DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 3/20 - 3/26/2024 - Do You Wanna Ride In My Mercedes Boy?

How the fuck was the tombstone->Blue Thunder not the finish for Takeshita/Romero? It would have been perfect, and having Romero kick out only to lose to something less impressive was silly. That's something you should either lose to or kick out of on the way to winning.

There are at least 13 people furiously cranking the weasel over the close up of Statlander's back full of tacks, and I hope I never meet any of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Just Dave said:

Also, the irony of Mercedes being upset w Willow for injuring her isn’t lost on me, seeing as how Ms. Mone herself has injured not opponents than prime Joe Frazier…

Hell yeah. My hope for this is Willow becoming the star I think she can be. Speaking of, the Rampage main event was really awesome. All four of these women are where AEW should be going in the future. Skye and Julia have improved a lot. Statlander is good even though she's not an alien anymore. That Code Blue on the announcers table looked rough to take. The opening tag was killer too, even if they continue to kill the pile driver as a meaningful move.

• Like 3

Kazuchika Okada vs. Eddie Kingston was my Match of the Night. Finishing sequence came too quick. Did like how the Rainmaker was a one and done like it used to be. Okada wins his first AEW Championship in no time. Kazuchika Omega vs. PAC. Yes, please.

Adam Copeland vs. Christian Cage didn't grab me. Maybe because I was tired. Thought it'd be wilder with thumbtacks/fire. The match at World's End 2023 was better.

The Women's Street Fight has become one of the matches I look forward to in AEW but Julia Hart/Skye Blue vs. Kris Statlander/Willow Nightingale was the weakest yet.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kang said:

Well Eddie is just Double Crown champ. He can cosplay as Kota Ibushi or someone else now.

Eddie is like the last guy left who can make me go full little-kid mark, angry when he loses no matter how good a match is even as I approach 50. That was a phenomenal match, Okada/Pac is going to be a phenomenal match. But the King better get his win back.

• Like 6

I was thinking the kickout-to-do-more-stuff of Rocky was silly too but was giving leeway because I thought it was a real nice sleeper match that will be totally forgotten. 

Tonight man... I dunno, I just spaced off looking at other stuff and eating dinner most of the time. I woke up from a nap exactly at 7 PM when the show started after I dropped around 4, so I'm just out of it (but hey I got a job I'm starting on Friday, so this won't be happening again... *sigh*). 

• Like 3

My top three AEW Women's Street Fights:

3. Kris Statlander/Willow Nightingale vs. Mercedes Martinez/Diamante. AEW Collison, 16th December 2023.

2. Ruby Soho/Willow Nightingale vs. Tay Melo/Anna Jay. AEW Rampage, 13th January 2023.

1. Anna Jay/Tay Conti vs. The Bunny/Penelope Ford. AEW Rampage, 31st December 2021.

#1 is one of the best AEW matches ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kang said:

Well Eddie is just Double Crown champ. He can cosplay as Kota Ibushi or someone else now.

Dude the second he starts riding a bike in circles around the ring holding a tube of silver Xmas paper is when I stop watching.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Dude the second he starts riding a bike in circles around the ring holding a tube of silver Xmas paper is when I stop watching.

Minoru Suzuki riding a bike during a match > Kota riding a bike during a match 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Yeah, that was a poor blade job after getting a spike to the dome. I really miss the Bunny.

I miss The Bunny for a number of reasons. That said, I liked the new entrance video for The Butcher & The Blade. 

• Like 3

Huge pop for the Pebbles references in topic, one of my all time favs.

Lots of fun matches throughout the night from start to finish, starting with Kingston/Okada. I also dug the 3 hour Dynamite/Rampage together format.  the VirtuRosa team planted the seeds for Deonna to turn.  Pretty good blowoff for Copeland and Christian.

Lots of blood tonight but I expected more when Statlander & Willow came out in all white. The women's tag team street fights are always top notch and deliver the goods. This one not quite as wild as the last few but still good all around with some crazy bumps towards the end. 

Liking the continuing stacked shows and looking forward to Ospreay/Shibata next week.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That was so incredibly stupid but it was an homage to one of the greatest boss fights ever (vs Kuze in Yakuza 0), so it gets a pass. Really, the whole Sotenbori Street Fight is so full of silly homages to the games as to be charmingly dumb and then you get Takeshita just absolutely fucking up Kenny by hitting him so hard with the bike that the big gear leaves bloody marks on his back.

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm surprised we didn't get Stat or Willow turning on one another tonight. I feel like it's coming and I can see reasons for either one to turn. 

I know it's coming too but I'd prefer it not to. Statlander will get lost in the shuffle, I think. 

Dickhead Kazuchika Okada is best Kazuchika Okada. Kazuchika Okada is now the fastest wrestler in AEW history to win a title after signing with the company. Only 14 days.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Anyone who was asking before the show about Adam Copeland and blood, he had a couple of matches with Mick Foley (one vs Foley at Wrestlemania, one tagging with Foley vs Terry Funk & Tommy Dreamer on a WWECW PPV), that were all blood and barbed wire and FIRE. He was well on his way to becoming the best Mainstream Hardcore wrestler on the scene, and then the PG era started.

EDIT: I've put both matches in Blood Sucking Freaks, if you're interested.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

People marking out about belts and I'm over here just happy that Eddie Kingston is having a 3 year run where he has, like, every concievable Kingston dream match one after another. What a fucking ride, man.

• Like 13

The street fight was everything I expected and more. Props to all four women for killing it. So crazy to see Julia Hart now and think of the awkward cheerleader from a few years ago. Like what's going on between Mercedes and Willow. I can't lie. When Stat and Willow came out, I half expected them to swerve and smash her with the chairs lol so the Willow tease had me Mark out 

Deonna is so turning heel and I'm ready for it. I prefer her character evil.

I can get behind a Toni/Rosa program.

• Like 3

AEW Dynasty looking great:

Bryan Danielson vs. Will Ospreay (Confirmed).

Tournament Finals for the AEW World Tag Team Championship (Confirmed).

Samoa Joe vs. Swerve Strickland (Likely).

Kazuchika Omega vs. PAC (Likely).

Timeless Toni Storm vs. Thunder Rosa (Likely).

Mercedes Mone vs. Willow Nightingale (Likely).

• Like 2