DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2024 OFFSEASON

Cobra Commander

On 12/24/2023 at 1:26 AM, Brian Fowler said:

So apparently the hot rumor in Baton Rouge is that Brian Kelley would very much like the Michigan job if Jim Harbaugh leaves.

Brian Kelly just fired his entire defensive staff, which I’m taking as his tacit acknowledgment of what should be blindingly obvious at this point: if Harbaugh leaves Michigan, the job is Sherrone Moore’s.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, EVA said:

Brian Kelly just fired his entire defensive staff, which I’m taking as his tacit acknowledgment of what should be blindingly obvious at this point: if Harbaugh leaves Michigan, the job is Sherrone Moore’s.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if Moore didn't get the job. 

Alabama center Seth McLaughlin is in the transfer portal.

The only thing surprising about this is that he apparently still had eligibility left, but the Covid year makes it impossible to keep up with everybody’s clock.

There’s a Nick Hausman/CM Punk thing going on with Bama beat writer Tony Tsoukalas on Twitter right now, as he’s giving minute by minute updates on things that clearly only Seth McLaughlin would know, right down to exactly how many schools have contacted him already (unspoken, but presumably to fleece him for intel on Bama, certainly not to snap the football for their team).

5 hours ago, EVA said:

Sherrone Moore just out gameplanned Nick Saban's defense, yeah I would be shocked if he's not offered the job within 24 hours of Harbaugh leaving if Harbaugh leaves.

On 12/8/2023 at 1:44 AM, Brian Fowler said:

So apparently Michigan and Jim Harbaugh are on the verge of finally finishing the extension. 5 years, $55 million.

The alleged final hurdle is Michigan wants language where Harbaugh agrees in writing to not pursue an NFL job this off-season. 

Harbaugh's response to this proposal, btw, was to hire Don Yee, an NFL agent. 

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Taulia Tagovailoa has decided to enter the Transfer Protocol.  

He's also applying for a waiver to have his freshman year at Alabama retroactively reclassified as a redshirt season. If he doesn't get it, he's out of eligibility. (He appeared in five games, one too many, but he only attempted passes in three of them plus he only played five games in the COVID year so he's hoping those two things combined will convince the NCAA to give him one more year.)

If he gets the waiver, Miami feels like a likely landing spot.

2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Taulia Tagovailoa has decided to enter the Transfer Protocol.  

He technically is out of eligibility and has submitted a waiver to the NCAA trying to get another year 

Basically he is trying to get his Freshman year at Alabama counted as a redshirt year. He played in 5 games which is over the limit but his argument is that he played a total of 4 snaps across 2 games so those really shouldn’t count

Speaking of waivers, the NCAA has granted an extra year to Alan Bowman at Oklahoma State.

You may recall him spending time at both Texas Tech (was coached by Kliff Kingsbury) and Michigan. He was in the same recruiting class at Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields.

39 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Miami picked up QB Reese Poffenbarger from the University of Albany.  God I hope nobody introduces him to Miami sports radio with that name

top_plays_68.jpg

I think Reese will be fine.

Tricky Nicky realized being allowed to abuse scholarship rules wasn't enough to compete with NIL money and he didn't want that headache. 

Greatest college football coach ever - and I'm not sure it's even close - but I'm definitely not sorry to see him go. 

• Like 2

My favorite Nick Saban fact: in his 17 years at Alabama, they won 6 national title games. Of the other 11 winners, 10 of them beat Alabama at some point in the season. Only FSU in 2013 didn't play Bama and won a title. If Auburn had held on to win, or if not for the kick six, it would have been everybody.

That's standing astride college football in a way nobody else ever has or likely ever will.

That said, MICHIGAN ENDED NICK SABAN'S CAREER! HAIL!

• Like 2

Being born in the early 80’s, I spent most of my early years living through the absolute worst of Alabama football. I felt a bit like Tony Soprano and the Italian mafia at the turn of the century —“I came in at the end. The best is over.” Even when Saban came in 2007, I figured it would probably be 4 or 5 good years and a title (maybe two!) before he moved on. I certainly never imagined that I’d find myself living through not only the Second Golden Age of Alabama football, but the greatest dynasty in the history of the game. What an incredible run to live through, and I never took any of it for granted.

Records are made to be broken, but I feel immensely confident in saying that there will never be another one like Saban. One of one. The all-time greatest.

Now: PAIN. The bad days are here again.

• Like 1

God, in just two years the jobs at USC, LSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Nebraska and Alabama have come open, and Michigan still might. That's basically just missing Ohio State from a list of the most historically dominant programs of all-time.

• Like 1

Hey, Pete Carrol is out of a job. Let’s get him in at Bama. Imagine the damage that guy could do now that paying players is legal.

Funniest possible outcome, of course, would be Brian Kelly leaving LSU for Bama. We already know he’s open to leaving!