DVDVR Message Board

AEW DYNASTY - 4/21/2024

I don't care what anybody says, there was no Jericho/Hook match.  No, I don't want evidence to the contrary thank you very much.

But aside from...whatever the fuck that was the show was fucking great with two absolutely incredible matches.  If Danielson had a fake injury it ruined the finish but if it's real then I hope he's okay.  They could have ended it with Staredown>Hidden Blade>Pin and it would have been damn near perfect.  But before they went one step beyond the match was fucking exquisite.  And Pac/Okada not only delivered on all fronts but the pacing made every big moment matter.  I really loved the shit out of that match and if not for Ospreay/Danielson it would have been an easy MOTN.

The takeaway I have right now past all that is Swerve is the champ.  He talked about this in the All Out media scrum about this happening and how much he's put into making this happen.  The guy has earned every bit of this and I'm incredibly happy for him.  Now for the love of everything please put him on every great media outlet you can.  The guy is a star and needs to be seen by as many as possible.

• Like 4

Also,  has there ever been a duel like finish like the one we had with Danielson/Ospreay?   I think it's the first time I've ever seen two wrestlers charge at each other like the opening to the X-Men cartoon and try to beat each other to the punch with their best move.... Holy shit

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I went into this show pretty indifferent. It looked fine on paper but I think I just have wrestling fatigue coming off Mania weekend and all the shows I've still been catching up on. That and AEW has been a bit cold to me as of late.

During Pac/Okada I was a bit distracted but enjoyed what I saw overall. Okada's finisher still sucks.

The trios match and both women's matches were fine overall but nothing memorable.

Roddy/Kyle was a damn good ROH match.

Hook/Jericho was the only real stinker of the night. Of course there needs to be some sort of No DQ match on an AEW show and they still insist on using a novelty belt from the 90s for whatever reason. Jericho is a heel and should ideally be treated as such by the crowd, but he was getting straight up go home heat here. They can't just let this program be done, either.

Danielson/Osperay is my MOTYC so far. The two just had such insane chemistry, coming up with counters and reactions to anything the other could pull out. I don't think I've ever seen an avalanche tiger suplex before. The knee to the back of the head counter to the springboard cutter was a nasty move, followed by them both almost playing chicken with their strike finishers only for Osperay to come out on top. I question Danielson's sanity in taking that ganso bomb at the end. The "legit" injury bit at the finish was a bit iffy, but didn't take away from the rest of the match.

The ladder match stipulation didn't do much for me here as FTR and the Bucks tend to have pretty good chemistry with eachother. Still, there was some fun stuff here without any major botches or Bucks schtick. That powerplex off the ladders was nice, as was the callback to the first match where Cash went after a high flying move only to miss and crash. Jack Perry comes back doing a latter day Jim Morrison impression.

Joe/Swerve was a bit slower and more methodical than I was expecting. Schrodinger's title belt surprisingly didn't come into play. This would have stood out a lot more had it not followed the last two matches, but overall it was decent. I think there was still more mileage in Joe's title reign, but Strickland's iron isn't getting any hotter and this was the best time to strike. I'm just hoping Page doesn't show up on Wednesday to challenge.

This was a great show with a hot crowd. AEW has definitely had it's foibles lately, but this PPV delivered in-ring and isn't going to be causing any buzz due to the bad kind of controversy.

Edited by HumanChessgame
  • Like 5

Best match was the opener. PAC and Okada laid out a surprisingly slow burn that featured Okada FINALLY turning into a great heel. So much smirking. He even mocked the kickout reaction face! PAC got an ovation after, too, which was sweet of them. I mean he deserved it after taking what even sounded like a shoot DDT on the ground. 

Second best was Danielson of course. The big deal in this one to me is all the stuff I typically don't like -- the reversals, the flippy dancy stuff -- was poetry in motion here. Art. Physical art. There are two or three 10-step reversal spots that are jaw-droppingly gif worthy. But this wasn't all gif wrestling, and based largely off the sheer Cult of Ospreay going on here, tackling the Master. Yeah, nobody likes Danielson doing injury sells anymore, but I thought it was legit his arm. At least he was kicking around so we knew he could move. 

Toni and even Rosa saved the bacon! You know why. Willow won, so good. And the ladder match did its best to keep people even chanting after they spent their load on what came before. The rest, I leave to y'all to discuss *sinister laugh*

Oh man, Botchamania is gonna be a treat for the swear jar, too. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Will Ospreay vs. Bryan Danielson was a terrific match but I HATE when Bryan Danielson does the seizure sell and with his history, when doctors come in.

Didn't they literally start a restriction or rule against doing that?

• Like 1

That crowd was amazing, I had no idea St. Louis was capable of such a thing but it was the best crowd I've heard in a long time. They had unique chants but always about what was happening in the ring, not to put themselves over, and were involved in every match. The matches were great, no doubt, but having a hot crowd always helps and they were into it start to finish. Good job, crowd.

• Like 8

Kazuchika Okada vs. PAC was a great match but I unfortunately missed the early going as I wasn't awake in time so need to see it back.

