DVDVR Message Board

2024 NBA OFFSEASON

RIPPA

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Per Wojo - Pistons GM Troy Weaver is keeping his job

Pistons are looking for a new President of Basketball Operations to sit above Weaver though.

• 2 weeks later...

https://theathletic.com/5450064/2024/04/26/nba-broadcasting-rights-amazon-prime-video/

In what will be a landmark move in sports media history, the NBA and Amazon Prime Video have the framework of a deal that will make the streaming service one of the main homes for the league’s games, executives with direct knowledge of the talks told The Athletic.

It is expected that Prime Video’s package will include significant regular season and postseason games, perhaps even some conference finals. The anticipation is that the final contract will be for at least a decade and begin the 2025-2026 season.

ESPN/ABC, as the website Puck reported Thursday, also has a framework of a deal with the expectations that an agreement will be completed. ESPN/ABC are expected to keep the Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract is also expected to be at least a decade in length.

Edited by dogwelder

From the Athletic:

(edit, fuck, beaten, but I'll leave it up)

In what will be a landmark move in sports media history, the NBA and Amazon Prime Video have the framework of a deal that will make the streaming service one of the main homes for the league’s games, executives with direct knowledge of the talks told The Athletic.

It is expected that Prime Video’s package will include significant regular season and postseason games, perhaps even some conference finals. The anticipation is that the final contract will be for at least a decade and begin the 2025-2026 season.

ESPN/ABC, as the website Puck reported Thursday, also has a framework of a deal with the expectations that an agreement will be completed. ESPN/ABC are expected to keep the Finals on its networks for the duration of its deals. Like Amazon, ESPN’s new contract is also expected to be at least a decade in length.

All of the details are not finalized yet, but all sides are under the expectations they will get done. The NBA, Amazon and ESPN all declined to comment.

The NBA prefers to have three companies involved in its new deals, but has not ruled out adding a fourth.

The NBA is finishing up nine-year deals that pay it $2.6 billion on average from ESPN and TNT Sports. Those contracts end after the 2024-2025 season.

The advancement in the Amazon and ESPN talks leaves incumbent Warner Bros. Discovery, which owns network TNT Sports, to face off with NBC, owned by Comcast, for the likely last package of games. Warner Bros. Discovery has the right to match deals, but NBC could try to structure an agreement in a way that makes it difficult.

While there is still work to be completed for the final arrangements, the current packages are going to be pruned slightly to create the third partner. In one arrangement, ESPN will cut down from around 100 games to around 80, according to executives briefed on the talks.

A natural landing spot for Amazon’s regular-season games could be Thursday night, where it already has the NFL from September to early January. The NBA, in recent years, has moved its games off Thursday during the time period to not go head-to-head with the NFL. It is expected to then have significant playoff inventory. Amazon has shown interest in global rights, which has been a key part of the NBA’s negotiating strategy as it lined all of its domestic and international deals to end following the 2024-2025 season.

The NBA has made it clear that it wanted to define itself for the next frontier of viewing with streaming at the forefront.

With ESPN, Amazon and the NBA all under the impression that they will complete deals, this puts the onus on TNT Sports, which has had the NBA since 1984. It is in a fight with NBC, which was the lead partner of the NBA before losing its rights in 2002. NBC, with its streaming service, Peacock, wants back in and is competing with Warner Bros. Discovery Sports for a deal.

Edited by SirFozzie

At times like this, I spare a thought for her brother Anthony. Made Bradley's all-century team, became a legit superstar in Euroleague with Maccabi Tel Aviv, had a solid NBA career, literally the second-best baller in his Naperville house. 😄

Gratz Candace!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pete said:

At times like this, I spare a thought for her brother Anthony. Made Bradley's all-century team, became a legit superstar in Euroleague with Maccabi Tel Aviv, had a solid NBA career, literally the second-best baller in his Naperville house. 😄

Gratz Candace!

See Miller, Cheryl and Reggie

19 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

See Miller, Cheryl and Reggie

Does anybody really believe that Reggie wouldn't eat her alive if Reggie & Cheryl played 1-on-1? 

By their own admission, they played each other one on one hundreds of times at home, and she won the majority of the time. 

That may be their own embellishment, but I've seen them both play and...  I wouldn't wager money on him "eating her alive", no. 

• Like 1

At any rate, Reggie and Cheryl tell this great story about how he had a really great game in high school, scored forty something. In the car with his dad and sister he was telling them about the great game he had and they asked Cheryl how she had done in her game that same night.

"Well, I scored a bit more."

"How many?"

"105"

Hahahaha. At the press conference last night, the last question was posed to him if it crossed his mind that he just played his last game as a Laker. His face lit up and he chewed on it before saying "I can't answer that."

That dude is going to be everyone's favorite teammate at the Olympics.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 12:42 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

On 4/29/2024 at 12:42 PM, Dolfan in NYC said:

By their own admission, they played each other one on one hundreds of times at home, and she won the majority of the time. 

