DVDVR Message Board

2024 NFL OFFSEASON

RIPPA

The Steelers started their process of clearing cap space by releasing Mitch Trubisky, Chukwuma Okorafor and Pressley Harvin

Saves the approximately $13 million

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

give up 3 points in the first half of the Super Bowl to Patrick Mahomes and get fired after losing the game... it's a tough world out there

I suppose it's kinda fair when you look how the Packers and especially Lions carved them up for large stretches but yeah, damn. It's not his fault that Bosa and Young eventually got tired after making Mahomes life miserable for two and a half quarters or that the punt return unit put his defense back on the field deep in their own territory right after getting a stop.

Steve Wilks hasn't been employed by the same team in back to back years in awhile, so.. (a) this is nothing new and (b) he'll land somewhere

the last few years.. SF in 2023, Carolina in 2022, Mizzou in 2021, no job in 2020, Cleveland in 2019, Arizona in 2018. His Carolina Panthers tenure from 2012 to 2017 was the last time he lasted more than a year anywhere

So the Football Coach job placement society will find some place with an opening among defensive coaches for 2024.

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

Detroit didn't see him play last year? Lol

The Lions have Hendon Hooker as their lone backup quarterback. Trubisky might suck but he's at least played. 

15 hours ago, Tabe said:

The Lions have Hendon Hooker as their lone backup quarterback. Trubisky might suck but he's at least played. 

There are better FA options for backups than Trubisky though.

Jacoby Brissett and Gardner Minshew to name a couple.

16 hours ago, Tabe said:

There is no way Hendon Hooker could be that much worse that what Trubisky did last year. 

10 minutes ago, paragon11 said:

There are better FA options for backups than Trubisky though.

Jacoby Brissett and Gardner Minshew to name a couple.

Yeah, but I'll bet Trubisky is gonna be significantly cheaper than those two. 

21 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I suppose it's kinda fair when you look how the Packers and especially Lions carved them up for large stretches but yeah, damn. It's not his fault that Bosa and Young eventually got tired after making Mahomes life miserable for two and a half quarters or that the punt return unit put his defense back on the field deep in their own territory right after getting a stop.

The Wilks firing is about the fact he wasn't a fit from the get go, despite assuring Shanahan and Lynch he could definitely adapt to the Niners defensive system.  I honestly think the writing was on the wall when Shanahan had to force Wilks down from the booth to the sidelines because the communication wasn't working between Wilks, his assistants, and the players.  Having watched all but I think three or four games(two while on the road driving back and forth from Florida), while some of the raw numbers of the defense look good to great, there were way too many struggles along the way for the talent they have on hand.  They were 3rd in rushing yards allowed this year compared to 2nd last year, but this year they gave up 4.1 yards per attempt vs. 3.4 ypa last year.  The raw yardage is similar because this year opposing teams were playing from behind most of the year because the Niners offense was scoring more, and quickly, meaning teams had to abandon the run.  In games where the Niners didn't get off to a fast start offensively, opponents gashed them on the ground(see the Browns and Bengals games in the regular season and all three playoff games).  Beyond that, the defense has seemed to feed off the energy of the DC during the Shanahan era, from Saleh to Ryans.  That was missing with Wilks, even after he moved down to the field from the booth.  Wilks wasn't able to marry his schematic ideas and tendencies to what the Niners have done previously and what ShanaLynch and the even the players wanted to see continue.  The Zero Blitz is a good example of that.  It's not a thing the Niners defense did much during the Saleh and Ryans tenures, and it cost the Niners a game against the Vikings early in the season and led to a couple of major gains in the Super Bowl.  

TL/DR, Wilks was a square peg in a round hole from the start.  His philosophy didn't mesh with the Niners system as hoped, and the players didn't seem to buy in to scheme changes to a defense that didn't need fixing, only minor tweaking.  I'm curious to see where they turn now.  Is linebackers coach Johnny Holland, now two years removed from taking time off due to cancer at a point where he could assume the role with no worries?  Does Pete Carroll still have enough creativity and adaptability and maybe anger at the Seahawks management to take a year or two as a DC, running the a talented defense that plays the scheme he developed back with the Niners in 1995?  Is there a lame duck college coach that fits the fiery former linebacker/D-lineman archetype the players seem to want who would make a move like Chip Kelly to OSU or the GSU coach who just left for a South Carolina assistant gig?  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gatling said:

The Wilks firing is about the fact he wasn't a fit from the get go, despite assuring Shanahan and Lynch he could definitely adapt to the Niners defensive system.  I honestly think the writing was on the wall when Shanahan had to force Wilks down from the booth to the sidelines because the communication wasn't working between Wilks, his assistants, and the players.  Having watched all but I think three or four games(two while on the road driving back and forth from Florida), while some of the raw numbers of the defense look good to great, there were way too many struggles along the way for the talent they have on hand.  They were 3rd in rushing yards allowed this year compared to 2nd last year, but this year they gave up 4.1 yards per attempt vs. 3.4 ypa last year.  The raw yardage is similar because this year opposing teams were playing from behind most of the year because the Niners offense was scoring more, and quickly, meaning teams had to abandon the run.  In games where the Niners didn't get off to a fast start offensively, opponents gashed them on the ground(see the Browns and Bengals games in the regular season and all three playoff games).  Beyond that, the defense has seemed to feed off the energy of the DC during the Shanahan era, from Saleh to Ryans.  That was missing with Wilks, even after he moved down to the field from the booth.  Wilks wasn't able to marry his schematic ideas and tendencies to what the Niners have done previously and what ShanaLynch and the even the players wanted to see continue.  The Zero Blitz is a good example of that.  It's not a thing the Niners defense did much during the Saleh and Ryans tenures, and it cost the Niners a game against the Vikings early in the season and led to a couple of major gains in the Super Bowl.  

