DVDVR Message Board

2024 TV DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

My son has entered the Bluey age of entertainment. Bluey is absolutely fantastic. It’s awesome that a show this well-made is so popular. There are so many episodes that make me tear up. The episode about cricket Is the standout for me and generates a lot of allergies.

• Like 3

Bluey is one the best children’s animated shows ever. Even as an adult I love it, especially the episode where mom and dad are clearly hungover from New Years Eve and just want to lounge about and Bluey and Bingo want to play whale watching.

That and the episode where mom and dad are chilling, but dad is focused on how the kids are never walking normally and mom then catches on as well.

And the Bingo centric episode where she’s going to bed and she’s in space and it’s very dreamy makes me tear up every other time.

• Like 3

BTW, I’m also watching the Gentlemen. I’m baffled. How in the he’ll did Guy Ritchie make this as a movie that pretty much stunk, then he gets to redo it as a tv show and it’s so much better.

Freddy (Daniel Ings) complete meltdown at the will reading in the first episode is so fucking hilarious. I first saw Ings in Lovesick and loved him in that. I just read the profile the NYT did on him and I’m glad he’s getting more exposure now. He’s super talented. And they somehow figured out a way to make Theo James’ boringness work.

4 minutes ago, J.H. said:

Wasn't Lobo's deal that he was kinda Sgt. Bilko level shady pr am I remembering it wrong?

James

Something like that, which makes you wonder how he got a spin-off show. That's like the Dukes spinoff being about Boss Hogg and Roscoe and not Enos.

20 hours ago, Greggulator said:

My son has entered the Bluey age of entertainment. Bluey is absolutely fantastic. It’s awesome that a show this well-made is so popular. There are so many episodes that make me tear up. The episode about cricket Is the standout for me and generates a lot of allergies.

There’s some heavy shit that sneaks its way into episodes very subtly, too. The one where Chilli’s friend visits and it’s heavily implied that she’s drifted away because she can’t have kids and it’s hard for her to be around the Heelers and see them so happy. 

There’s also a moment in the episode where the girls are putting on a show for their parents re-enacting how they met. Bingo is pretending to be pregnant with a balloon under her shirt. The balloon pops and Bandit quickly grabs Chilli’s hand and gives her a sad look. I took that as them having a miscarriage at some point. Tears me up every time. 

There’s some lighter, fun subtle stuff too, like the hungover episode. On one of the newer ones where they’re at the pharmacy and the kids are using the video screens to find their friend, the bulldog dad is buying protein powder and takes a hit of breath spray before talking to one of the moms. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Log said:

There’s some heavy shit that sneaks its way into episodes very subtly, too. The one where Chilli’s friend visits and it’s heavily implied that she’s drifted away because she can’t have kids and it’s hard for her to be around the Heelers and see them so happy. 

There’s also a moment in the episode where the girls are putting on a show for their parents re-enacting how they met. Bingo is pretending to be pregnant with a balloon under her shirt. The balloon pops and Bandit quickly grabs Chilli’s hand and gives her a sad look. I took that as them having a miscarriage at some point. Tears me up every time. 

There’s some lighter, fun subtle stuff too, like the hungover episode. On one of the newer ones where they’re at the pharmacy and the kids are using the video screens to find their friend, the bulldog dad is buying protein powder and takes a hit of breath spray before talking to one of the moms. 

Oh my God. All of this. I still haven’t seen the couple episodes Disney+ didn’t add because of the content in the episode. I should try to seek those out. But yeah, some of those episodes are really heavy. There’s the one with the couple that’s growing apart too, I think it’s one of the Heeler’s brothers or sisters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Oh my God. All of this. I still haven’t seen the couple episodes Disney+ didn’t add because of the content in the episode. I should try to seek those out. But yeah, some of those episodes are really heavy. There’s the one with the couple that’s growing apart too, I think it’s one of the Heeler’s brothers or sisters.

Whoa! I had no idea there were Bluey episodes not on there! I need to find them. 

