DVDVR Message Board

2024 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And it's apparently taken from the scraps of the never-completed TV show.

Hey so was Mullholland Drive. Ooh, now I want Maui to fight the dumpster monster lady. 

• Haha 1

@Contentious C

The first Despicable Me is cute. A nice premise and the minions are fun. People saw it, and were like, "Those little minions sure are fun!" Hollywood heard that and was like, "YOU LIKE THOSE MINIONS!?!?! YOU LIKE THEM, DO YA!?!!? WELL, HERE'S EIGHTEEN FUCKING MORE MOVIES WITH THE LITTLE FUCKERS AND THEY'RE GOING TO GET MORE ANNOYING WITH EACH ONE!!! YOU LIKE THAT!?!?!" as Hollywood tends to do.

Edited by Log

It's the Lunch Box Disease. As soon as you can put it on a lunch box, we're getting more. 

(Well, I dunno... do kids still use lunch boxes? Do they all carry thermally-lined lunch bags now?)

Edited by Curt McGirt

If they're so afraid to do anything original because of the risk of not making money, why are they so willing to take their worn-out properties, make junk they don't even like, and take the loss on it? It makes no fucking sense to me. And they won't even take a low-ball offer to make SOME money back?

[philosophy mode] Here at the end of capitalism, it looks like auto-cannibalism. They've made so much they have now lost all sense of purpose and will cut off their noses to spite their faces. Anything, just to feel... something. Is it suicide, or just masochism? Self-destructive pride? Total hubris? [/philosophy mode]

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Log said:

@Contentious C

The first Despicable Me is cute. A nice premise and the minions are fun. People saw it, and were like, "Those little minions sure are fun!" Hollywood heard that and was like, "YOU LIKE THOSE MINIONS!?!?! YOU LIKE THEM, DO YA!?!!? WELL, HERE'S EIGHTEEN FUCKING MORE MOVIES WITH THE LITTLE FUCKERS AND THEY'RE GOING TO GET MORE ANNOYING WITH EACH ONE!!! YOU LIKE THAT!?!?!" as Hollywood tends to do.

Yeah, every trailer from this interminable decade of their overwrought dross looked like some kind of sanitized Looney Tunes/Three Stooges bunch of bullshit that I already saw when I was 6 and had no interest in revisiting as a grown-ass adult, except in its original form.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Well so much for that idea

I saw a comment elsewhere about this likely just being a ploy so they didn't get into trouble for their current shelving strategy after some senator commented about looking over the practice of shelving movies like this for tax write offs. Place the price so highly no one would accept while refusing to negotiate any counteroffers. Supposedly Zaslav never even saw the film.

• Sad 1

Yeah, if they're finding loopholes, there has to be legislation protecting the artistic rights. It's transparent what they're doing. 

Then again, if you think Congress will actively govern anything positive I've got a big shiny nickle for you. It might be made out of wood, but it's well polished. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I will eventually get around to the stuff from the Super Bowl. In the meantime

Scoop

Gillian Anderson, Keeley Hawes, Billie Piper, and Rufus Sewell star in this behind-the-scenes account of Prince Andrew's infamous Newsnight interview.

Here is the aforementioned trailer for Twisters

Daisy Edgar-Jones, Glen Powell and Anthony Ramos

Directed by Lee Isaac Chung (Minari)

This is a sequel to the original (since I have seen some confusion since originally it was supposed to be a remake)

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

Directed by Wes Ball (The Maze Runner movies)

This is set "several generations in the future" of the last movies

Wicked

I can't believe there is actually a trailer. Also note - that there are two movies, they apparently dropped the "Part One" from the title though

• Elphaba = Cynthia Erivo
  • Glinda = Ariana Grande
  • Madame Morrible = Michelle Yeoh
  • The Wizard = Jeff Goldblum

Directed by Jon M. Chu

Just one more you may have missed... (this is the trailer posted a month ago, somewhat different than the one played during the SB)

IF

Starring Ryan Reynolds, Steve Carrell, and Cailey Fleming

Written & Directed by John Krasinski

Premieres May 17

John Krasinski got an ovation like he was the Second Coming last night on Colbert. It was kind of shocking, I think even to the both of them. Pretty sure a "SIMMER DOWN" sign flashed where the cameras didn't see it, haha. Ryan Gosling came out after and didn't get the same! 

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

John Krasinski got an ovation like he was the Second Coming last night on Colbert. It was kind of shocking, I think even to the both of them. Pretty sure a "SIMMER DOWN" sign flashed where the cameras didn't see it, haha. Ryan Gosling came out after and didn't get the same! 

Could it have been because the audience expected them to do puke takes?

Sometimes you want a story that will challenge your beliefs.  Sometimes you want to see something that will redefine beauty for you.  Sometimes you need to be shown where the deepest, darkest emotions you'll ever feel come from.

And then sometimes, you need this:

I'm going to watch this 50 times looping, non-stop.

• Like 3

Random things

Scarlett Johansson will star in Featherwood which is categorized as "crime thriller". It will be directed by Andrea Arnold (American Honey, Big Little Lies)

Tom Cruise is "in discussion" to join the cast of The Movie Critic

Joel Kinnaman and Cara Jade Myers will star in a thriller directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky (The Counterfeiters) entitled Ice Fall