TL/DR, Wilks was a square peg in a round hole from the start.  His philosophy didn't mesh with the Niners system as hoped, and the players didn't seem to buy in to scheme changes to a defense that didn't need fixing, only minor tweaking.  I'm curious to see where they turn now.  Is linebackers coach Johnny Holland, now two years removed from taking time off due to cancer at a point where he could assume the role with no worries?  Does Pete Carroll still have enough creativity and adaptability and maybe anger at the Seahawks management to take a year or two as a DC, running the a talented defense that plays the scheme he developed back with the Niners in 1995?  Is there a lame duck college coach that fits the fiery former linebacker/D-lineman archetype the players seem to want who would make a move like Chip Kelly to OSU or the GSU coach who just left for a South Carolina assistant gig?  

It would probably end up being only a one year thing, but I wonder if Mike Vrabel might be a fit for the job.

• Like 1

the organization's team building philosophy in this generation is to begin with building a Killer Pass Rush and despite all the sexy additions the killer pass rush, in the last couple months, did considerably less killing than advertised and so often seemed less than the sum of its parts, especially in the 4th Qtr.  Personally I think the Super Bowl loss was due mostly to the predictable and easily thwarted offensive play selection in the 3rd Qtr (three straight 3 and outs including one after the INT that should've been a game changer), and course due to Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid are really fucking good at their jobs and didn't Belichek and Brady just spend 20 years teaching us that when a team has both the best QB and the best coach there's not a hell of a lot you can do about it? But I digress.

Bosa just got his bag and Chase Young's a mercenary anyway, so the coach becomes the most expedient scapegoat.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BobbyWhioux said:

the organization's team building philosophy in this generation is to begin with building a Killer Pass Rush and despite all the sexy additions the killer pass rush, in the last couple months, did considerably less killing than advertised and so often seemed less than the sum of its parts, especially in the 4th Qtr.  Personally I think the Super Bowl loss was due mostly to the predictable and easily thwarted offensive play selection in the 3rd Qtr (three straight 3 and outs including one after the INT that should've been a game changer), and course due to Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid are really fucking good at their jobs and didn't Belichek and Brady just spend 20 years teaching us that when a team has both the best QB and the best coach there's not a hell of a lot you can do about it? But I digress.

Bosa just got his bag and Chase Young's a mercenary anyway, so the coach becomes the most expedient scapegoat.

Yeah, not running the ball down the Chiefs throats after the pick was...a choice.  I honestly think even if they won the game, Wilks was probably gone.  Bosa and Warner just didn't seem to jive with Wilks and he didn't always game plan to the strengths of the players.  Greenlaw getting hurt was also a HUGE blow.  I saw a stat that Oren Burks was targeted nine times with every pass a completion to his man for like 140 yards or something.  I'm not sure how many of those came after he moved over to Greenlaw's spot, but besides losing the tone setter/emotional heart of the defense, the drop in speed and coverage ability from Dre to Burks was substantial.  The loss was a confluence of a lot of things, really.  McCaffrey's fumble took at least three but probably seven points off the board to open up.  Not capitalizing on the INT and failing to run or gain yards on three straight drives in the third quarter probably took at least another three to ten points off the board.  The punt hitting Luter and McCloud trying to scoop it up and run instead of diving it on like a grenade was a gift of seven points to the Chiefs.  Feliciano being out and Burford picking up the blitzing DB instead of Jones cost them four points.  The Niners had a chance to win this by two or three scores, but too many mistakes let it slip away.

I already noted in the other thread that Jimmy G is getting a two game suspension for PEDs (which he will not appeal)

With that news - Schefter also confirmed that the Raiders are planning on releasing him before the 5th day of the new league year (so basically by Mid-March)

The Jets are attempting to trade Zach Wilson

However, they do not plan to release him if unable to trade him since the cap hit would be too big

• Haha 1

In other "attempting to trade" news

The Raiders are still trying to get someone to take on Hunter Renfrow's deal

He is owed $11.15 million but it isn't guaranteed so a team that acquired him would have an easier time restructuring it

And in his case - Vegas plans on releasing him if they can't trade him

Almost every QB that has been rumored on the market has been marked as going to the Steelers.   While the vast majority of the QB would be an upgrade (although the idea of Desmond Ridder being an upgrade over Pickett is a stretch),  none of them makes any significant changes.   I mean Russell Wilson doesn't make a 9-8 team a 12-5 team.  the only one I have heard that I would be excited for is Justin Fields but I feel the amount of picks we would squander for it would be brutal

I'd rather give Kenny a year with Arthur Smith. Say what you will, but Pickett was 7-4 as a starter last year. And had a few clutch drives to win games. And he would've won the 2 Trubisky games. Maybe I'm an optimist. Draft another stud for the O-line this year, and if Kenny doesn't work out, there is really good protection for whoever is the starter in 2025.