DVDVR Message Board

2014 UPCOMING MOVIES/CASTING/TERRIBLE PROJECTS...

RIPPA

That looks terrible, but it could be kind of cute in a throwaway date movie kind of way. And has anyone noticed that Cyclops plays the same character in all of these movies, and I think that started with 27 Dresses.

Am I confused, or is THE MONUMENTS MEN not the screwball comedy I am expecting?  All the TV spots I've seen are painting it as 1000% action-adventure, but then you've got a main cast that's well into at least their 50s.  Are they just trying to rebrand in hopes that teens will go see it, now that it missed its original Christmas release?

Will it be as disappointing as GRUDGE MATCH was to those who went looking for a straight up comedy?

Yeah, it's weird. The early commercials played it up as a quirky adventure story, but the latest marketing campaign has changed the tone completely. My guess is that the film is more like the early ads, but the studio has no faith in it, so they're trying to sucker in the crowd that's into military action films and just made LONE SURVIVOR a big hit.

Something about the trailers and TV spots doesn't excite me at all. It just looks like a pedestrian movie, but with an all-star cast. At least with American Hustle and The Wolf of Wall Street, the impetus for the movie goer was much more obvious. With Grudge Match, you had Rocky Balboa vs. Jake LaMotta plus the hottest comedian today. The Monuments Men is a bunch old dudes and sorta old Matt Damon go look for some lost art the Nazis stole or something and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Am I confused, or is THE MONUMENTS MEN not the screwball comedy I am expecting?  All the TV spots I've seen are painting it as 1000% action-adventure, but then you've got a main cast that's well into at least their 50s.  Are they just trying to rebrand in hopes that teens will go see it, now that it missed its original Christmas release?

Will it be as disappointing as GRUDGE MATCH was to those who went looking for a straight up comedy?

Well, George Clooney (who is directing it) seems to be completely baffled by the film, as well.  If anyone saw the trailer that debuted in the fall, it put emphasis on the rag-tag group of old soldiers (Murray, Goodman and Balaban, especially) struggling along.  But, then, in an interview, Clooney said he struggled with the tone of the movie in editing, and suddenly a new trailer comes out that de-emphasizes the former three actors and puts a heavy emphasis on Matt Damon and Cate Blanchett (Who I don't even really remember SEEING in the earlier trailer) so I'm guessing at some point Clooney said "Hmm, maybe this shouldn't be funny..."  Anyways, the fact that it's coming out in February and not during Oscar season should be a heavy hint that this is probably not going to be very good.

I also thought it was weird that they decided to push Monuments Men back from its December 18th slot, at the end of October. That feels like it was cutting it kind of close, and to avoid other Oscar contenders makes it sound like it may not be that good. 

I'm still waiting and seeing. Just because the studios are being schizo about how to advertise doesn't mean the movie is bad.

Quentin Tarantino has shelved The Hateful Eight.  The script leaked yesterday when either Bruce Dern or Michael Madsen's agents let it get out.  

He's going to publish it as a book and "maybe revisit it in about 5 years."   Fucking boo.

I'm more disappointed that she's not pulling a Charlize Theron by wearing tighter, and more revealing outfits as the live-action version of Maleficent.

Well, she's had surgery that might leave her not wanting to be too revealing.  She ain't Lara Croft anymore...

Apparently this Halloween costume is based on Michelangelo from the new live-action TMNT movie...

turtle-costume-600x1158.jpg?9098e0

Either he's got his old California surfer dude attitude, or what I'm now fearing is a Jersey Shore make-over.

• Like 1