DVDVR Message Board

Ring of Honor - 2024

You don't just throw out Athena's handmade ring gear! Or powerbomb a cameraman through Athena's dressing room table! Or just declare yourself the new Minion Overlord (tm)! Nyla will answer to either Billie OR Athena for this in due time.

Mostly squashes in the first half until Bennett & Taven vs Fred Rosser & Tom Lawlor was pretty good.  Slim J looked great against Ethan Page. 

Queen Aminata with another great showing against Reiza Clarke. Bad Dude Tito vs Gringo Loco was solid. Lexi is a highlight in the Dalton skits. 

Double main event of 4 ways. the women's one was way short, would've liked more as a fan of all 4. the men's 4 way was pretty good for all involved, nice win for BIG Shotty. 

• Like 1

Shit, did I put my review in the wrong thread? Let's alleviate that. 

ROH was aight. Iron Savages were a larf. "This match is brought to you by Savage Sauce"! Caprice had a good night, growling away the whole time like a goof. Slim J had a good sprint with Page; I dig how he throws a punch like he's either gonna throw a lariat or slap you real real hard. A welcome participant at DEAN~! for sure. Dalton is still stumbling around, this time drunk instead of high, taking cheese from the craft table, losing his socks and his shoes. I wonder who his "friend" will be next week. If it's him under a mask acting all whacked out on pills I wouldn't be surprised. Nyla wants a piece of Billie? If I was her I would run. The multi-persons at the end were okay I guess. Funny thing about the men's is that all the flippy-dos got to do their thing and at the end, the one normal wrestler just runs in and pins somebody, haha. Best match of the show was probably the Proving Ground tag in the middle -- and yes, that is me saying I liked a Kingdom match! You can probably blame Filthy Tom for me paying attention, but Rosser was the surprise, would like to see more of him. There was some nice double team work in this one. Maybe a little heavy on the strike exchanges but what are you gonna do, it's 2024, the trope isn't old enough to go away yet. I mean I saw a flatliner version tonight so some stuff never goes away.

• Like 3

Love to see a Raychell Rose appearance, or "Araya Thorn" here since there's already a Rachael & Rose in ROH.  fun short match with Billie. Almost thought an upset was possible via Nyla distraction but welcome back Athena! 

This week's women's 4 corner survival was another short one but a nice win for Diamante.  The 8 man tag was a nice win for Shane Taylor & Moriarty.  solid win for Big Shotty over Gravity. 

the Women's TV Title Tournament finally begins next week.  Main event men's 4 corner survival was a great spotfest and match of the night. Everyone shined here, AR fox back after disappearing for a few months.

Lexi rules in all her segments. Nice ending to get one more Nyla/Athena segment in. 

• Like 1

The Workhorsemen win over Sayrus/Brillante RB was a fantasic showcase. Drake and Henry are such an excellent team, but their opponents were also tremendous in their role. Let's run back the Workhorseman v FTR on Collision some time soon. Or here. Throw the subscribers and live audience a bone with a real nice bout.

• Like 2

Nice opener from Queen Aminata vs. J-Rod. Glad it wasn't a total squash and J-Rod got to look good for awhile. Aminata always kills it. Looks like a fun tournament, looking at the bracket I'm guessing a Billie vs Taya final. 

Leyla/Rachael was awesome. Nice story with the injury playing in to it, great finish. Would personally love to see Leyla as champ. Mercedes/Adora was very good too. Sad for Adora to get bounced in the first round but glad she had a great showing at least.

Nice to see Kenny King back in ROH, short but solid match with Dalton.  Great main event from Diamante and Kiera. Like Adora, I would've liked to see Kiera go further but an enjoyable match. The women's TV title tournament has definitely delivered the goods thus far.  Looking forward to Athena/Nyla 2/3 falls tables match coming up. 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 1

The lack of ROH on Honorclub engagement here suggests this program leaves a little or a lot to be desired. This week’s show was challenging and required the aid of FFWD. It is nice to see them ramp of the Women's Division. Patience is a fair request. I also love that the wrestlers are given promo time. But... second takes aren't a bad idea. Having more of a plan isn't a bad idea. A lot of really bad community theater on this show currently. It's a low budget show, but a keen eyed writer (so to speak)/producer wouldn't be the worst idea.

