DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

38 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Has there ever been a #1 overall QB that started right away AND was successful? I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

The one thing that will help Caleb Williams that most QBs that join the worst team in the NFL don't have (which of course the Bears weren't, just happen to have the #1 pick) is he'll have some weapons. Two really talented WRs, a solid TE, and a good running game along with a line that is above average when healthy. The Bears have issues like any sub-500 team does but as long as he comes in and isn't terrible its not the worst situation for a starting rookie QB. As long as the coaching is good but I don't follow them close enough to know if fans are optimistic or pessimistic in that area.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Successful immediately, or just had a successful career?

Immediately, obviously. Plenty of #1 overalls have been successful - Peyton, Stafford, Aikman Palmer, etc. - but all of them sucked out of the gate. I'm just wondering if anybody was successful immediately. 

4 hours ago, Tabe said:

Immediately, obviously. Plenty of #1 overalls have been successful - Peyton, Stafford, Aikman Palmer, etc. - but all of them sucked out of the gate. I'm just wondering if anybody was successful immediately. 

Cam Newton, arguably

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AA484 said:

Cam Newton, arguably

Cam and Andrew Luck are pretty much the only two who were good immediately and "successful" (insert your own definition for that word here)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Cam and Andrew Luck are pretty much the only two who were good immediately and "successful" (insert your own definition for that word here)

Luck for sure - pretty good numbers and 11-5. Cam was good and improved the team a lot.

I'll agree with those two. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tabe said:

Has there ever been a #1 overall QB that started right away AND was successful? I can't think of one off the top of my head. 

CJ Stroud. Should’ve been #1. But I’ll take it.

Boy I certainly wouldn't give Chase Young $13 million let alone guaranteeing the full amount but I am not the Saints

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

It looks like the Tommy Devito experiment with the Giants is over according to Fox Sports.   

It isn't really news and the FOX Sports report is that Devito is "unlikely" to be on the roster

A lot is gonna happen between Point A and Point B

1) Daniel Jones has to be healthy to start actually playing

2) The Giants draft a QB

I mean I don't mind it if someone idiotically trades for Devito but more likely he is gonna get cut and then brought back on the practice squad because no one else is gonna grab him (outside maybe the Jets)

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Boy I certainly wouldn't give Chase Young $13 million let alone guaranteeing the full amount but I am not the Saints

Clearly the Saints don't give a fuck

On 3/13/2024 at 2:25 PM, RIPPA said:

Chargers are releasing Mike Williams

And he's found his new home.   He'll be a Jet next season. 

1 year, up to $15 million(!)

In the last 2 days I have heard the Steelers going for either Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk.   I don't expect any of them to happen but this version of Steelers off season is beyond drunk that we are even thinking about going for top receivers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

In the last 2 days I have heard the Steelers going for either Justin Jefferson or Brandon Aiyuk.   I don't expect any of them to happen but this version of Steelers off season is beyond drunk that we are even thinking about going for top receivers

One thing I find fascinating about this time period of free agency is teams just seem to be swapping bit players. A backup DT from one team will sign with another for 2 mil, the team they came from will sign one for 2 mil, its like everyone is trading backups. I say this as the Bills just signed a couple rotational/backup guys and it just feels likely the teams they left will do the same to replace them, like everyone just needed a change of scenery.

Course the hope is to find that "diamond in the rough" but most the time they end up being inactive or camp fodder. 

14 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

How about Baker Mayfield? 

If he'd started right away, you'd be on to something. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Can’t wait for the refs to subjectively call these and bullshit extend drives for Mahomes and company

Oh, also the NFL did *not* ban the Tush Push.  

I'm sure they will once someone gets injured, but til then... 

41 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Can’t wait for the refs to subjectively call these and bullshit extend drives for Mahomes and company

Yeah, I don't like this rule change. And, like you said, I'm sure it'll be enforced in an "interesting" way. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

To add to your skepticism:

"The violation will result in a 15-yard penalty if flagged in games, but Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, strongly implied last week that it is likely to be enforced similarly to the "use of helmet" rule, which typically leads to warning letters and fines in the week after a game rather than flags during play."

That's from ESPN's article on the rule. 

• Like 2