DVDVR Message Board

FALLOUT (The Amazon TV Series)

RIPPA

I saw something (which of course I can't find now) where one of the creators said that they were given so much freedom with the source material that the show is "almost like Fallout 5" (not that the Fallout 5 video game will be the plot of the TV show)

Saw that as well.  nolan and co. basically treated it as if they were writing Fallout 5. I'm guessing depending on the quality and reactions from the audience Bethesda might actually make it canon.

Something I just saw today (but don't think is new news) - for timeline purposes, the TV show takes place roughly a decade after Fallout 4

And co-creator Jonathan Nolan clarified that basically Todd Howard told them what things to avoid as (for now) they will be in Fallout 5

• 4 weeks later...

Amazon has renewed the show for a second season already

The second season will be shot in California since the state is giving Amazon MGM Studios $25 million in tax credits (per Variety)

The first season was shot in New York and Utah

This video was put out by Bethesda Software so it might not be as interesting to you if you didn't play/don't care about the games

My god. Those magnificent sons of bitches did it. They really pulled this off. This is probably the best thing to hit Prime since the Boys.

• Like 2

4 episodes in, and I'm digging the show a good deal. It very much feels like the world of Fallout, and the character drama/dynamic with Lucy and the Ghoul is solid.

Finished the show. I have somewhat mixed feelings on it though overall its really good. It captures the games kind of perfectly including a side quest or two and does well with character building for the most part. The weakest part is probably related to the Moldaver character who it feels like we never really got a full picture of.

Spoiler

It was especially weird how we never found out how she stayed alive for so long. It also would have been nice to see how Hank managed to nuke Shady Sands as the 31-33 Vaults didn't seem capable of nuclear weapons. Honestly, some of that finale felt rushed in that respect as there were necessary details missing.

The portrayal of the Brotherhood was interesting. It feels darker, but it also makes sense in a way as I have trouble seeing so all of the West Coast be so positive about the changes Maxson brought. Maximus and co. in particular noticeably lacked the discipline & training we see on the East Coast in the games.

Goggins's Ghoul is one of the highlights. He is an incredible bastard even compared to Boyd Crowder yet is probably still less evil. That man chews scenery every time he is on the screen be it as a ghoul or even before the bombs dropped despite being less intense.

The two biggest aspects give me mixed feelings despite being rather good are the following:

Spoiler

I dislike that they seem to confirm not only Vault-Tec but all of the other major companies along with them as being behind the bombs dropping. I like it as one of many random theories, but I'm in the group that prefers no confirmation be it the Zetans, the Enclave, Vault-Tec, etc. If they ever did I kind of hope its somehow all of them at once.

My other issue is of course related to the New Vegas.

Spoiler

There was absolutely zero reason to de-canonize it here. They could have easily pulled the same story and had it take place post New Vegas. Damn near nothing would have changed as the game hinted at the NCR's likely death in several instances. That was either spite, incompetent indifference, or the hopeful third option where the show isn't technically canon. Want to say they have actually been coy on that for a while now. Not sure they ever confirmed it would be for sure. Whatever the case I still think it was a bad idea to not just have the Shady Sands bombing occur later. All they have done is unnecessarily piss off New Vegas fans. 

Even with mixed feelings I really dug the hell out of the show. I'm curious to see where things head in S2 as there is plenty more to explore.

Sliiiiight nitpick regarding Boyd Crowder being evil.

I would say Boyd isn’t evil. He fell in with the wrong crowd with all of the Neo Nazi stuff, but then he cast all of that aside, which was one of Walton Goggins’ requests to keep doing the role - he didn’t want to be a racist Nazi. Now, I will say that Boyd was an outlaw and he and Raylan were two sides of the same coin. But him being an outlaw doesn’t necessarily mean he’s evil even if he killed people. I’m sure folks will disagree with that assessment, but after watching Justified 3 times through, I don’t really get the sense that Boyd is evil.

And I don’t really think the Ghoul is either.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Sliiiiight nitpick regarding Boyd Crowder being evil.

I would say Boyd isn’t evil. He fell in with the wrong crowd with all of the Neo Nazi stuff, but then he cast all of that aside, which was one of Walton Goggins’ requests to keep doing the role - he didn’t want to be a racist Nazi. Now, I will say that Boyd was an outlaw and he and Raylan were two sides of the same coin. But him being an outlaw doesn’t necessarily mean he’s evil even if he killed people. I’m sure folks will disagree with that assessment, but after watching Justified 3 times through, I don’t really get the sense that Boyd is evil.

And I don’t really think the Ghoul is either.

Evil might be too strong a word but was the one I chose because I think Boyd's acts and mindset go beyond just being a bad person. I don't think the Ghoul is evil, just a complete cold bastard doing what he can to survive and achieve his goals. Some of his acts are absolutely cruel though also still play into his own survival and are arguably within reason in the Wasteland despite the cruelty.

33 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What did the show do with regard to New Vegas?

Spoiler

Shady Sands was nuked in 2277 and seemingly led to the downfall of the NCR. Actually it seems like the NCR never really spread far even before then. It basically de-canonized New Vegas if the show is considered canon.

• Like 1

Todd Howard did confirm certain events actually are post New Vegas so the game is still canon.

Spoiler

Shady Sands was bombed not long after the events New Vegas occurred. Will be interesting to see how bad the NCR has actually fallen since they were spread out thin and had a lot of shit that could have easily led to their downfall mentioned within New Vegas. I just hope next season we get a Danny Trejo as Raul cameo.