DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

A few years ago, Dabo would've been the pretty obvious choice, but the way it kinda looks like the game has started to pass him by makes it a lot less of a slam dunk.

Plus, the amount of pressure that job is going to come with is probably impossible to overstate. I just don't know who they get that can handle the pressure and do the job.

Kiffin has gone out of his way to kiss SO MUCH Saban/Bama ass to set himself up as the successor. The second Dan Lanning is announced as the guy, Kiff is going full heel.

Edited by EVA

51 minutes ago, EVA said:

Kiffin has gone out of his way to kiss SO MUCH Saban/Bama ass to set himself up as the successor. The second Dan Lanning is announced as the guy, Kiff is going full heel.

Bruce Feldman had a very vague report about Lanning's contract having some weird structure and that it would cost even more than his $20 million buyout to get him free. I know Alabama spends money on football, but that's a lot of fucking money.

The smart play for Lanning is to turn the job down, keep winning at Oregon, then in three or four years when the poor sap they do hire gets fired for not being Nick Saban, then take the job.

The numbers seem quaint in retrospect, but bear in mind that Bama massively reset the market on coach salaries when they hired Saban, and people thought they were crazy to do it. They’ll do it again if they feel that strongly about the new guy.

Lots of credible Bama insiders reporting that Lanning is in Tuscaloosa tonight. He didn’t fly across the country for an interview (if he, in fact, did)

EDIT: That’s also being reported on the Oregon side of things now, too.

Still seems kinda hazy, though.

Edited by EVA

1 hour ago, EVA said:

The numbers seem quaint in retrospect, but bear in mind that Bama massively reset the market on coach salaries when they hired Saban, and people thought they were crazy to do it. They’ll do it again if they feel that strongly about the new guy.

Lots of credible Bama insiders reporting that Lanning is in Tuscaloosa tonight. He didn’t fly across the country for an interview (if he, in fact, did)

The AD did repeatedly say to the team he planned to announce the hire within 72 hours.

Lanning's insistence about Oregon might possibly have been more about TAMU than Oregon.

10 hours ago, EVA said:

Lanning is probably the one guy I don't want to see them hire. I think the dude is a legitimate good coach and is one meaningful season away from being viewed that way.

I also don't see the allure of leaving Oregon for him. He's building a recruiting machine there, and I think Oregon will do well in the Big Ten overall as they're probably in the top 3-4 or higher in that conference just by joining. 

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Oh hey, I bet Rich Rod wouldn't turn them down this time.

Bama AD Greg Byrne actually hired RichRod at Arizona! So maybe not AS crazy as you might think…and he’s just right down the road at Jacksonville State. He could be in Tuscaloosa in time for brunch today.

But seriously, I’ve been trying to sift through the noise, and besides Dan Lanning, I think these are the other two names to really pay attention to:

1. Kalen DeBoer. Obviously very hot after what he’s accomplished at Washington. Also a Jimmy Sexton client. Bama actually tried to hire his OC earlier this year, so his system is clearly well thought of in Tuscaloosa.

2. Mike Novell. He’s actually the slightly older, more accomplished version of Lanning IMO (Lanning was even on staff with/for Norvell at Pitt, AZ State, and Memphis). Might be willing to move on from FSU for the same reason FSU wants to move on from the ACC after this year’s CFP debacle. Plus the $$$, naturally.

I think Steve Sarkisian has the reputation within Bama that Lane Kiffin wishes he had, but I don’t think the timing is right for Sark to even really consider a move, and I doubt he’ll be seriously approached.

Even as recently as, like, 2 years ago Dabo Swinney and Mario Cristobal would’ve been serious players but…it’s been a rough 2 years for their reputations. Dabo is looking more and more like post-2011 Les Miles, and Mario is cementing his rep as a guy who can recruit but not coach.

19 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Lanning is probably the one guy I don't want to see them hire. I think the dude is a legitimate good coach and is one meaningful season away from being viewed that way.

I also don't see the allure of leaving Oregon for him. He's building a recruiting machine there, and I think Oregon will do well in the Big Ten overall as they're probably in the top 3-4 or higher in that conference just by joining. 

Lanning is a super promising coach. He knows what it takes to compete at the Bama/UGA level because of his experiences at those places, and he would be an absolute dog on the recruiting trail, which is a must for whoever gets hired.

But we are evaluating him based on a very small sample size as an HC. And within that sample…what exactly are his greatest accomplishments on the field? 0 championships. 1-4 record against his rivals, including losing a get-back game against Washington this year, which great coaches almost never lose.

That said, the only no-brainer, slam dunk, this-party-will-never-end candidate is Kirby, and he ain’t answering the phone. So any other choice is going to have a mix of pro’s and con’s and hinge on accurately weighing that decisional balance. So I don’t hate taking a swing on potential here. If Lanning hits, you’ve got you’re guy for the next decade+.

Hmm….Not a direct denial 😆

I’m really thinking it’s gonna be DeBoer. Which I have reservations about, but like I said…I have reservations about all these dudes.

There's nobody available with a resume like Saban had in 2007, but DeBoer is a guy that has won everywhere he's been. We've seen quite a few of those guys who were dominant at lower levels come up and succeed in FBS and Power 5 schools, though you have to go back to Tressell at Ohio State to find one that got a job at one of the true power programs. 

I'm not sure Bama has a better answer on paper than him, but I also think taking this job right now is going to be a nightmare for anybody. If you don't win a Natty by 2026, the fans and boosters are going to be after your head. If you aren't winning 12 games a year, you're a "failure."

Yahoo is reporting that FSU is getting penalized for various NIL violations. 

This includes a 3 game violation for an assistant coach and disassociation from a booster group.  

Lane Kiffin is the Invader 1 of football. Or Buck Zumhofe. Or Abdullah the Butcher. Or…shit those really aren’t good examples. He’s as dang slimy as they are, but for some reason I don’t want to choke 2 of those guys myself in spite of everything like I do Kiffin. And the 1 that I’d be down to choking to death myself doesn’t have the ability to say he was always somehow mildly relevant through lying and and causing trouble without getting in trouble the way Kiffin has. And he was never really good at what he did, or was supposed to be doing or…Idk. I can’t believe he keeps going around and coming back around somehow. He’s the worst coach ever but every few years he’s in the discussion about being the coach at whatever major school has an opening. And he just looks like a pile of slime. I can’t believe football players take him seriously.

I can’t believe we lost Saban, Carroll, and BB in the same few days. That’s like 75% of all of football of the last 20 years. I wonder if Saban is going to the Pats. One of the more wilder, but still repeated by some, conspiracies is that Saban carried Bill in Cleveland. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EVA said:

The Eugene news anchor who kicked the Lanning rumors into overdrive had to walk the plank tonight.

Apologized to everyone - except Lanning. 

Somewhat significant development this morning:

Doesn’t necessarily mean he’s been offered or taken the job, but would indicate that he’s in the mix and definitely DOES NOT want to potentially be put on the spot about the Bama job right now.

HA! I was just coming to post that

The panic that is randomly showing up from the rando Pacific Northwesterns I follow is amusing

Meanwhile in the other part of the state, it sounds like Freeze is pushing out the alumni members of the staff. Carnell Williams and Zac Etheridge are leaving the staff. Odd timing to be having this stuff happening when they should be capitalizing on voldemort being vanquished.