DVDVR Message Board

Guest The Magnificent 7

I just remembered how close we were to a George Miller Justice League movie and I'm disappointed all over again.

The Mad Max: Fury Road stunt coordinator Guy Norris is working on Suicide Squad so there's that. 

Where does this fall in the Mad Max timeline? 

Oh, and Zoe Kravitz.  She's nearly as beautiful as the cinematography.

Truthfully, two-thirds of the original trilogy is rather overhyped and hasn't aged very well. Mad Max has a really low budget, a contrived plot which lurches from act to act with little rhyme or reason, and some of the worst-recorded dialogue in history (it's seriously damn near impossible to tell what they're saying half the time)

Then how come I can quote nearly every line in the film verbatim? Sorry, but Mad Max rules and your opinion is wrong.

Saw it again today (as jersey traffic was too horiible to make it to Far from the Maddening Crowd)

Post film discussion topic... Was Hardy doing Mel Gibson mannerisms, like the ticks and what not, or just playing Max as unstable?

I didn't interpret it as a reboot at all. I think the "timeline" is just that Max is a figure like, say, Conan, who had all different kinds of adventures.

Mad Max is great and I wouldn't call Thunderdome "overhyped" because no one hypes it.

I believe I read somewhere that Miller said this was set after THUNDERDOME.

I think the idea behind Max's character/Hardy's performance is that he's been living in isolation ever since, so he's gone a little feral. That explains why his people skills have degraded to basically nil and why, in the rare moment when he actually speaks, it's in a barely decipherable mumble. He hasn't used his voice with any regularity in years.

Probably the clearest line Max speaks to another person in the whole movie is when he finally tells Furiousa his name at the end. I feel like that's significant.

• Like 1

Then how come I can quote nearly every line in the film verbatim?

Well, good on ya, mate. But I all too often found the dialogue so incomprehensible that it literally doesn't sound like they're speaking English. Like that psycho gang couple in the car in the movie's first chase, half their lines are shrieked at such a ridiculously histrionic level that it sounded more like dogs howling than humans talking. And between the thick Aussie accents, the muffled micro-budget sound recording, and what's either local slang and/or scripted pseudo-futuristic jargon which result in a lot of words which just plain sound made-up and meaningless... yeah, I spent a LOT of time during Mad Max just wondering what the fuck was going on.

It certainly didn't help that the DVD which I watched had no English subtitle track, which is usually my go-to trick for comprehending difficult dialogue (it works for everything from foreign accents to Shakespeare). Why do DVD distributors ever release anything without an "English for the hard of hearing" subtitle track, anyway? By doing so, you're automatically cutting out millions and millions of possible buyers who don't hear very well and now won't own your movie because they have no idea what your characters are saying. Yet it happens all the time, I'd say one-quarter to one-third of DVDs have no subs like that.

I don't want to argue or say you're "wrong" necessarily, but I've never had any trouble with the dialogue in that film.  I'm not an expert on the subject, so maybe there's some shoddy soundwork going on, but it sounds fine to my ears.

Maybe Jingus just has a hard time with Aussie accents? I mean I did grow up on the American (let's not call it English, it was American accents all around except for the train conductor who they strangely didn't dub) dubbed VHS of it but after being exposed to the Aussie dub I wasn't taken aback. 

Nightrider1.jpg

"HEY BRONZE, YOU SEE ME MAAAAAAAAN? I AM THE NIGHT RIDER. I'M A FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE. I AM A ROCKER, I AM A ROLLER, I AM AN OUT-OF-CONTROLLAHHHHH! I'M THE NIGHT RIDER BABY! I'M A HOTTA THAN A ROLLIN' DICE! STEP UP CHUM, AND WATCH THE KID RIDE THE RUBBER ROAD TO FREEEEEEEDOOOOOOM!!!"

Come on, that shit is the best.

