DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 12/20 - 12/26/2023 - I'll Be Rihome for Christmas

Dolfan in NYC

20 hours ago, John E. Dynamite said:

Who's letting all these cops onto the board?

I have a lot of post-Acclaimed fantasy booking ideas, though. Involving MJF's post championship programs, Jay White getting his win back, Billy's retirement match and a Bowens singles run. Most of it is pretty obvious and I'd like to see some action in that regard first-half 2024. 

Trust me, no cop here. I'm just kind of burnt out on the team. Maybe that's on me and my moods lately but whatever the reason I'm just not connecting like I was previously. 

On 12/24/2023 at 3:05 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

ECW only ever did Elimination style and the matches were all the better for it. I don’t recall the 2 on 1 scenario ever being something that hindered a whole lot of bouts nor did it ever become some repetitive trope.

Okay, but did they provide any sort of explanation as to why there weren't constant double teams in Three Way Dances? Or did they just figure no one would care?

You can arguably get around the problem by only booking three-way matches when all three people hate each other enough that an alliance is unlikely, no matter how strategically advantageous it would be. But modern promoters use them for things like tournament tiebreakers where that wouldn't necessarily apply.

And maybe I'm being unfair. I mean, thinking about it further I do allow genre conventions to override the "humans should act like humans" rule to some extent. I'm fine with superheroes having secret identities, for example, even if the reason why they keep them a secret is sometimes shaky. I suppose the difference is that secret identities have been part of the modern superhero genre since its beginning in Action Comics #1, while three-way matches have only been a part of wrestling for what, thirty years or so? Maybe they're too recent an addition for me to just accept that wrestlers mostly stick to the spirit of the match just because.

It's generally thought that the first three-way match, which popularised the concept, was Shane Douglas vs Sabu vs Terry Funk from ECW The Night the Line Was Crossed,  Feb 5th 1994. Which was different because it started as a singles number one contender's match, with the idea that the Champion would only join both competitors if they went to a 15 minute draw.

Although ECW themselves didn't do another one until the Thee-Way Dance tag team match in mid-95. They didn't become a regular thing for a couple of years after that... it took WWF doing them to set the "First pin wins" and establish the formula of one person being thrown out to the floor and only returning to make the save on a near-fall.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, username said:

I think most would agree that this trios run has just done the Acclaimed no favors, the sooner they drop the belts and return to being just a regular tag team the better it'll be for everyone... well everyone not named Billy Gunn I guess.

Yeah. That title change puzzled me. The House of Black was killing it and the Acclaimed absolutely did not need those titles. I’d like to see HOB regain gold next year. Maybe International for Brody and the tag titles for Black & Matt…

It really sucks if Black’s back is still fucked up to where he just sticks to tags. Also kinda crazy that how many of the former NXT signings are just busted. Black, Lee, KOR, Cole, and maybe a couple others are just snakebit. And you could maybe even lump Andrade or PAC into that too, but they were both main roster guys and PAC has been in AEW since nearly the beginning.

Sooner or later Black may just need back surgery because the acupuncture therapy he’s doing isn’t the miracle cure he thought it was. I also don’t even understand how PAC could have gotten hurt while recovering from another injury.

Everything about the Shayna Wayne segment was so awful. She isn't talented enough to be on TV. Her promo was predictably bad even though she clearly spent a lot of time memorizing it. The whole thing plays into the worst misogynistic instincts of everyone who writes for this company. You have Christian talking about negging a woman into fucking him (while Nick stands around with the same derpy look he always has) and Kelly's stupid and poorly-delivered Karen jokes going on in the background. Shameful stuff, worse than even the tag title setup that was so bad it gave Kenny diverticulitis.

The CC stuff was good this week, though. Loved Garcia getting a W, and Menard going more face than heel as their relationship evolves.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also kinda crazy that how many of the former NXT signings are just busted.

Now people hate to admit this... but we may need to accept that some of the at the time considered baffling WWE releases weren't. We all thought they were nuts for dropping Black and particularly Lee so early into their runs but if it turns out they just had more info and felt that there was only so much time left to get full use out of them and it wasn't worth it with younger people in their system... I could see not agreeing but it is at least a fair conclusion to reach.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Okay, but did they provide any sort of explanation as to why there weren't constant double teams in Three Way Dances? Or did they just figure no one would care?

You can arguably get around the problem by only booking three-way matches when all three people hate each other enough that an alliance is unlikely, no matter how strategically advantageous it would be. But modern promoters use them for things like tournament tiebreakers where that wouldn't necessarily apply.

And maybe I'm being unfair. I mean, thinking about it further I do allow genre conventions to override the "humans should act like humans" rule to some extent. I'm fine with superheroes having secret identities, for example, even if the reason why they keep them a secret is sometimes shaky. I suppose the difference is that secret identities have been part of the modern superhero genre since its beginning in Action Comics #1, while three-way matches have only been a part of wrestling for what, thirty years or so? Maybe they're too recent an addition for me to just accept that wrestlers mostly stick to the spirit of the match just because.

I don't quite follow your fixation on double teaming in Three Way matches. I've never known it to be any sort of issue. Nor can my imagination render a scenario where Double Teaming in a Three Way would be any kind of problem. Perhaps you oughtta take a look at some elimination style matches to eliminate some of your peculiar assumptions. 

25 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I don't quite follow your fixation on double teaming in Three Way matches. I've never known it to be any sort of issue. Nor can my imagination render a scenario where Double Teaming in a Three Way would be any kind of problem. Perhaps you oughtta take a look at some elimination style matches to eliminate some of your peculiar assumptions. 

Can you elaborate on what assumptions you think I'm making? I'm unclear on what you're trying to say at this point.

On Collision, the damn Continental Classic was damn near perfect! The draw between Bryan and Claudio was great and logical. They went all out, but held back during the match just enough not to be able to settle the match within 20-minutes, alhough Claudio sure did try to pull it off in the final seconds!

Garcia not giving up despite being destroyed and getting the win with a wrestling move was also very good. Daddy Magic trying to protect him from the post-match attack by HOB was touching.

Eddie pulled it off against (not all but still) bad odds and getting the chance to avenge his loss to Danielson by this huge win over Andrade.

The trios match was exciting, I could have done with a title change here, but Top Flight Action got pretty damn close, anyway! Maybe target the ROH six man titles as soon as possible?

Women's tag went pretty much the way I thought it would. Rosa could definitely challenge Julia after the PPV. Abadon winning the title would be very shocking, despite their impressive win-loss record. Haven't basically all their losses come in title matches prior to this? Skye Blue's new attire was impressive to say the least. She seemed to have suprisingly good cohesion with Julia.

I liked the fact that Brian Cage and Keith Lee gave at least 15% of the agile flying stuff from their previous matches in this one. I was expecting even less than that. Either way, it wasn't what it once was, but still impressive power stuff with some agility thrown in!

So, the other League was as predictable as possible until unpredictable (in the worst way possible) 3-way league final, while the other one was unpredictable until the predictable (in the best way possible) league final. Well, given the participants, any combination should make for at least a very good match at World's End! You're in a pretty good place if Mox vs Danielson in the finals is literally the most boring outcome of this thing!

The damn Rampage has once again not found its way to DANZ as of yet!

• Like 1