Well well. The Price Is Right just had on the Cliffhanger game and the lady actually won it. I don't think the crowd had ever seen that, either. (Side note: A thermos with a handle is now $45?!?!)

Drew is dressed like he's taken a visit to UPHOLSTERY MAN Clothing Emporium and Appliances. 

22 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

(Side note: A thermos with a handle is now $45?!?!)

You've not heard of the Stanley craze?

I have a 13-year-old daughter, so I'm all too aware.

25 minutes ago, Log said:

A wrestling promotion needs a modern day Missy Hyatt who hits people with her Stanley Cup instead of a Gucci bag.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Log said:

Oh I have but my question is Why? All I've heard is that it was a trend to gift people those things and that's all. I mean, they are a chunk of plastic lined with metal with a lead ball in the bottom, why am I spending $45 for this besides peer pressure and greedy companies raising prices due to demand. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

Man, the Greg Giraldo episode of Dark Side of Comedy is on and I miss Tough Crowd so much. Who could go on there currently if Comedy Central had any balls at all and brought it back? 

EDIT: Also... goddamn am I similar in personality to Greg Giraldo. In all the good and bad ways. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Oh I have but my question is Why? All I've heard is that it was a trend to gift people those things and that's all. I mean, they are a chunk of plastic lined with metal with a lead ball in the bottom, why am I spending $45 for this besides peer pressure and greedy companies raising prices due to demand. 

99% of fads could be described like that.

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

So I don't have a Stanley, I have Hydro Flasks (which are basically the same, just different form factors), so I can tell you why.

1) They aren't plastic, they're metal. Like almost all metal (except the lid, of course). They're darn near indestructible. I've dropped Hydro Flasks from the top of scissor lifts 15 feet up and it only got scuffed. Not even dented. The lid didn't crack or anything.

2) They keep water cold for a really long time (they're double-wall insulated, I've had water stay cold for almost two days in this thing). I left mine in a car in the middle of summer by accident for several hours... came back and the ice inside was still rattling around, and everything was nice and cold. (They do the same for hot drinks, I'm told, but I don't like hot drinks.)

I've bought at least six for myself over the last decade, and it's not because they've worn out or they go bad or anything, it's because I'm awful about remembering where I put things. You'd think I'd take advantage of the carabiner loop and put it on my bag, but nope. I used to have Nalgenes but I'm almost exclusively on Hydro Flasks (I take a Nalgene to the gym because I can - and sometimes will - lose a $10 Nalgene there but I'd be distraught about losing my $40 Hydro Flask). The Stanley is primarily for the form factor (handle, larger size) and because of the cuter colors, but they're almost as rugged as Hydro Flasks are from what my friends tell me. When you have water bottles that you take with you everywhere and you need a super tough option, your choice for "rugged" options in colors are usually like... black. Grey. Ugly shades of green. Ew.

So if you're comparing them to a Nalgene or a lunchbox Thermos that will break if you drop it off a desk, it's not the right comparison because they're a different product with different construction and different quality. I think they're worth it because I put my water bottles through absolute heck.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mister TV said:

A wrestling promotion needs a modern day Missy Hyatt who hits people with her Stanley Cup instead of a Gucci bag.

Maybe Edge or Christian still have that 2001 KOTR trophy that looked suspiciously like the Stanley Cup trophy. 

My question of WHY still stands. Were they on a TV show or something? Did Tay-Tay pimp them in an interview? Favorite cup of a Marvel character (Natural would have mentioned something about that, I think)?

I've used some form of a Stanley (dunno the brand name) for years myself. I got a big black monstrosity that will keep ice rattling in a 90 degree car for at least a couple hours. 

Re: Shogun, they are apparently gonna axe the show at the one season, regardless of its success, or maybe because of that since they feel they said all they have or they should with the story. That's... a first, sounds like. 

EDIT: Heh, found some neat Hydro Flasks 

Spoiler

61ffwDefhqL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61cexs65jnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Curt McGirt