heroes, Dynamite Headdy, Alien Soldier, Guardian Heroes, Mischief Makers, and Radiant Silvergun. They missed 1999, but made up for it in 2000 with both Bangai-O and Sin & Punishment. They missed 2001, but made up for it with Ikaruga in 2002, simultaneously inventing and murdering bullet hell.

FACT: Dr. Frankenstein envies Treasure.

FACT: Treasure was the best at side-scrolling action games. Look up there again.

FACT: The GBA was really, really good at doing super crisp 2D action games.

FACT: Astro Boy is a weird setting.

FACT: Astro Boy: Omega Factor is a 2D action game from Treasure on the Game Boy Advance.

FACT: Astro Boy is even better than the sum of all prior facts, mostly because in between beating the unholy fuck out of everything, there's a lot of story. You are rewarded for caring about that story, for if you catch on to subtle nuances you can make new branches in the story appear, and then beat up more things, which then makes you better at beating things up.

FACT: Everything Treasure made after Astro Boy: Omega Factor is kind of garbage, except for that one Bangai-O game on the DS. The one with the mapmaker mode that generated maps from sound files that you played into the microphone of the DS. That game was alright.

FACT: Everyone should play Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

MARIO GOLF: WHATEVER THE SUBTITLE WAS

There's one key difference between the GBA game and the Gamecube game, and probably that new one they're making too: hitting the golf ball feels REALLY satisfying. The tiny speaker threatens to tear apart as you wind up, and then there's an enormous explosion of sprite effects when you hit the ball. This is enough to justify playing all of this game, if you feel like you want to play a golf game.

NINJA FIVE-O

I know, having sweet ninja powers you can only use to help pigs is like winning infinite food and permanent comfortable shelter for breaking your mother's nose in front of your father without ever being able to tell them why you did it. Stick with me. For one you can jump around like a ninja. Pretty awesome. For two, you get a grappling hook that is also a chain. This is important because chains are cooler than ropes, and because you can use this in combination with your ninja jumping powers to do insane ninja bullshit. For three, you never actually interact with any cops, only goons and hostages. So you just do their job for them. For four, when you upgrade your ninja stars, it goes from a ninja star to three spreading fireballs to a railgun. If you are good, you throw like a railgun, while ninja sliding into giant grappling hook jumps. For five, the game is called Ninja Five-O. Play Ninja Five-O.

WARIOWARE

This could just be a DVDVRMB thing, or this could just be a "i've had two concussions" thing, but I never see anyone bring up Warioware when talking about good games for the GBA. Even if Warioware isn't the Best Game, it's certainly the Most Game. It's brilliant that the main menu is a tree, because as it grows it becomes Even More Game for you to pick the fruits off of and just play for hours and hours. See the story. Fly paper airplanes. Play that weird shoot out game. Play one microgame until you will never get it wrong again if it pops up in a stage you want to replay. Play the stages until you get all the microgames. Let Wario's mad laugh fill the air for hours, wherever you go.

WARIOWARE: TWISTED
I don't think this will come out either, but seriously how hard would it be to let people use the Wii remote to simulate the gyroscope. That doesn't seem like too dramatic of a fix. Plus playing it on a TV would solve the "tilt this thing you're looking at" problem.

THE TWO CASTLEVANIA GAMES THAT DON'T HAVE THAT SOMA CRUZ GUY
He sucks, and so does Metroidvania. You know what's better than Metroidvania? Metroid. The two Castlevania games without Soma Cruz are basically just Metroid with magic spells and a weapon that has an actual justification for being short range. Why would you make an arm cannon that only shoots ten feet in front of you. Why would you buy that arm cannon. Why do I have to use it. This sucks. I wish I had something tangible, like a whip. Castlevania's 2D Sprite Whip still feels totally great to use. It's the one thing they've reliably not fucked up through the years of letting Castlevania keep happening. The whip in the 3D games feels like a suggestion, when whips are made for orders. Order the death of skeletons with Castlevania: The First One On GBA and Castlevania: The Other One On GBA

*seriously, never. the story is so bleak and the ending is traumatic, but it has just the prettiest, nicest cartoon art. MOTHER 3 is a good game to ruin a child's life with.

• Like 1

That's a lot information. I'll have to look out for some of those games, when they come to the Virtual Console.

I never was much of a handheld gamer. I only had the original GameBoy, the GameBoy Color and the NDS, but don't have much games for either of those systems.

IGN had a 2 l-hour live stream of Titanfall and for me it went from "that's a decent looking shooter, but probably not for me" to "Holy fuck! I gotta get that immediately!"

Also they had a couple short videos of Evolve and that game still looks great.

The Evil Within finally has a release date of August 26th, 2014. A bit 'sent to die'-ish (no pun intended), but Mikami + RE4 gameplay + next-gen console version = INSTA BUY for me.

100% agree. Seems as if Mikami heard the complaints about Resident Evil 5 & 6 and decided he'd make the game Capcom wasn't interested in making.

Ok, am I the only one looking forward to the new Stryder coming out on Tuesday?

Nope since I heard somebody compare it to Shadow Complex and that means I am first in line because that game was so fucking great.

I can't believe Titanfall is so close to release. First game where I'm getting that itch to get a next gen system.

Yeah, same here. Giant Bomb's coverage of it made it seem like the mechanics are so effortless, it's going to be so easy to jump in and start wrecking dudes. I'm a maps kind of guy when it comes to online shooters so if they're well-made and plentiful, I'll be jumping to next-gen sooner rather than later.

My concern about Titanfall is for folks like me who are really late in joining in. Considering that it's being published by EA, I'm concerned that EA will pull the plug on Titanfall's servers at any point. I'm hoping that there are some private server options available at launch, but I haven't heard anything about them.