That may be their own embellishment, but I've seen them both play and...  I wouldn't wager money on him "eating her alive", no. 

Maybe when they were 12 and he hadn't grown yet. 

He had 5 inches, strength, and better long distance shooting on her. C'mon. 

Which is not to take anything away from her. She's arguably the greatest female basketball player ever. Amazing career and accomplishments. 

Edited by Tabe

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Maybe when they were 12 and he hadn't grown yet. 

He had 5 inches, strength, and better long distance shooting on her. C'mon. 

Which is not to take anything away from her. She's arguably the greatest female basketball player ever. Amazing career and accomplishments. 

Reggie has repeatedly said that Cheryl would absolutely crush him until he had gotten tall enough to where he could get a shot off without her immediately blocking it, then it was more competitive.

But "eat her alive"? Absolutely not.

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

Reggie has repeatedly said that Cheryl would absolutely crush him until he had gotten tall enough to where he could get a shot off without her immediately blocking it, then it was more competitive.

But "eat her alive"? Absolutely not.

So... exactly like I said. 

I'm talking 25-year old Reggie vs 25-year old Cheryl. Prime vs prime. I just don't see how Reggie, who could put up 35 against Michael Jordan, would not dominate. 

Again, no disrespect to Cheryl who I have a ton of respect for. 

Edited by Tabe

54 minutes ago, Tabe said:

So... exactly like I said. 

I'm talking 25-year old Reggie vs 25-year old Cheryl. Prime vs prime. I just don't see how Reggie, who could put up 35 against Michael Jordan, would not dominate. 

Again, no disrespect to Cheryl who I have a ton of respect for. 

No, it's not exactly like you said. You said Reggie would "eat her alive". Being able to finally get a shot off is not "eat her alive". Come on man.

The 25 year old Reggie vs 25 year old Cheryl argument doesn't hold weight either because by the time she was 25, Cheryl had suffered multiple catastrophic knee injuries.

Seriously though. Go back and watch Winning Time. Reggie, to this day, even when he has creative input in a documentary about himself, still cites that Cheryl was better than him. So if Reggie believes it, that's good enough for me.

2 hours ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

No, it's not exactly like you said. You said Reggie would "eat her alive". Being able to finally get a shot off is not "eat her alive". Come on man.

The 25 year old Reggie vs 25 year old Cheryl argument doesn't hold weight either because by the time she was 25, Cheryl had suffered multiple catastrophic knee injuries.

Seriously though. Go back and watch Winning Time. Reggie, to this day, even when he has creative input in a documentary about himself, still cites that Cheryl was better than him. So if Reggie believes it, that's good enough for me.

What I said - that you agreed with - is that Cheryl dominated when they were young before Reggie had grown. 

When I said 25 years old, I *clearly* meant athletic prime since I followed it up with "prime vs prime". So make her a healthy 25. It doesn't change anything. 

Reggie is just being nice when he says she was better. All you have to do is watch a little film of either one. Cheryl wasn't better than one of the top 200 (or so) NBA players ever. She just wasn't. Or even close to it. Was she more successful and more dominant among her peers? Sure. But saying she was better is like saying Serena Williams was better than Andy Murray in tennis because she won more Grand Slams. 

23 minutes ago, Tabe said:

What I said - that you agreed with - is that Cheryl dominated when they were young before Reggie had grown. 

When I said 25 years old, I *clearly* meant athletic prime since I followed it up with "prime vs prime". So make her a healthy 25. It doesn't change anything. 

Reggie is just being nice when he says she was better. All you have to do is watch a little film of either one. Cheryl wasn't better than one of the top 200 (or so) NBA players ever. She just wasn't. Or even close to it. Was she more successful and more dominant among her peers? Sure. But saying she was better is like saying Serena Williams was better than Andy Murray in tennis because she won more Grand Slams. 

I didn't agree with that. I said, per Reggie, that Cheryl crushed him until he grew to the point he could get a shot off without her immediately blocking it. We have no idea how their matchups went afterward because neither has said anything, but the one constant has been that Reggie has said Cheryl is better than him, and I am going to believe him over you as he is much more of a definitive source.

And I have watched quite a bit of film of both. Your contention was that Reggie would "eat Cheryl alive" and I don't personally see it, nor does Reggie himself back that statement up, so we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

17 minutes ago, Stefanie Sparkleface said:

I didn't agree with that. I said, per Reggie, that Cheryl crushed him until he grew to the point he could get a shot off without her immediately blocking it. We have no idea how their matchups went afterward because neither has said anything, but the one constant has been that Reggie has said Cheryl is better than him, and I am going to believe him over you as he is much more of a definitive source.

And I have watched quite a bit of film of both. Your contention was that Reggie would "eat Cheryl alive" and I don't personally see it, nor does Reggie himself back that statement up, so we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

I can live with that. Enjoy your day! 

• Like 1

Mavs have extended Jason Kidd because they were afraid the Lakers were going to poach him