• Like 1

I finally got to the theater last night. Fury Road is a joy to behold. It's like looking at something that shouldn't exist. This could have easily been a Jodorowsky's Dune or Gilliam's Don Quixote situation, but Miller pulled it off. It's an experience. I want to go back to the theater right now and do it again. I can't say that about any of the comic property or event pictures in recent memory, even the ones I really enjoyed. I was gleefully giggling at the screen several times, and my wife, who hasn't seen the Max movies but was excited for it, looked over at me perplexed. The abject insanity of some of the stuff at the Citadel in the beginning had her kind of lost, but by the final chase she was giggling too. I liked Hardy's Max quite a bit, and Charlize Theron is a bad motherfucker, both on and off the screen. How many A-list movie stars would go out into the desert for months without a complete script and deal with the craziness of that kind of production, and then be able to commit that performance?

Also, Miller has announced the next one will be called Mad Max: The Wasteland.

• Like 1

Maybe Jingus just has a hard time with Aussie accents? I mean I did grow up on the American (let's not call it English, it was American accents all around except for the train conductor who they strangely didn't dub) dubbed VHS of it but after being exposed to the Aussie dub I wasn't taken aback.

I didn't have a hard time with The Road Warrior or Beyond Thunderdome, nor with Picnic at Hanging Rock or various other Aussie films, so I doubt it's just the accents in Mad Max's case.  But I've never seen the American-dubbed version, and I think it's kinda telling that they felt like they needed to release it like that in the first place.  

Admittedly, I do have some difficulty with being able to make out what anyone is saying.  Background noise is especially a problem for me, as is recorded dialogue which isn't terribly well-mixed with the rest of the stuff on the soundtrack.  (I'm the world's worst at being able to parse out song lyrics, I hear them as the wrong words or just as unintelligible babbling half the time.)  The problem is noticeably getting worse as I get older, which is rather worrisome.

Heh, I'd rather have that than my current increasing deafness. But you make your own bed you gotta lay in it. 

I can understand being confused with all the car roar, the radio chatter, and general audial chaos of the opening scenes.

Still on a high from Fury Road, I decided to watch Beyond Thunderdome since it's the only one I haven't seen recently and I remembered very little about it. The consensus about this one being tonally wrong for a Mad Max movie and being hurt by Miller only directing the chase sequence is spot on. It's fun for the first 40 minutes until he gets sentenced to the gulag. I need to find a better quality version, but it seemed like the director made some strange choices, as there are very few establishing shots and everything's sort of shot in mid closeup. The fight in the Thunderdome is the best part and most like a Max movie. It's strange how influential The Road Warrior was on action movies that followed, yet a few short years later BT is so derivative of Spielberg. Everything about this feels wrong. I'm glad I'm going to see Fury Road again tomorrow as a palate cleanser.

The screencap I posted in the spoiler above is exactly how I feel about Fury Road after just watching it. I could see this movie once a week and never get sick of it. That isn't overhype. That is reality. This movie has some very minor flaws acting-wise (from just about everybody. accents especially all over the place) but who cares when you get something like THIS. 

I'll be honest, when Furiosa realized they had just driven through the waste left of her "Green Place" and she fell to her knees and let out that primal scream with the music swelling in the background, I cried.

So many good things to say about this that I can't even start. I will watch it multiple times in the theater before it's done and dissect it later.

Some people feel it's more immersive with the 3D (Saw one review that said that); I see that it wasn't filmed in 3D and was post-production rigged for 3D which explains why you have the wacky "Shit flying at the screen" climax.  I dunno.  I'm going to see it at the Drive-In tonight, so it will be a totally different experience than seeing it in 3D the first time.

Perhaps this is an outlier opinion, but I saw it in 3-D and generally actually forgot that I was watching in 3-D until some of the more obvious "Stick out at the audience" bits such as during the climax.

The Ant-Man preview in 3-D seemed more "3-D" than Fury Road actually did for the most part.

Still...bloody amazing movie.

Some people feel it's more immersive with the 3D (Saw one review that said that); I see that it wasn't filmed in 3D and was post-production rigged for 3D which explains why you have the wacky "Shit flying at the screen" climax.  I dunno.  I'm going to see it at the Drive-In tonight, so it will be a totally different experience than seeing it in 3D the first time.

3D is still shit.

I've seen it twice, both in 3D just because the showtimes were convenient. I'd have to see it on a regular screen to say whether or not the 3D is superior, but it's easily the best looking movie I've seen in the current 3D format. Miller personally oversaw the conversion and put a lot of time into it, so it wasn't just a cash-grab move. Immersive is definitely the right word.