Liked House of Black vs. Mark Briscoe/Eddie Kingston/Adam Copeland but felt it overstayed it's welcome by a couple of minutes.

Willow Nightingale vs. Julia Hart went short, good for what it was probably with Julia's shoulder.

Enjoyed Roderick Strong vs. Kyle O'Reilly even though Wardlow came out to interfere and did f all. Only reason he did was to tease Wardlow getting axed from the Undisputed Kingdom.

Chris Jericho vs. Hook. Rough night for Jericho with "Go home, Jericho" and "Please retire". Chris really needs to go away for a while.

Really liked Timeless Toni Storm vs. Thunder Rosa. Storm's best match in the gimmick?

Will Ospreay vs. Bryan Danielson was amazing. Never expected Bryan to take THAT Tiger Driver. As noted I hate when Danielson does his seizure sell knowing his medical history with concussions and neck injuries.

Liked Young Bucks/FTR even though the ladder match isn't a speciality for FTR unlike the Young Bucks and the expected return of Jack Perry.

Swerve Strickland vs. Samoa Joe was a good main event but felt a tad rush as it was coming up to the end of the PPV broadcast. I had visions of Sting's retirement speech getting cut short at AEW Revolution 2024 again.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Also,  has there ever been a duel like finish like the one we had with Danielson/Ospreay?   I think it's the first time I've ever seen two wrestlers charge at each other like the opening to the X-Men cartoon and try to beat each other to the punch with their best move.... Holy shit

0308-F5-D4-0-DD9-4951-9467-A21-E9-AE09-D
they recreated their poster

• Like 8

Dammit I forgot to mention the main (already? Jeez). I think it was a clean half Joe, half Swerve-booked match. Joe having to get into place for everything, especially the end where he was practically begging for Swerve to stomp him (stomp was good though finally) was egregious. But Swerve deserves to be champ so it was feel-good. And he wore Jimmy Rave's cape/coat/whatever! 

That swear jar comment I made... man, EVERYBODY was cussing. The wrestlers, the crowd, people throwing up the bird at each other, I'm surprised JR didn't say "shit" or something. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I don't care what anybody says, there was no Jericho/Hook match.  No, I don't want evidence to the contrary thank you very much.

But aside from...whatever the fuck that was the show was fucking great with two absolutely incredible matches.  If Danielson had a fake injury it ruined the finish but if it's real then I hope he's okay.  They could have ended it with Staredown>Hidden Blade>Pin and it would have been damn near perfect.  But before they went one step beyond the match was fucking exquisite.  And Pac/Okada not only delivered on all fronts but the pacing made every big moment matter.  I really loved the shit out of that match and if not for Ospreay/Danielson it would have been an easy MOTN.

The takeaway I have right now past all that is Swerve is the champ.  He talked about this in the All Out media scrum about this happening and how much he's put into making this happen.  The guy has earned every bit of this and I'm incredibly happy for him.  Now for the love of everything please put him on every great media outlet you can.  The guy is a star and needs to be seen by as many as possible.

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wish that was the finish. Much better and safer than the Spike Tiger Driver/Hidden Blade one we got.

• Like 2

I felt like Swerve showed a champion’s poise at the end, when they whiffed the top rope Swerve Stomp, and he just played it off and went right to something else, rather than try to redo it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, EVA said:

I felt like Swerve showed a champion’s poise at the end, when they whiffed the top rope Swerve Stomp, and he just played it off and went right to something else, rather than try to redo it.

He played it like Joe ducked and I thought that was what happened for a second... I wasn't sure.  Which means if it wasn't supposed to go down that way he did a great job of recovering 

The Danielson hyper realistic selling has got to a spot where it didn’t ruin the match. But if he actually ever gets hurt I won’t believe it. So there’s that. Best Ospreay match I’ve seen so far. I’m not big into that style of super moves not ending things and leading to pandemonium, but boy this was exquisitely fun. I had a blast and this lived up to everything that was hyped. If this doesn’t break Meltzer’s scale then it confirms other people are snitches.

Swerve is going to be a good champ. His character really is something special with the fans. Good job Joe saving this company and being a legitimate badass to beat.

Bucks vs FTR had a hard job of following Danielson vs Ospreay. But they really got me back into the show after I wiped off my belly. They were probably the only people in that type of match that could do it.

The 6 man was fun. I loved it. 

Opener was fantastic. Glad to see prick OkadAEW and PAC getting heavily cheered after the match. 

YAY WILLOW! 

Toni Storm vs Thunder Rosa was really good. I hope we see more of this but I could see Toni going to the next challenger.

lol Jericho vs Hook made me naughty smile. Good stuff.

I saw Wardlow got in a car accident so seeing him show up actually made me happy. 

• Like 4

Wardlow looked like such a chump being the hired goon for THOSE puds. 

And to make another sexual reference, nice kick to the hoo-ha, Toni! Rosa don't need that belt again, she needs to be a dirty heel with Deonna. Dr. Looser earned his paycheck tonight from having his necked almost snapped from both a tornillo and running into the stairs, too. 

• Like 1