DVDVR Message Board

NCAAF 2023 - WEEK FOUR

Dolfan in NYC

I'M BACK FROM EUROPE!   To celebrate....   

YOU GET RANKINGZ~!

#1 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952r9rfbbcybh8gkjagppy

#2 giphy.gif

#3 cute-cow.gif

#4 200w.gif?cid=6c09b952y095zollipopaotkhxz

#5 funny-dog-maximus.gif

Note on this week's matchups...  This is the one week you are required to root for Ohio State.  Suck it up, it's for your own good. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Deion says Travis Hunter will miss the next three games

Those games are

• Oregon
  • USC
  • Arizona State

That sucks.  Hate seeing guys get hurt, especially on dirty late hits.

No word yet on whether Shedeur Sanders will be punished for eye poking a CSU lineman.

7 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Note on this week's matchups...  This is the one week you are required to root for Ohio State.  Suck it up, it's for your own good. 

What? This is the one week it's acceptable to cheer for Notre Dame. Go Irish!

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

What? This is the one week it's acceptable to cheer for Notre Dame. Go Irish!

Yeah, what is this nonsense about rooting for Ohio.  I think I could maybe hold my nose long enough to root for Ohio against Alabama but even then I'm not sure.

• Like 2

By the AP poll, we have six games between ranked teams this weekend.

19 Colorado at 10 Oregon

15 Ole Miss at 13 Alabama

22 UCLA at 11 Utah

14 Oregon State at 21 Washington State

24 Iowa at 7 Penn State

6 Ohio State at 9 Notre Dame

There's also 3 FSU at Clemson who was the first team out of the AP poll (nobody seems to give the coaches poll much attention anymore, but FWIW FSU is 4 and Clemson is 23 so you can credibly claim 7 ranked vs ranked games.)

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:01 PM, RIPPA said:

Michigan State has informed Mel Tucker that he is going to be fired with cause

Norm Voice: You know, this Mel Tucker guy seems like a real jerk!

• Haha 1

Is it just me, or does it seem weird to anyone else that this is only the eighth all-time meeting between Ohio and Notre Dame? They played in 35 and 36 (the only two wins for the Irish) and then waited six decades, played in 95 and 96. The Fiesta Bowl matchups in 05 and 15, and now this home and home.

It's weird they never played each other during the multi-decade stretch where they both were regular top five teams and won multiple national titles. Especially given how geographically close they are, and shared rivals.

(I know part of it was Michigan pressured the Big Ten to not schedule the Irish for awhile, but the Michigan/Notre Dame series resumed more than a decade and a half before the Irish and Bucks finally played again.)

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 1

looking through NewsBank articles about Notre Dame/Ohio State going into 1995 and two notes

1) they scheduled the game 10 years earlier in 1985. They opened up dates on the schedule by getting Michigan out of playing Notre Dame. The same year Ohio State announced games against Arizona in 1993/1997/2000 and Florida State in 1996/1999. So they were scheduling games 15 years in advance back then (of course, the Arizona games ended up in 1991/1997/2003, and they never played Florida State in 1996/1999). The AD who scheduled Ohio State/Notre Dame for 1995 had resigned in 1987

2) Woody Hayes was the main roadblock to Notre Dame playing Ohio State because Ohio State already had a big annual game against Michigan and they didn't need another one. At least that was the public-facing reason. That it would "distract from the Big 10 season and going to the Rose Bowl". It being Woody Hayes, i'm sure that less pleasant reasons are also possible. I also read about a 1977 Notre Dame/Ole Miss game in Jackson, MS that was supposed to be the date of a Notre Dame/Ohio State game that Woody wouldn't go for, therefore Notre Dame ended up going to Mississippi (and then hosting Ole Miss at home in 1985)

• Thanks 1

Also my favorite bit about this current Notre Dame/Ohio State home and home.

Notre Dame announced it on the day of what was at the time their last scheduled game with Michigan after ND pulled out of the annual rivalry (and timed it to make sure they got an extra home game on the way out.) It was widely seen at the time that they were announcing it right before playing Michigan as a direct response to Brady Hoke saying the Irish had "chickened out" and Dave Brandon having the the chicken dance played over the PA at the end of the Michigan/ND game the year before (stupid, childish behavior by Hoke and especially Brandon.)

So people kinda saw it as ND saying "chicken? We're scheduling the team that beats the hell out of you every year." Which, you know, was fair at the time.

So it's hilarious to me that now that we've finally gotten to the series (and Michigan and ND even worked another home and home in before this) it just so happens to have come with Ohio coming off getting walloped by Michigan the previous year for both games.

It was so big childishness from a bunch of supposed adult professionals on both sides that ended up meaning nothing. (Michigan and ND eventually have another home and home in the 2030's.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

2) Woody Hayes was the main roadblock to Notre Dame playing Ohio State because Ohio State already had a big annual game against Michigan and they didn't need another one. At least that was the public-facing reason. That it would "distract from the Big 10 season and going to the Rose Bowl". It being Woody Hayes, i'm sure that less pleasant reasons are also possible. I also read about a 1977 Notre Dame/Ole Miss game in Jackson, MS that was supposed to be the date of a Notre Dame/Ohio State game that Woody wouldn't go for, therefore Notre Dame ended up going to Mississippi (and then hosting Ole Miss at home in 1985)

I was about to say "the reason was probably Woody Hayes" 

John Thompson used to do that with Georgetown's schedule - he HATED scheduling teams that could possible beat the Hoyas. Fuck, American upset them in like 1983 and JT NEVER scheduled them again. And that was fucking American. There is a reason Georgetown and Maryland didn't play for decades

• Like 2

LSU safety Greg Brooks, who missed the game this party weekend for a "medical emergency" and has been dealing with vertigo, underwent successful surgery to have a "large" brain tumor removed. They are awaiting biopsy results. 

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/38445518/lsu-safety-greg-brooks-undergoes-surgery-remove-brain-tumor

Edited by Tabe

Colorado confirmed that they will not be punishing Shedeur Sanders for eye poking a CSU lineman last Saturday.  Can't help but feel like the word "Oregon" had a lot to do with why he wasn't punished.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tabe said:

Colorado confirmed that they will not be punishing Shedeur Sanders for eye poking a CSU lineman last Saturday.  Can't help but feel like the word "Oregon" had a lot to do with why he wasn't punished.

heenan2.jpg

“He was just trying to clean some turf off his face mask.”

• Haha 3