I skimmed Aminata v J-Rod. Nice to see the Queen pick up the victory. The Infantry v Midnight Heat felt a bit sloppy. Infantry have looked good, like in the Taylor/Moriarty bout, but other weeks look a bit out of place. I'm pulling for this team, but hoping they shed some of the corniness. I skimmed Leyla v Ellering. I sorta liked the finish, but didn't have enough invested. Nyla Rose/Athena segment was alright. I really like this feud pairing, and the fresh start for Rose. Outrunners v locals was fine, I guess. I really like the Outrunners, but Floyd/Truth seem almost uncomfortable being on offense. A hole in their game perhaps? Infantry/Moriarty promo made the Infantry look like boneheads, but I'm all for Lee getting reps in. Bryan Keith v Slice Boogie was fine. Keith needs a better finisher. A somersault stunner is not gonna cut the mustard in a company where stunner/cutters are so prevalent. I skimmed Mercedes Martinez v Adora. Mercedes is a total pro. Rachel promo was awkwardly bad. Archer/Righteous squash has me wishing for a Dutch/Archer tag team. Please! Both need direction anyway, and they have nice chemistry. Vincent might be better off on the floor managing - if we can't have Jake. Infantry/Outrunners segment was pretty shitty. Dalton Castle v Kenny King was going alright. Kenny King is a good hand. The post match Taya/Johnny insertion was pretty terrible. Johnny/Taya/Dalton are capable, but this is all incredibly lame and does not provide nearly enough laughs to justify the attempt.  Nyla/Athena promos were kinda shitty too. I love that Nyla is playing more to her wacky personality. And again, here for the big match. Second takes and a couple more interesting matches would've served this episode a lot better. 

• Like 2

AEW Developmental is so rough in parts. I love that they're doing all these promo reps, but the success rate has been a bit underwhelming. I accept it for the sake of the reps, but if any Coaches are listening in - Please allow and push for more takes. Also Coach, please consider a couple less matches while offering a couple more competitive matches. Lastly, I don't think I'm alone with a desire to see less 4, 5, 6 ways. 

10 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I didn't even remember this was on last week, and I had more than one reminder from the Discord where we watch it. 

This was a challenging episode to recommend, but I think @Dreambroken is on to something. It's worth drawing attention to the focus and commitment ROH is placing on the Women's Division. Seems clear Athena's World Title is the most important belt on this show. Nyla-Athena was the focus of this episode alongside the 4 Women's TV Title Tournament matches. I hope some of the fans calling for more Ladies Action over the past few years find their way to ROH. All your favorites are here and they're busting loose. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DreamBroken said:

Supercard of Honor is confirmed for April 5 at the Liacouras Center in Philly. 

I haven’t even watched ROH in a year but I’m going to this show (the day after DEAN~! in Jersey).

• Like 3

I intended to just go Thursday for DEAN~! but the idea of ROH the next day sounds really tempting.  But then there's a weird slippery slope where if I consider ROH then there's other shows going on so what about them.  In the end it comes down to finances so who knows.

• Like 3

It's the One Year Anniversary episode of Honor on HonorClub! 

Taya vs Sussy Love was a real fun opener this week. Thought Sussy looked great, loved some of her unique moves throughout. 

Red Velvet vs Sandra Moone was also awesome, good near falls and a great finish.  Fun to get a rare Danhausen match. 

Abadon/Viva Van is another solid one. Some great looking matches setup for round 2. 

Billie vs Robyn ruled. Loved Robyn's sunset power bomb to the outside, looked killer. Robyn and AR Fox are the 2 people to compete on episode 1 and now episode 52.  Nice promos from Aminata and Billie later on.

This week's 4 corner survival was pretty great. Exodus Prime fit right in with Sydal, Fox, and Komander, everybody had some good shine.

Main event was suitably epic for a feud blowoff. Nice drama throughout and loved the visual of them surrounded by tables before the properly brutal looking finish. Another excellent Athena defense.

• Like 4

A year in, ‘Lee Johnson in action’ kinda sums up the general direction of ROH on Honour Club. I skimmed the Taya v Sussy Love opener. Had some trouble getting into it. Red Velvet v Sandra Moon was solid. Sandra Moon, minus all the corny slapping of the mat, was as good here as anybody in this tournament. I hope to see more of her. Sign Sandra Moon! Johnny TV/Taya Promo was fine. I think I prefer Taya as the corner person. But let's get that TV v Castle match happening already. Not something that needs an Epic build. Danhausen v Brandon Cutler was a bizarre bit of comedy. Not everything was successful. I really like both Cutler and Cabana as wrestlers, and would love to see them do a far more serious bid as a team. Cutler is easily the most underrated wrestler in the company. He seems to have no business being as capable as he is. I skipped Abadon v Viva Van, but happy Abadon is finally getting some reps. Ethan Page v Anthony Henry was well contested. I find Ethan Page to be an Irritating babyface. So disingenuous by his inability to make himself believable as a ‘good guy’. Face Ethan Page is a complete turd! He makes Elite Cody seem like Austin ‘98. Further, the Ego’s Edge looks like a nasty bump, and seems like a ridiculous finisher for a lower card act. Page’s promo later was a  nice addition to the catalog of Ethan Page in ROH: (Dr. Hibbert says) Bad Baby-Face, uh huh-huh! Still, for many of these reasons he's a great natural heel. I am a big fan of heel Ethan Page. Queen Amanita promo was excellent. Her last was fairly rough stuff, but here, round 2, the Queen nailed it! Keep up the reps and it’ll be a Bright future for the Queen. Billie Starks v Renegade was fine. Starks hitting two topes and having the third reversed felt worthy of somebody calling this match ‘Indieriffic’. Starks has the potential to be a huge star in the not so distant future. I like seeing her getting reps on ROH both in ring and on the mic. Even if I find the current act a touch forced on the mic. Komander v Fox v Sydal v Exodus Prime was pretty good for a 4 way. Love seeing Fox back in the fold. I can't stand Sydal's gear, I hate it so much, but nonetheless, he’s such a great hand. I love Komander. The Tables match concept ought to have died in 1995 along with the Public Enemy. That said Athena v Nyla was as good as this gimmick will allow. I’m pretty sure ECW concluded their version with a pin which would have been better, but more tedious in a 2/3. I'd love a world of pro wrestling where table spots were used rarely and never as a match stipulation. Hate for the stipulation aside, I thought these two were tremendous. The ROH champions, outside of Athena and Fletcher, never appearing feels shitty to ppl that pay money to watch this show. Please keep the belts on ppl on this show. That said, pleased to see the promo reps. I'm also wondering if some of the lower card younger talent we've seen for a long time now might benefit from excursions? I'm obviously not referring to the excellent stable of mechanics - namely the Horsemen, Nese, Sydal, etc. I love seeing the young future stars like Starks and Amanita get much needed reps. Hook, Julia Hart, Anna Jay, Private Party, could all benefit greatly from working these shows weekly in Competitive botus. The word of mouth might also benefit some interest in this completely forgettable show.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

I understand being a good employee but Ian saying on social media that “yesterday was the best episode in ROH history” might strain credibility.

Unless he only means in the TK Era. 

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I understand being a good employee but Ian saying on social media that “yesterday was the best episode in ROH history” might strain credibility.

Unless he only means in the TK Era. 

That's on brand for Riccaboni. He's prone to ridiculous overstatements. The TK Era had some particularly solid episodes in the Dean reviewing era. I hadn't seen more than a handful of ROH TV episodes prior to the Khan purchase. All the shows I'd ever seen were  poorly conceived. Poorly conceived enough that I did not return the next week nor for years after. I guess TV has never really played to this promotion's stengths. 

Matt and I have been discussing this. I did some googling to see what people claimed were the “best episode ever” in the past. Given some of the ones listed involved the Bucks, just another example of YMMV on people’s reviews. 😀

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Matt and I have been discussing this. I did some googling to see what people claimed were the “best episode ever” in the past. Given some of the ones listed involved the Bucks, just another example of YMMV on people’s reviews. 😀

To be fair, it was Bucks vs Kingdom vs reDRagon which is not just "the Bucks."

14 minutes ago, Matt D said:

To be fair, it was Bucks vs Kingdom vs reDRagon which is not just "the Bucks."

One of the others was Briscoes vs Bucks, so I was thinking of both of those. 

But since I prob never watched more than 1 episode of ROH TV from the Sinclair Era forward, I'm relying on other people's thoughts, which, again is dubious, especially considering the subject. 

I saw a Bucks v Briscoes bout from ROH that featured some ridiculous nearfalls. As well as some of the other regular criticisms the Bucks still routinely receive. In some cases, from ppl that aren't even watching the current matches. I sense the critics have some weight as to why the Jacksons were overrated in their less polished PWG/ROH days. That said, those criticisms feel pretty tired and passe in 2024. Especially after 5 years of a consistently fun catalog against an assortment of teams of varying skill levels. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus

On 2/23/2024 at 4:43 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I watched a fair amount of Sinclair ROH but really don't remember much of anything from it. Just solid, plain-jane wrestling to stick in your eyeholes. Who were the big champs and angles from back then?

Matt Taven, Dalton Castle, Cody Rhodes.

Pre-AEW, they did a lot of crossover between New Japan and the Bullet Club, which played out a lot over NJPW and ROH. And they did basically produce the original All In event. 

The formation of AEW and then the pandemic were huge blows to any type of chance of ROH had of becoming a challenger brand. 

Edited by TheVileOne

On 2/23/2024 at 7:43 PM, Curt McGirt said:

I watched a fair amount of Sinclair ROH but really don't remember much of anything from it. Just solid, plain-jane wrestling to stick in your eyeholes. Who were the big champs and angles from back then?

Jay Lethal was world champion and TV champion at the same time. Marty Scurll, who should have won the world title instead of Matt Taven, formed Villain Enterprises with PCO and Brody King after The Elite left.